BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

bazza

bazza

Hi everyone. I was born in 1943, a war baby. I'm a Prestonian but a Rover through and through.

My dad was born in Hoghton in 1902. His uncle took him to Ewood Park to see Rovers beat North End 3-0.

He saw Rovers win the league championship in 1912 and 1914.

He took me on Ewood round about 1950-51 when I was seven. I had just started train spotting and was more interested in the steam engines that I could see from stand B of Nuttall street running on the line in the corner between the Blackburn end and Riverside. Later I got hooked and either watched from stand B or was put over the wall onto the bench on the running track in front of the Nuttall St enclosure.

In those days there was no tannoy. Any music would be marches played by a local band before the game and at half time. The programme would have a list of the marches. Also it had the 1st and 2nd Div. fixtures alongside letters ABC etc. so that about 10 minutes into the second half a bloke would come out and put the half time scores into a set of metal letters on the wall round the running track. There was one set on Nuttall St side near the Darwen end and another set on the wall on the Riverside near the Blackburn end.

The Blackburn End, then, had no cantilever roof. It was open to the elements.The Darwen End was the home supporters' favourite end. But then in those days there were very few away supporters unless it was a north west team and there was no segregation of supporters; there was no need because people then were better behaved.

I took my son on when he was 5 to see them play Cambridge Utd in 1974. He is now also hooked. For those of you who have been on the messageboard since it's inception, he was known as "Spenny".

I feel privileged to have seen such great players as Bobby Langton, Bill Eckersley, Eddie Quigley, Bill Holmes, Albert Nightingale and Reg Elvy.

I saw the introduction of the young Ronnie Clayton, his brother Ken and Bryan Douglas.

I was there at Ewood to witness the 9-0 thrashing of Middlesbrough when Briggs failed to score, the 8-3 win over Bristol Rovers when Briggs got his seven (we were losing 3-2 at half time) and the 6-0 revenge over Lincoln City after they had thrashed us 8-0 at Sincil Bank earlier in the season.

Unfortunately I missed the 7-1 thrashing of Spurs in September 1963.

I have followed Rovers through thick and thin over the years at home and, very occasionally, away. But I only started my season ticket in 1993 when I realised the ground was going to be full each game and good seats would become like hens' teeth.

I shall continue this support because my blood isn't red, it's half blue and half white and "I'm Rovers 'til I die".

I used to play tennis but my knees are knackered.

I enjoy walking and drinking good real ale.

I'm quite gregarious. There's nothing nicer than to go into a pub, sit down with a pint and chat merrily away to anyone who wants to talk.

• Like 4