BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Laptop Trouble

I seem to be plagued by computer problems and my latest one is that the dvd drive isn't working. If I put a cd, dvd or game in it spins and obviously "works", but the laptop doesn't recognise that anything has been put in. If I click on the game it will tell me the disc isn't in, if I go into a program like sonicstage, itunes or mediaplayer it doesn't see that a cd is in and if I go through my computer there isn't anything there.

Does anyone know what the problem could be and how I could fix it? I'm reluctant to take it in to be fixed as I've already done that twice since I bought this in March and it takes them a month each time regardless of what the problem is.

Right Click My Computer and goto Properties

Click the Hardware Tab

Click Device Manager

Click your DVD player

Right Click and goto Properties

Here it should tell you if its working ok or not and also there will be a trouble shoot button. You could also try updating the driver.

If its not in this list you will probably have to dig out the cd that came with the pc to install the driver again or goto the website and download them again.

Hope this helps

Thanks for that. I've done that and been informed that it isn't working (woohoo). It can't start (Code 10) and I've sent this information off to windows, somehow I'm not holding out much hope.

Code 10

If the device has a FailReasonString value in its hardware key, that string appears as the error message. The driver or enumerator puts this registry string value there. If there is no FailReasonString in the hardware key, you receive the following error message:

This device cannot start. (Code 10)

So what exactly does that mean?

Well, it sounds like somehow its got screwed up - thats the technical term for it.

I would probably suggest trying to update the drivers on it (there should be an update drivers button in the same place that you checked the error) and seeing if that over writes and corrects it if not you might need to uninstall and reinstall it.

Given that I could be telling you the wrong thing though you might want to wait for a reply back from whoever you have sent your support question too

I don't know why it did it, but I uninstalled Itunes and it now works. I'd seen online that after installing itunes on vista some people had found this problem. I had only installed it two days ago and hadn't used it since then, so thought it might be that. At least this means that my choice for a new mp3 player has been made a little bit easier...

Archived