BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Firefox Crashes

Right wizards - when I click on certain links [i.e. any rovers related link in the LT] firefox closes down without any warning. Recently my comp has started opening pop ups as well, this is probably linked.

I'm on windowsxp. If I click on tools > options > content, the "block pop ups" box is ticked.

Any suggestions? I can open these links on internet explorer.

Usually when this happens with me it's because Firefox has updated and some of the plug-ins/addons I have installed aren't compatible with the new version.

Firefox 3.0.10 came out in the last few days so I'm assuming yours has automatically upgraded recently, if your problems have only started since then try disabling your plug-ins/addons. If that solves it then a bit of trial and error will find the culprit. Most are updated pretty quickly if they become incompatible.

Usually when this happens with me it's because Firefox has updated and some of the plug-ins/addons I have installed aren't compatible with the new version.

Firefox 3.0.10 came out in the last few days so I'm assuming yours has automatically upgraded recently, if your problems have only started since then try disabling your plug-ins/addons. If that solves it then a bit of trial and error will find the culprit. Most are updated pretty quickly if they become incompatible.

On a quick google, these add ons you mention were put forward by several people as the possible cause. Pardon my ignorance LeChuck, but where/how do I find these add ons, or plug ins?

Cracked it - many thanks LeChuck. I've disabled them all now and the problem is solved. I'll spend a little time later isolating which one was causing the problem.

Thanks again.

The problems were caused by plug ins:

shockwave flash

shockwave director

windows genuine advantage

windows media player plug in dynamic link library

and two java platforms.

Archived