BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Need Some Info/recommend Spot@blackburn

I'm thinking a visit to Blackburn (and Manchester) in Christmas period or end of the season.

I'm looking for some thread/topics that about visit Blackburn, I want to read some travel tips. though , I can't find! yea, no tpoic titles are "travel tips/ info to visit" ... like that

I found only one...

Red Rover, Red Rover, I'm Comin' Over!

http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/index.php?showtopic=17419

If you know the topic that about visit to Blackburn, let me know please!

(If you start to thread, you know the title!)

and

Christmas period... Is that good season to visit there?

Some special event, display or something in there?

many thanks :)

Dillo, Christmas is a good time to visit. I hope it snows for you while you are here, though with the weather we have had this year who knows what will happen. I would recommend visiting the Ribble Valley for starters - I am sure your keen sense of photography will be happy to run free!

There will be loads going on in the urban Lancashire village of Manchester - I am probably going to watch Scrooge at the Palace theater sometime. Oswaldtwistle Mills could be worth a look - why not take a traditional pair of clogs home with you?!

Have you been to Blackpool or the Lake District? Vastly different area's but worth a look too.

Carol singing at Blackburn Cathedral, or the Garstang victorian Christmas event (if it is on this year).

Dillo it's probably easier just to ask questions and, yes, there will be plenty to do and see in Lancashire / Manchester over the Christmas period. Plus three good games - Chelsea (H), Man City (A) and Sunderland (H).

Dillo, Christmas is a good time to visit. I hope it snows for you while you are here, though with the weather we have had this year who knows what will happen. I would recommend visiting the Ribble Valley for starters - I am sure your keen sense of photography will be happy to run free!

There will be loads going on in the urban Lancashire village of Manchester - I am probably going to watch Scrooge at the Palace theater sometime. Oswaldtwistle Mills could be worth a look - why not take a traditional pair of clogs home with you?!

Have you been to Blackpool or the Lake District? Vastly different area's but worth a look too.

Carol singing at Blackburn Cathedral, or the Garstang victorian Christmas event (if it is on this year).

If it snows, It'lll be very beautiful.

When I visited it in November three years ago, it snowed a little. the hills around Blackburn (Sarwen tower's hill) was very beautiful.

I'd like to go there , want to walking around there!

How to get to there?

Which railway station is near there ,or use bus? I wont use a rent-a car.

and still don't know clearly the system of "public footpath" . ...feels like trespass on someone's land...

Oswaldtwistle Mills ... I saw that name ,that on Accy Stan's shirts! I'll visit there.

Do you know small village ... old ,historic houses area around Blackburn-Accorington- Burnley?

I go to Blackpool every visit. the Lake District is little bit far , Maybe I don't have enough time to go there ...

Dillo it's probably easier just to ask questions and, yes, there will be plenty to do and see in Lancashire / Manchester over the Christmas period. Plus three good games - Chelsea (H), Man City (A) and Sunderland (H).

ha ha ha ... :) These are good to watch? I want to watch WIN games! ( I travel to watch the game over 10.000km! If we lost, I can't take it!)

Christmas priod... Is that good for a traverer?

Sometimes, Restaurants, shop, museum...etc. closed on big holiday.

Last time I visited Queens street Mill, That's so good.

my photos -- http://btrphoto.jugem.jp/?cid=10

Does anybody know other good museum like that?

They will be good games. Chelsea, well it's Chelsea. Man City away on Boxing Day (day after Christmas) will be a great atmosphere. Sundreland will bring thousands of fans and another good atmosphere.

In Manchester you should try to visit the Christmas street market. I forget which street it is on but Google will find it for you.

For an old vilage please check your PM

I go to Blackpool every visit. the Lake District is little bit far , Maybe I don't have enough time to go there ...

I just checked on trains between Preston and Windermere-in the Lake District. They often are every hour, sometimes with a change, sometimes without one, and the journey seems to take either just less than an hour, or an hour and a quarter.

It might be feasible to get there if you want to. Somebody else will be able to tell you about really good things to do there.

Another Textile mill for another time is Helmshore-it will be closed at Christmas.

Dillo, there will be many, many things to do over the Christmas period in and around Blackburn/Manchester. Christmas is supposed to be a religious festival with a big emphasis on peace, togetherness and goodwill to all, but for most people it's an excuse to party, eat and drink too much and give/receive presents. The weather will almost certainly be rubbish, so having a good time at Christmas helps take people's minds off the rain. Sometimes it snows at Christmas, but that doesn't happen often.

There are always many football matches over the Christmas period and all museums will be open every day except for Christmas day (25th December) and New Years Day (1st January). Both are public holidays so most places (including shops and banks) will be closed. The only places likely to be open on those days will be hospitals, police stations, hotels, pubs and some small shops for a few hours. Boxing Day (26th December) is also a public holiday but most places tend to be open. There are many special events around Christmas time, including traditional carol concerts in places like Blackburn Cathedral, pantomimes (traditional funny stories acted out on stage with a lot of audience participation) in theatres and special markets on the streets. Manchester always has an outdoor market at Christmas that is well worth a visit.

Blackburn has train links to the big cities of Manchester and Leeds, as well as York which has many interesting places to visit. Manchester has many attractions, while Leeds is good for shopping and is the home of the Royal Armouries (huge military museum with lots of suits of armour and so on). York is much smaller but very pretty and is the home of York Minster. As a photographer I'm sure you'd like all of those places. From Blackburn you can also go to Blackpool (bloody cold and a bit grim in winter) on the train, or you could go to Preston where you can change trains to go to Liverpool or the Lake District.

Liverpool is also a good city to visit and will give you many opportunities to take some pictures. The Lake District is a very scenic National Park with many mountains and lakes. The area, commonly known as "The Lakes", is also famous for its poets, particularly William Wordsworth. Wordsworth is enormously popular with many Japanese people and many go to see his house and the new Wordsworth library.

You have mentioned going to an old village and there are several in the Ribble Valley which is right next to Blackburn. Waddington (not far from Clitheroe) is one of the best and you can take many pictures there. Clitheroe would also be worth a look (there is a small castle) and overlooking the town is Pendle Hill which is famous for its witches. Around Blackburn there are several famous old buildings including Samlesbury Hall and Houghton Tower. Both are open to the public for a small fee. There's also Towneley Hall in Burnley, but that would mean going to Burnley! Worth a visit though. Blackburn has a museum, but it's not very big although there are many different things in there, including many medieval books, ancient weapons and an Egyptian mummy. I did my work experience there as a 16 year old and haven't been back since! There is a Roman museum at Ribchester which is just a few miles from Blackburn.

Do not be scared about walking on public footpaths (also known as public rights of way) as you are allowed to. Many of them go across private land but you have a legal right to walk on marked footpaths. Nobody will chase you off and the police will not arrest you. Darwen Tower is a nice, short walk and you can take some good pictures from there. Unfortunately, the tower has been vandalised.

If you are interested in any of these places just let me know and I'll do what I can to find out more, although Wikipedia will also tell you more about them.

Thanks! Cheeky Sidders!!

Darwen Tower is a nice, short walk and you can take some good pictures from there. Unfortunately, the tower has been vandalised.

Let's just say that "the tower has been vandalised."... Why?! Who?!  completely dismantled?!?!

20070704_7648.jpghttp://btrphoto.jugem.jp/?page=1&cid=12

talk about this tower? really?

I love Darwen Tower!! I've been to there, and I'll go to there again!

if you are looking for a historical place to visit hoghton tower is a

short taxi ride from blackburn 15 to 20 mins,good traditional pubs

as well for a meal,dont ask me to post a link though,not clued up

enough.

Dillo, the tower is still there and will be for many years. When I said vandalised, I should have said there's a lot of graffiti inside.

In addition to the places mentioned earlier, you might want to consider a trip to Lancaster (you can get there on the train or bus from Preston) to see the castle. Hypo-Luxa went there on his recent visit and he seemd to have enjoyed it.

I just checked on trains between Preston and Windermere-in the Lake District. They often are every hour, sometimes with a change, sometimes without one, and the journey seems to take either just less than an hour, or an hour and a quarter.

It might be feasible to get there if you want to. Somebody else will be able to tell you about really good things to do there.

Another Textile mill for another time is Helmshore-it will be closed at Christmas.

The area, commonly known as "The Lakes", is also famous for its poets, particularly William Wordsworth. Wordsworth is enormously popular with many Japanese people and many go to see his house and the new Wordsworth library.

Thank s for your recommend! :)

Windermere / the Lake District :

I wish I could, I'd like to visit there.... My mother has been to there 3years ago in May. sounds like there's wonderful place. I thought there's spring - summer is good to visit... and I want to spend few days if i visited there. one-day trip is a little bit hectic.... I'll go next time!

• 2 months later...

Hello, hello, I'n stating to reresearch again. I'll probably visit Blackburn in Spring.

sorry, I repeat same question. please help me.

- - - - - - -

I'm looking for some thread/topics that about visit Blackburn, I want to read some travel tips.

though , I can't find! yea, no tpoic titles are "travel tips/ info to visit" ... like that

- - - - - - -

my last time visit photos are...

Behind the Rovers web photo alubum on Flickr.

+Ewood Park 37photos

+Blackburn : Town 57 photos

+Blackburn : Pubs 35 photos

+Blackburn : Railway station 21photos

+Darwen : Town & Tower 33photos

+Burnley FC 21photos

+Burnley : Town 15photos

+Accy Stan FC 48photos

+History : Industrial Revorution : Mill 24photos

+manchester : Town 99photos

...and more

p.s.

Burnley fan post "Hell on earth end of story!!!!!" on Ewood Park photo set. so funny :)

if you know handy web site... please post it to share!

---[Weather]---

+ Weather.co.uk

http://uk.weather.com/weather/local/UKXX1036?letter=B

---[Train]---

+ National Rail

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/?&T2ID=9317_2004724225052

---[Manchester]---

+ Manchester City Council

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/site/scripts/...hp?homepageID=5

+ visit manchester

http://www.visitmanchester.com/

+ Manchester Food & Drink

http://www.city-visitor.com/manchester/fooddrink.html

---[Lancashire]---

+ visit Lancashire

http://www.visitlancashire.com/

BBC Lancashire --Where I live Lancashire-- virtual tour

http://www.bbc.co.uk/lancashire/virtual_tours/a.shtml

• 3 weeks later...

Helloooow?

You who asking visit Blackburn on here,

Nobody recall your topic title?

Please help me. ---- I'd like to read past same asking topic before I ask.

I'm looking for some thread/topics that about visit Blackburn, I want to read some travel tips.

though , I can't find! yea, no tpoic titles are "travel tips/ info to visit" ... like that

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

So sorry post it again....

though , I can't find! yea, no tpoic titles are "travel tips/ info to visit" ... like that...

A lot of overseas's fans asking questions here about visited Ewood park and Blackburn.

I've seen some same questions were repeated.

I do not want to repeat the as possible same question.... want to read a past question.

And here of those topics please keep it.

The Archive > Away Travel Guide : Blackburn Rovers, Ewood Park

Please help me and cooperate ....

--- Now I can't use "Search Topic" on this board.... so terible for me..... : (

Archived