BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Tottenham

I dont know if this has been discussed, but im very interested in how this all turns out

Spurs seek public funds to revamp White Hart Lane after Olympic Stadium snub

Is this normal in the UK, that a professional club, who generate millions, and pay players so much money, has to revert to asking for public funds?

If they Spurs, are wanting to improve the area,and improve unemployment and its a Spurs project, shouldnt this money come out of their own pockets? Why cant the local council or government just use the funds themselves, in order to uplift the community?

This all seems very strange to me

I dont know if this has been discussed, but im very interested in how this all turns out

Spurs seek public funds to revamp White Hart Lane after Olympic Stadium snub

Is this normal in the UK, that a professional club, who generate millions, and pay players so much money, has to revert to asking for public funds?

If they Spurs, are wanting to improve the area,and improve unemployment and its a Spurs project, shouldnt this money come out of their own pockets? Why cant the local council or government just use the funds themselves, in order to uplift the community?

This all seems very strange to me

I don't think they're asking for public funds to develop the stadium; I think they're looking to get some public money to develop the infrastructure around the area; it's quite a walk from the nearest railway station and there's no tube station close to the ground.

I remember being at the game we lost 1-0 there 2 or 3 seasons ago [before they began pitching to inherit the Olympic Stadium] when there was an article in the programme about their plans for improving the area around the ground. Indeed, despite the headline, the article Iceman quotes doesn't make any direct reference to public money for the stadium; what it says is

Spurs have applied to the Regional Growth Fund (RGF) for a grant that will help regenerate the area around White Hart Lane, which is one of the poorest in the capital.

My guess is that it would be something like the idea which I've seen floated in the Lancashire Telegraph a few times over the seasons [the last time I remember reading it was when I was on a train to the UEFA Cup away game to Celtic] about Rovers applying for public money to build a small railway station behind Ewood with improved footpaths to the ground [and, hopefully, The Manxman!].

Mind you, a lot of water's flowed behind the Riverside since then and I wouldn't fancy Spurs' chances of getting the money they're after in this "Age of Austerity" [© David Cameron].

Archived