BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Connecting A 360 To The Internet Through A Computer

Ok, so at the moment I need to connect my xbox to the internet through my computer but it isn't working as it says they have the same IP address and things. I'm sure that this is very easy and obvious, but does anyone know how to set it up so that it works?

I presume you are hardwiring your xbox to your router? I have mine connected to my modem/router using the wireless adaptor. Ok it costs a tidy sum for the adaptor but I get great connection and no bloody wires from my box to modem! Better still if you have media centre pc you can use your box to play .wmv movies, music, etc directly from your pc -> xbox -> tv using media centre extender software. Use this link to get started http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/pcsetup/MCE05Lite.htm

Ok, so at the moment I need to connect my xbox to the internet through my computer but it isn't working as it says they have the same IP address and things. I'm sure that this is very easy and obvious, but does anyone know how to set it up so that it works?

EDIT after reading post again!

How have you got the Connection Sharing set up? Your PC should be a DHCP server which means it will give the XBOX in IP address and therefore, no conflict.

Yeah, I am planning on getting the wireless connector but everytime I go to get it I end up leaving with a game instead.

If you are wanting to get a wireless connector, does that mean you already have a wireless router for internet access? Is this not close to the XBOX?

i think this will work for you if i understand your situation properly, however it's not all that easy, especially if your routers IP address is 192.168.0.1 which it might well be. maybe just better to buy the wireless adapter. it's pretty bad that the 360 doesn't have wireless built in. thanks micro$oft! anyway this is copy/pasted from another forum. i think it assumes you're running xp pro sp2 as well. might be different for other versions. brace yourself......

For all who had my issues.

NETWORKING YOUR XBOX

You will need :

• Your xbox 360

• Wireless router with broadband internet connection.

• PC with wireless network card or adapter

• Ethernet cable / crossover cable

Setting up

• Connect your wireless router to your PC. Switch on the router and make sure the internet is working.

• Locate the network socket on PC and plug in one end of the ethernet / crossover cable into it. Plug the other end into your Xbox. (Usally ethernet cable supplied with Xbox works fine but in some cases, due to your network card, you might need a cross over cable)

xbox network

• On your PC, Go to - start > control panel > network and internet connection > network connection

You will see a window, it will have a few connections, two of them will be:

Wireless Network Connection – This is your router

Local Area Connection – This is your Xbox

• Make sure you are connected. Right click on your Wireless Network Connection and select ‘status’. Now click on the ‘support’ tab and select ‘Details’. You will see the following screen:

Carefully, note down your DNS Server number.

If your DNS Server number reads 192.168.0.1 then perform the next step.

If it reads anything else then skip the next step.

• DO THIS STEP ONLY IF YOUR DNS Server number reads 192.168.0.1 Changing IP Address

You will have to change this DNS server no. or it will conflict your IP address. This can be done by changing your router settings. The person who set up your router will know how to do this. You can do it by reading the router manual too. Anyways, it is explained below how to do it. Most of the routers have same setups so it should work for you too. In extreme conditions if it doesn’t work you can do it using your router manual.

Type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar of your Internet Eplorer, This is going to take you to a screen where you have to enter your username and password.

Under advanced set up go to LAN IP setup. do not click or change any DNS setups.

We just want to change the IP. Change the LAN IP address to 192.168.1.1 and then the the IP address ranges also e.g. 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.250. the sub net mask should be 255.255.255.0

In Future, If you want to change your router setting you will have to type 192.168.1.1 in internet explorer.

Take down the number 192.168.1.1, this is your DNS server now.

• Go back to the ‘network connection’ window from the 1st step and Right click on the xbox connection and go to properties. click on internet protocol (TCP/IP) > then click properties.

• You will see a screen similar to one below. Select the “use the following IP address” and “use the following DNS serves addresses” options (if they are not selected already). Enter the following info:

IP address 192.168.0.99

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway (Leave Blank)

Preffered DNS server The no. you made a note of

Now you have to set up your xbox.

For Xbox 360

Make sure your Xbox is on, go to system > network settings > edit setting > then go to IP setting > the manual >

Enter the following info:

IP 192.168.0.100

Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Gateway 192.168.0.99

Press done and go back to ‘edit settings’, Set DNS settings for both primary and secondary as 192.168.0.99

For Xbox you will have to use the xbox live option for the above setup.

Note if there is not an xbox live option when you turn xbox on with no disk in, you will

have to plug xbox directly into your router wired, then put an xbox live game in

and then go to xbox live option in the game, note you do not have to subscribe.

But this then downloads xbox live to xbox which you will then be able to access

when you take the disk out. You can now make your setting through here..

After you have done this your xbox should be connected to your PC.

To check this go to your netwoek connection and you will now see for your Xbox connection as appose to this .

Now you need to use your PC’s internet with xbox to get it online

1) Just like before, go to your PC click start > control panel > network and internet connection > network connection

2) Right click on your Wireless Network Connection and then go to properties. Then click on advance.

Check the box saying ‘allow other users to connect to internet through this computer’. A message should pop up, click yes.

If an error message appears for conflict in IP address, this means you did not change the IP address of your router (DNS server). Please refer above in the manual on how to do so.

Congratulations, now your Xbox / Xbox 360 is connected to internet. Check this through test Xbox live.

If it has not worked then you have not done something properly. Start from beginning and do it over again carefully.

If DNS server fails while testing

set the xbox to obtain dns and IP address automatically

wired network does not show up on network connections

Probably you do not have your wired network card installed

Archived