BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Original 1981 match worn Rovers shirt for sale

I am reluctantly selling an original match worn Rovers shirt believed to be from circa 1981. It is short sleeved with a red v neck collar and manufactured by Spall. It has the number 4 in red sewn onto the back of the shirt. It is actually a very similar looking shirt to the new home kit.

There is no size label on it but I would say by modern standards it is a small. These were the days before sponsors (I think it was the last pre sponsor shirt Rovers wore) and there were no names on shirts back then. I don't even remember whether replica shirts were publicly available, but I do know this was an actual player issue shirt. My brother played two or three games for Rovers reserves in 1981/2 and he claims that this is Howard Kendall's shirt, but I have no proof whatsoever that this is true (although I do have proof that my brother did indeed play for the Rovers reserves!). Apparently Howard had been injured and wanted to have half a game before returning to first team duties.

I can provide photos of the shirt by email if necessary. The shirt is in very good condition I would say, given its age. It is certainly wearable, but I would say it is more appropriate for framing for a pub or such like.

I would consider any reasonable offer. My son wore this to a game against Everton a couple of seasons ago, and I lost count of the number of times we were asked where we got it from!