BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Installing Wireless Usb Drivers In Linux

Hi all:

Just thought I'd cheekily ask here before hunting down an Ubuntu forum to ask.

I'm a beginner with Linux, although I have used Unix before.

Just trying to install ndisgtk so I can use a wireless usb with linux. I have 3 deb files to install. The first one isn't a problem, but the ndiswrapper utils file I think it is, we have a problem with.

It tells me the architecture the deb file supports (AMD64) is not supported by the hardware I have (i386). Is it really trying to say I have a 386Hz processor?

I have a HP (don't laugh!) pavillion HP6000, and I've checked it's a 32-bit processor, AMD64.

If anyone can help, thanks.

Bryan.

i386 is Intel hardware, I think. It's not telling you that you have a 386hz processor at least, although why it thinks you have Intel hardware I'm not too sure.

I have had ndiswrapper problems in the past and managed to overcome them, although nothing hardware related that I can remember. I'll have a think later on when I'm less busy and see if I can drag something from my memory.

You could try Googling 'ndiswrapper HP 6000', 'ndiswrapper <your wireless card model>' or type in the error message you keep receiving. In my limited Linux experience, I've always found that someone else has had the same problem somewhere, and there's usually an answer knocking around if you manage to put the right words in the right order into Google. Oddly, this is usually the most difficult part to solving a problem, when you manage to come across the right answer they're usually well explained and pretty straight forward.

I don't understand how my processor is 32-bit but it's "AMD64"???

I have been googling, I think I need a 32-bit library or something. either that or I can force the architecture, which doesn't sound too clever.

It installed the first of 3 packages OK, so I must be doing something right. I just think I need an alternative deb file. I'll keep looking.

Ta.

I think I installed the 64 bit Ubuntu, this is quite possibly a very dumb idea on a 32 bit machine?

looking here, it says:

If you have a non-64-bit processor made by AMD, or if you need full support for 32-bit code, use the Intel x86 images instead.

Sooooo, it may not fix the problem, but it's probably a good starting point to install the most suitable vers.

It sounds like you are on the right lines with the architecture however I'm not sure which way round you have got your problem.

If you installed the 32-bit Ubuntu then the AMD64 drivers will not work, you will need to find the 32-bit version.

If you installed the 64-bit Ubuntu (which looks possible, it just works in 32-bit mode on 32-bit machines) and your processor is 32-bit, then you will still need 32-bit drivers.

If you installed the 64-bit Ubuntu and your processor is 64-bit then it should have worked.

I have a HP (don't laugh!) pavillion HP6000, and I've checked it's a 32-bit processor, AMD64.

That is the confusing bit. Technically all i386 based processors are 32-bit, all will run Windows 3.1, 95, 98, XP (32-bit), Vista (32-bit). However, you say your is definately an AMD64, this actually means the processor is 64-bit which means it should be able to run the 64-bit versions of Windows and Linux. If that is the case then if you installed 64-bit Ubuntu then it should work.

Sorry, no help at all, just musing.

It looks liek I have installed 64 bit ubuntu on 32 bit machine that is badged "AMD 64". it says 32-bit when you go to Control Panel> System info.

So, should I re-install Linux, but this time the 32-bit version, then install 32-bit ndisgtk? Or just look for 32 bit ndisgtk?

I haven't got any work on my linux partition so I could just re-install. Bit of a pain in the nuts though.

OK, sorted that, no worries.

Now, the next problem is sorting out roaming. This appears to be rather a problem with linux.

i mean, I can't really go into Starbucks and ask for their network info, can I?

Since I have Ibex, apparently the network manager has been removed, although I can download and install this myself?

I don't have web access back in my flat, so I have to hunt down wifi access.

Archived