BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Migraines

I got my first migraine in about eight months yesterday. As I've got older, the pattern and triggers of my migraines have changed a lot. It got me thinking that mine might noe be triggered by seasonal changes as the weather has rapidly become much warmer down here and a lot sunnier. Last year I got a series of migraines around the May / June / July time and then didn't get another until now.

I don't suppose there's anybody out there who have migraines triggered by the change in seasons?

I've found mine are sometimes triggered by the weather. I've always struggled when the weather gets quite muggy.

Lack of sleep is a bad one for me, if my sleep patterns get disrupted I hav real problems. I was recently prescribed topamax after a 2 week bout of 2 really bad migraines a day.

Oh yeah, lack of sleep and changing sleep patterns used to be far and away my biggests trigger, but this seems to have changed over the last few years. Also, I find I'm more susceptible when I have a very early morning as opposed to a very late night, regardless of how many hours sleep I've had. Cheese was, and I presume still is a massive one too (I've had to completely cut it out of my diet).

I find as well that I'll get one and then have another 1/2/3 over the next few weeks and then go a long haul without any again. So I'm not looking forward to the next month!

Interesting that the muggy weather does it for you, Ricky. Do you have any idea why that might be?

I think I have a mild form of Seasonal Affective Disorder and I'm wondering if mine might be in some way connected to this (although it would probably make more sense if I got migraines when the weather worsened as opposed to improved).

I hope your new prescription gives you a bit of relief. Is topomax a triptan? I had to stop taking them because they'd give me rebound migraines.

I'm a bit neurotic when it comes to pinpointing my triggers. I'm still studying so I can get away with migraines for the most part. I will be working soon though and I'm worried that they might have a big impact on my career.

It's not a triptan, I've had very little success with those to be honest. It's a preentative treatment and it's usually prescribed for epilepsy although it is also used for people with drug addictions. I only took it for a couple of months whilst I was having a really rough time. Stopped taking it now as I didn't want to become dependent on it.

Have been having terrible migaines since the age of 13. now take Nat Muir which is a homeopathic remedy and it works wonders. When I feel the onset of one, when my vison starts to blur, I take one Nat Muir and the worst of it is avoided. No vomitting and the pain is greatly reduced. still have a bit of a headache but I can carry on a funtion with it rather than lock myself away for hours in a dark room.

Suffered from migrains when I was around 13 years old fully sympathise with all migrain sufferers.

My doctor advise me to change my diet drastically - no dairy products, chocolate, icecreams or any fatty foods.

The answer was salads every day and eventually after about two to three years they went, never had one since touch wood.

Remember watching a Rovers away game on the open end at Oldham one winter, as it rained a migrain came on, not a pleasant experience. Having to wait for the game to finish, then walk home from town, vomittng, feeling sick, blurred vision, awful feeling.

Archived