BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Full Members Cup

It was great wasn't it? Little did we know what was to happen just 4 years later.

It's easy to forget that in those intervening 4 years we had a decent team and some good times. We had a long unbeaten run under Don McKay during which we took some huge followings to places like Stoke, Huddersfield and Leeds. Our local even ran a coach to Plymouth for Ossie Ardiles debut. Cant see that happening now!

I remember those big away followings well. We took 8,000 to Stoke on the day our 23 game unbeaten run ended and they crammed us into a side enclosure that should've only been for 5,000 people. Not a pleasant day all round! The Leeds game was a 2-2 draw and we were 2-0 down before Garns and a brilliant diving header from Hendry pulled us leve. Then, unfortunately, the wheels came off and we were dreadful for the rest of the season.

Good times though, when all the die hard Rovers fans (albeit not as many) seemed to go to every away game.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I remember those big away followings well. We took 8,000 to Stoke on the day our 23 game unbeaten run ended and they crammed us into a side enclosure that should've only been for 5,000 people. Not a pleasant day all round! The Leeds game was a 2-2 draw and we were 2-0 down before Garns and a brilliant diving header from Hendry pulled us leve. Then, unfortunately, the wheels came off and we were dreadful for the rest of the season.

Good times though, when all the die hard Rovers fans (albeit not as many) seemed to go to every away game.

Was it that many at Stoke -I know there was a lot but didn't know we took that many - certainly bouncing - well as much as you could move. Certain Gary summat or other blond haired chappie did us that day - we had flags with us and had to take the sticks giving them the backbone out and the string attached before they would let us in with them.

Leeds - can't remember if this is the one where the Sky Divers dropped in or not - but certain it was the one it kicked off big style outside.

Was it that many at Stoke -I know there was a lot but didn't know we took that many - certainly bouncing - well as much as you could move. Certain Gary summat or other blond haired chappie did us that day - we had flags with us and had to take the sticks giving them the backbone out and the string attached before they would let us in with them.

Leeds - can't remember if this is the one where the Sky Divers dropped in or not - but certain it was the one it kicked off big style outside.

Oh aye it kicked off big style after the game. Nasty nasty Leeds! The game prior to this was the famous 3-2 win agains Villa, where Archibald scored a brace. How we didnt go up that season is still a mystery, although you could say the same about the season after and the season after that too!

Oh aye it kicked off big style after the game. Nasty nasty Leeds! The game prior to this was the famous 3-2 win agains Villa, where Archibald scored a brace. How we didnt go up that season is still a mystery, although you could say the same about the season after and the season after that too!

No mystery really...it was our traditional eighties end-of-season collapse that did for us.

What happened at Leeds? Was that at Ewood or Elland Road?

No mystery really...it was our traditional eighties end-of-season collapse that did for us.

Elland Road - used to have corragted metal gates (like many places themdays) - let all the fans out at the same time but then tried starting shutting the gates on the Rovers fans getting out as both sets clashed outside -obviously Rovers where outnumbered but ths shutting the gates didn't help.

It was at Elland Rd and to say there there were a few battles outside the ground would be an understatement.

How Rovers got to Wembley.

R1 – Huddersfield Town 1 ROVERS 2 (aet)

R2 - ROVERS 1 Sheffield United 0

R3 - ROVERS 4 Oxford United 3

QF - ROVERS 3 Chelsea 0

SF - ROVERS 3 Ipswich Town 0

i worked permanent nights at a carpet factory in them days and was threatened with sack after r3 if i didnt attend work and had to work ..hahahaaha i volunteered for the chippy run at 7 instead of ten and got back after the rest of the games at 10ish...to me bolloking like a man tho hahaaha.

stoke away now there lies memories of a good drink in the vic arms i think outside the ground...

proper footy times ,watching real footy,real prices,real crack and real ###### team at times...no bandwagon support in them days just true rovers.BORN AND BRED A ROVER.

CHRIS SULLEY,NICKY REID,CHRIS THOMPSON,GLEN KEELEY,WAGGY,HOWARD GAYLE,DON MAC,SEAN CURRY,PAUL SHEPSTONE,ANDY KENNEDY,SIMON GARNER,TERRY G,JIM BRANNAGHAN...........

BEST TIME TO BE A ROVER...A WIN AT WEMBLEY AS JIM SAYS HANKY TIME..IM ALL GOOSEBUMPY AGAIN

I'll never forget that Stoke away game. We'd gone 23 games unbeaten, were odds on for promotion, and took thousands away from home with us every other week. A great time to be a Rovers fan.

I remember Don Mackay coming out after the game and walking across the pitch clapping us. After a defeat. You just felt closer to the team back then.

The Villa game just before when we won 3-2 was an incredible match. Not sure I've ever seen Ewood as full as it was that day. I think the official attendance was 19,000 but I'd love to know the real figure. You couldn't move.

We were robbed at Stoke. Chris Price (a proper attacking full back) got pulled down at least two yards in the penalty area. Result: free kick.

Not that i'm bitter or anything.

I'll never forget that Stoke away game. We'd gone 23 games unbeaten, were odds on for promotion, and took thousands away from home with us every other week. A great time to be a Rovers fan.

I remember Don Mackay coming out after the game and walking across the pitch clapping us. After a defeat. You just felt closer to the team back then.

The Villa game just before when we won 3-2 was an incredible match. Not sure I've ever seen Ewood as full as it was that day. I think the official attendance was 19,000 but I'd love to know the real figure. You couldn't move.

I remember the club erecting special saftey barriers in the blackburn end for the villa game so we could increase the attendance. Villa had a quality team then - Alan McNally, Gordon Cowans and Tony Daley to name a few. Wasn't Graham Taylor manager?

As for the Stoke game, I remember Chris Price getting chopped down for a blatant penalty in the last minute which was waved away. Not certain, but a funny feeling that a certain Mr Courtney was ref that day!

'Boro away on a Boxing Day anyone? I think a coach went from every pub in Ossy including two from ours. Drank Thirsk dry en route, great game and an "interesting" post match atmostphere.

As you said Abbey, it was REAL!

Boro away on Boxing day? I think that kicked off too, and I think a Rovers away travel coach got a brick through thw window. What was the score in that game?

Another memorable game that season was Swindon away. That gobsh*ite Jimmy Quinn scored for them in the first minute and ran straight upto the Rovers fans. The smirk was soon knocked off his face by Stevie Archibald!

'Boro away on a Boxing Day anyone? I think a coach went from every pub in Ossy including two from ours. Drank Thirsk dry en route, great game and an "interesting" post match atmostphere.

As you said Abbey, it was REAL!

"interesting" post match atmostphere - you mean Zulu Dawn Mike ;)

Boro away on Boxing day? I think that kicked off too, and I think a Rovers away travel coach got a brick through thw window. What was the score in that game?

Another memorable game that season was Swindon away. That gobsh*ite Jimmy Quinn scored for them in the first minute and ran straight upto the Rovers fans. The smirk was soon knocked off his face by Stevie Archibald!

1 apiece as I remember. Think Slaven put them 1 up but Garns equalised shortly after with a header from a corner. It was a good result as 'Boro were up there with us at the time.

Wasn't at that particular Swindon game but was there a few years earlier in the cup. But thats another story! ;)

1 apiece as I remember. Think Slaven put them 1 up but Garns equalised shortly after with a header from a corner. It was a good result as 'Boro were up there with us at the time.

Wasn't at that particular Swindon game but was there a few years earlier in the cup. But thats another story! ;)

DANCING ON THE ROOF

I think Boro went up that season at the expense of chelsea in the play off final. It all kicked off there as well and ironically, we played them at Stamford Bridge the first game of next season and away fans were banned. I managed to get a ticket and there were about 8,000 there. So much for Chelsea being a big club eh. Oh, and we won 2-1 and Howard Gayle ran up to the empty away end when he scored. Quality!

' I'll be a soldier, I'll be a soldier

I'll be a soldier in Don's Army

As we danced and we sang and

We walked the streets of Burn ah lee!

I'll be a soldier in Don's Army'

City away was scary that season too - we took a proper following and remember the police being very heavy handed and they were happy to wield their truncheons. I dont think 5,000 Rovers fans jumping up and down shouting "umba ba umba ba umba ba" for about half an hour warranted that response!

City away was scary that season too - we took a proper following and remember the police being very heavy handed and they were happy to wield their truncheons. I dont think 5,000 Rovers fans jumping up and down shouting "umba ba umba ba umba ba" for about half an hour warranted that response!

That 1/4 of the Kippax was great, I used to love City away!

Archived