BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bt Vision

Well my contract was finished with BT so they offered me 8mb for £7 month less than I was paying plus free installation of their recentlyish launched BT Vision service. It will be installed in a few weeks. Anyway, does anyone have any experience with this.

I need some network advice. Current setup is .....

Room1 - Homehub hardwired to PC (XP MCE) and broadband connection

Room2 - HDTV wired to XBOX360. 360 has wireless connection to Homehub.

plus wireless laptop

I am lead to believe the the Vbox must have wired ethernet connection to the home hub and also into TV via RGB (or HDMI) and this would mean installing another phone socket next to the TV, connecting the homehub -> vbox -> TV and making PC in room 1 wireless connection and hardwiring xbox to home. SO would be

Room1 - PC wirelessly connected to homehub in room 2

Room2 - Homehub wired to vbox and 360, both then connected to to HDTV

I am unclear as to which setup would be better. The improtant things for me are:

- no bloody cables trailing through house

- having good 360 connection (works fine now on wireless connector) for online gaming and streaming media content from PC

- decent internet connection on main PC for downloads & work purposes

- i dont know whether I'll actually use vbox much as I can already record TV etc via TV card in PC and can then stream to 360. However the vbox can record directly (160gb) and also has HD freeview receiver (TV has standard freeview).

Can the vbox connect wirelessly to homehub?

How would you network setup?

Also has anyone experience of homeplugs? Are they worth looking at for this?

Also anyone any information on microsoft mediaroom? Is it installed on the vbox? Is it anything much different that WindowsMCE/Extender or vista software. :blink:

I was thinking of getting one of these, so I would also very much like to know about if it needs hard wiring to the home hub.

I have the home hub and phone and I have to say despite the cheap feel of it, it works better than the far more expensive belkin i used to have.

Broadband speed is poor for me but acceptable, especially as it is uncapped usage.

I would be interested to know what you think about the box when you get it. Also, how did you wangle the deal, if you don't mind me asking?

My contract was up and I just rang them and asked "what they could do for me?"

So now Broadband Option 3 - 8mb unlimited downloads for 19.99 a month and free Vbox (199 if you arent on a contract) and free installation (usually 90). I didnt have to ask for anything!! I didnt have the hub phone so they also throwing that in as well! Obviously think they want to get some of the boxes into the marketplace and get people using the service. But its a 3 week wait until installation - i'll post on how it goes.

• 4 weeks later...

It got fitted yesterday and must be wired. New versions in the future will be wireless. It also comes with hdmi as standard, but there is nothing hd broadcasting on it yet.

The recording stuff is working great - very happy with the box. Looking forward to rovers on setanta too!

It got fitted yesterday and must be wired. New versions in the future will be wireless. It also comes with hdmi as standard, but there is nothing hd broadcasting on it yet.

The recording stuff is working great - very happy with the box. Looking forward to rovers on setanta too!

mine was sposed to be installed friday but the guy turns up tuesday instead when i am out! waiting for new date now.

bt v nice on phone and i am in no rush so not to worry!

• 3 months later...

my bt contract was coming to an end so bt offered me a reduced price plus free bt vision.

not that impressed with bt vision as its not much different to my built in tv freeview, as the on demand keeps coming up with an 04 error.

still waiting for it to be sorted as they said it would be sorted by last weekend :angry:

oh by the way its wireless now. signal is run through the electric ring main.

• 2 weeks later...

Eventually got my vision installed after 2 missed appointments.

To be fair to BT I didnt bother reorganising installation for a few months because I wasnt too anxious to get it. In the end the engineer turned up on the same day that I rang. Top guy did the install in about 30mins and spent about 3 days showing me the controls.

And the best thing about the delay is that I too got the wireless option - no messy wires or relocation of my modem.

As for BT vision well.....

I wont be using video on demand - can just download p2p

I may watch some sport on demand but the pub has most away matches and is a better excuse!

I will use the box for recording.

But for free..... its a bargain.

Archived