BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Making Music On The Pc

Right, at this point in time, I have an urge to have a stab at making music using a computer, and lobbing it onto the internet. I was wondering if anyone else has had a go, and can recommend programmes for such things. I feel like trying something a bit Tomahawkish, or sort of like Aphex Twin, or perhaps even the Chemical Brothers. The criteria are as follows:

1. Easy to put things together.

2. Possible to sample music you already have (although that might get into interesting legal waters I guess)

3. a pretty wide range of sounds.

4. Does not need a musical keyboard.

In short, I'd like something that can perhaps be fairly basic and straightforward, but if I get to grips with it, I can make add-ons and upgrade the programme to more advanced levels. It doesn't really matter whether I can plug in an electrical gituar or whatever, as I actually cannot play an instrument. Hence point number 4. I have ideas, but I'd like something quite simple to put them into practice.

Any suggestions?

Hah, nice analogy. I've seen a few professional standard music making programs (can't remember names though, sorry) and none seem to be able to recreate guitar sounds authentically, I think Aphex Twin type stuff will sound a lot better coming from a computer. However, I would like to think it possible to make Mike Patton-esque music without having knowledge of any instruments.

I used Tomahawk as an example, as it is a bit dark, and strange, and that's what I think I could manage reasonably well. That, or Super Furry Animals kind of stuff. ANyway, I had a quick browse and saw these on sale:

Magix Music Studio

Magix Music maker 12

I'm guessing I need one or both of these, or another package if I'm going to do anything. That's if I don't get bored and go onto another crazy idea in the next 10 minutes!

No, not an insult Billy C, there's an episode where Ross is performing in the coffee shop, he was playing a very wierd collection of music, quite funny but you have to see it to appreciate it. It always springs to mind when people mention making their own music.

Sorry Jim J I shouldn't post in a bad mood. Any mention of Friends brings me out in a rash. To be honest, I'll want to do something else this afternoon, then another thing tomorrow................and so on. Still, any info here might be useful to someone.

Archived