BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Buying a Camera

I'm looking to buy a camera to take high quality photos (will be mostly used for sporting events). I know that we have a few good photographers on here and I was just looking for a bit of advice. Probably looking to spend 400-800.

The latest model being the 550D?

Worth taking in a bundle with a lens?

http://www.fnac.com/Canon-EOS-550D-2-Obj-Canon-EF-S-IS-18-55-mm-f-3-5-5-6-55-250-mm-f-4-5-6/a3086007/w-4

Does that seem worth it?

I found Amazon to be the cheapest for cameras, some might sell without the IS lens so just make sure you buy the right one.

You can find out more about the Canon SLRs here

Compare a couple of cameras, job done :)

Sorry giving you a politician's answer ;) ye the IS lens is a defo and that link should tell you the latest models but I'm pretty sure the EOS550D is newer than the EOS500D.

Oh and if you fancy a different lens for sporting events here's a few, nice prices ;)

The latest model is actually the EOS 600D, in that particular segment. One step up from amateur/entry-level (EOS 1100D), and one step down from enthusiast (EOS 60D).

Personally I'm now considering a smaller, enthusiast compact such as the Panasonic LX5, Olympus XZ-1 or even a Canon S95, having used SLR's for the last 10 years or so. The last few years the bulky and huge dSLR has been left at home on 95% of all trips, so why not have a camera that I will actually bring along? That way I will have some pictures to show off when I come home.

This obviously depends on your use/needs. I have two small kids which requires quite a bit of baggage other than the camera+lenses. And not to mention the need to carry/attend to one of them a lot of the time. When I'm not with them I usually hike or ski, and the dSLR again is too heavy and bulky, especially if I decide to take a couple of lenses and external flash.

I already have one backup compact that tags along, but not quite in the enthusiast bracket. Its a good allrounder, the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-WX5. A lot of people who buy dSLR's really would be better off with a good compact, although I'm not saying you are one of those, Eddie :)

I'll probably buy through FNAC here in France because of the points that I will get on my FNAC card.

Pretty set on the 550D now, but it's just a case of whether I buy it alone and buy lenses after or how I should do it? I'll only be using the camera for pictures with friends/holidays and then sporting events.

Archived