BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Looking Up..

I can attest to this. I have been feeling the effect of the "winter depression" more and more over the last few years and particularly this past winter. It peaked for me as the days were shortest and darkest, I felt absolutely horrible - to the point where you could see physically that I was not having the best of times. Granted, certain other events happened around this time that wasn´t great but I am pretty certain that it was the lack of sunlight that was the main culprit. Once the days started to brighten up and spring started to come around my mood lifted and now that the summer is here and it is very bright almost most of the time, I feel no ill effects at all. I´ve not had any of this clinically diagnosed though but may take this to my doctor if it persists this winter. I am also planning a trip (about a week) to sunnier climates at some point during december or january when it is darkest here.

it's called SAD Seasonal Affective Disorder

I can attest to this. I have been feeling the effect of the "winter depression" more and more over the last few years and particularly this past winter. It peaked for me as the days were shortest and darkest, I felt absolutely horrible - to the point where you could see physically that I was not having the best of times. Granted, certain other events happened around this time that wasn´t great but I am pretty certain that it was the lack of sunlight that was the main culprit. Once the days started to brighten up and spring started to come around my mood lifted and now that the summer is here and it is very bright almost most of the time, I feel no ill effects at all. I´ve not had any of this clinically diagnosed though but may take this to my doctor if it persists this winter. I am also planning a trip (about a week) to sunnier climates at some point during december or january when it is darkest here.

Obviously not to the same extent as you - and I'm not suggesting that I have SAD either - but I find that there is a noticable difference in my general level of mood between summer and winter, more so than most anyway.

Oh, something else I was going to say:

I hope things are looking up for you now RoversFanUSA and you too for that matter, Ohmi :)

thank you they are.

I think what I posted about kind of misread. I wasn't saying I was depressed in any way I wanted to point out that even though life can somtimes go to crap taking a but of time for yourself can help make you feel better. I know with all that's going on right now for me seems like life in the suck but honestly I've tried and succeeded at finding what good there is in crummy situations. I mean if anyone remembers my posting of my trip I took over yonder, I got stuck in Sheffield on my way back from my first Rovera game and instead of panicing I got myself a room and enjoyed the city and chocked it up to seeing new sites I would have normally passed by.

I do t want people to think I'm depressed because I'm not. I just wanted to share my experance and thoughts

I remember that thing about the Scandanavians in the paper, has something to do with vitamin D deficiency, bright sunlight increases seratonin in the brain which makes you feel better. Apparently as it reduces "depression" it also reduces things that depression is a factor in like heart disease.

More time in the sun, less time in the office or on the damned computer

Archived