BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Vj Day - 70 Years On

Tomorrow marks the 70th Anniversary of The Victory over Japan, and the end of the Second World War.

I'm saddened that the commemorations for this are always lower than for VE day, as there where still significant numbers of British and British Empire troops engulfed in this conflict. On return from the far east they where greated by empty docks rather than cheering crowds, and many felt forgotten for their efforts.

My grandfather was a Prisoner of War on the Burma Railway, where over 90,000 people died. The horror of what those men endured has been hidden in lots of ways, but many where murdered in front of their friends, worked whilst they where very ill until they dropped and died, and all where underfed with their rations taken by their captors.

The Japanese where extremely cruel captors and in now way held to the same rigours of those captured by the Germans of the geneva rights.

I'd like to give my personal gratitude to each and every one of the veterans on parade tomorrow, and to those who fell in the field and those who have left us since.

Lest us forget. Heroes each and every one.

Just seen this. Nice post. RIP to all. The suffering of that generation paved the way for a better life for all of us. Sadly things seem to be heading full circle. I wonder what my children will have to face going forward.

I never met either of my grandads. A war too horrific to imagine.

Archived