BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ufc - Ps3

Anyone else picked this up today?

I'm really struggling with it at the minute - the ground grappling and reversals seem so technical. Online career so far has me on 3 wins (two by KO) and 8 losses.

Guest Kamy100

Got this for the 360 today and really liking it.

I have started a career and have picked up the basics, having no problems with kicking and boxing parts of the game. The ground game is much harder to grasp, but have started to pick it up. I suggest that anyone who plays this game, should do the tutorial it really helped me with all aspects of the game.

Guest Kamy100

You can button bash but the AI and human players will pick you off because you will leave yourself to open, if you play clever and use your technique and mix up the standing and also ground game then you can be successful. It is a really clever game which offers a great deal of depth. Try the demo on PSN and Xbox Live it is quite representative of the final game, play the demo on the level up from Beginners.

Also Gametrailers have a good review:

UFC 2009 Review

So how is everyone getting on with this?

I'm 13-4 in my career, all 13 wins coming by KO. I win a lot of fights with head kicks, I've created a Kickboxing/BJJ guy and concentrated his training on takedown defence and strong striking. Its working well but I would like a win by submission some time soon!

• 1 month later...
So how is everyone getting on with this?

I'm 13-4 in my career, all 13 wins coming by KO. I win a lot of fights with head kicks, I've created a Kickboxing/BJJ guy and concentrated his training on takedown defence and strong striking. Its working well but I would like a win by submission some time soon!

I've just got this back on Saturday and got completely addicted with 3 days off work.

Really really enjoyed it, seems realistic, the difficulty is good as well I think, things like takedowns and being in the right position to put in good submission moves etc are a lot harder than simple striking which they should be.

I confess I cheated on my first career game, won around the first 7 or 8 fights and then lost and quickly reloaded until I won. After that I won the next 5 or 6 comfortably again until coming up against Rampage Jackson who I gave up restarting against after about the 10th attempt. He just kept puttting me in the clinch and then punching me really hard in the face, it was so uncalled for, violence never solves anyone's problems, I didn't get his attitude.

Anyway from then on I just started playing and carrying on, win or lose. Finished with a career record of something like 35-5 or maybe 30-5 off hand.

Submissions are interesting though, I didn't win by submission until way after I'd won a title. It was about my 30th, 35th fight and I finally won by submission despite giving up trying them about 15 fights ago!! This was just a desperation block to get out of some grapple strikes, I then won 5 of my final 6 fights by submission so it just seemed to click into place, whether or not that was because my submission attribute had gone up just enough or if it was because I had improved my grappling technique.

Anyway at the end of my career I got my guy up to '87' overall, don't really know if that's good or not but at least I wanted to do better. So I've started a new career, already got the message that it's the final year of my contract. This one doesn't seem to be going quite so well though, I only have '79' overall, despite thinking I'd obviously be better second time round. I haven't even won a title yet, my record is 21-6 this time I think. I've constantly refused the extra fights at late notice this time though, perhaps I shouldn't have done.

I seem to struggle on the grappling training camp, especially anything that involves side mounting or rubber guard, can't seem to get into the positions so I'm still yet to reach level 3 of my grappling technique on either career, despite doing the striking technique to level 3 both times, anyone got any ideas?

Really enjoying online mode, I'm pleased to say for a change I'm actually quite good as well and can hold my own. Most fighting games or online games in general I simply 'don't know the best moves' or little tricks and get my ass handed to me on a plate. My online career is roughly 26-47 (14 by KO, 12 by submission) The gameplay online is smooth with the odd exception, no exessive loading for an online game either.

My only little gripe is there doesn't seem to be an option of the level of opponent you face. It's just lucky dip it seems, it doesn't fill me with confidence when the guy pops up with a 400-30 record or something of which there seems to be a few about.

Like I said, I'm happy I can hold my own online though, I'm no expert and there are plenty of people better than me but at least after winning a 3rd or so of my fights I know I at least have a chance to make a fight of it and it's not over all in a few seconds.

One thing though, after about 200 fights or so now, I've not had a fight go to decision, either online or offline!! I've come close a few times only for a late knockout to be landed, or when I tapped out online with 6 seconds to go of the final bloody round!! What actually happens, does it display scores or does the referee simply declare a winner?

The only other thing I'd like to see added is things like the stats they have on 'Fight Night' so you can see punches landed, grapples attempted etc after the match, not sure if this is something they do in UFC much though as I'm only a casual fan, this game has certainly got me more interested though.

Anyone else still got any views on it? I guess I wish career mode was a bit longer since I've nearly completed two in a weekend but I guess the developers assume normal people won't play it for about 60 hours in one sitting!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

<!--quoteo(post=768102:date=Jun 1 2009, 13:26 :name=Tugay4England)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tugay4England @ Jun 1 2009, 13:26 ) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=768102"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So how is everyone getting on with this?

I'm 13-4 in my career, all 13 wins coming by KO. I win a lot of fights with head kicks, I've created a Kickboxing/BJJ guy and concentrated his training on takedown defence and strong striking. Its working well but I would like a win by submission some time soon!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've just got this back on Saturday and got completely addicted with 3 days off work.

Really really enjoyed it, seems realistic, the difficulty is good as well I think, things like takedowns and being in the right position to put in good submission moves etc are a lot harder than simple striking which they should be.

I confess I cheated on my first career game, won around the first 7 or 8 fights and then lost and quickly reloaded until I won. After that I won the next 5 or 6 comfortably again until coming up against Rampage Jackson who I gave up restarting against after about the 10th attempt. He just kept puttting me in the clinch and then punching me really hard in the face, it was so uncalled for, violence never solves anyone's problems, I didn't get his attitude.

Anyway from then on I just started playing and carrying on, win or lose. Finished with a career record of something like 35-5 or maybe 30-5 off hand.

Submissions are interesting though, I didn't win by submission until way after I'd won a title. It was about my 30th, 35th fight and I finally won by submission despite giving up trying them about 15 fights ago!! This was just a desperation block to get out of some grapple strikes, I then won 5 of my final 6 fights by submission so it just seemed to click into place, whether or not that was because my submission attribute had gone up just enough or if it was because I had improved my grappling technique.

Anyway at the end of my career I got my guy up to '87' overall, don't really know if that's good or not but at least I wanted to do better. So I've started a new career, already got the message that it's the final year of my contract. This one doesn't seem to be going quite so well though, I only have '79' overall, despite thinking I'd obviously be better second time round. I haven't even won a title yet, my record is 21-6 this time I think. I've constantly refused the extra fights at late notice this time though, perhaps I shouldn't have done.

I seem to struggle on the grappling training camp, especially anything that involves side mounting or rubber guard, can't seem to get into the positions so I'm still yet to reach level 3 of my grappling technique on either career, despite doing the striking technique to level 3 both times, anyone got any ideas?

Really enjoying online mode, I'm pleased to say for a change I'm actually quite good as well and can hold my own. Most fighting games or online games in general I simply 'don't know the best moves' or little tricks and get my ass handed to me on a plate. My online career is roughly 26-47 (14 by KO, 12 by submission) The gameplay online is smooth with the odd exception, no exessive loading for an online game either.

My only little gripe is there doesn't seem to be an option of the level of opponent you face. It's just lucky dip it seems, it doesn't fill me with confidence when the guy pops up with a 400-30 record or something of which there seems to be a few about.

Like I said, I'm happy I can hold my own online though, I'm no expert and there are plenty of people better than me but at least after winning a 3rd or so of my fights I know I at least have a chance to make a fight of it and it's not over all in a few seconds.

One thing though, after about 200 fights or so now, I've not had a fight go to decision, either online or offline!! I've come close a few times only for a late knockout to be landed, or when I tapped out online with 6 seconds to go of the final bloody round!! What actually happens, does it display scores or does the referee simply declare a winner?

The only other thing I'd like to see added is things like the stats they have on 'Fight Night' so you can see punches landed, grapples attempted etc after the match, not sure if this is something they do in UFC much though as I'm only a casual fan, this game has certainly got me more interested though.

Anyone else still got any views on it? I guess I wish career mode was a bit longer since I've nearly completed two in a weekend but I guess the developers assume normal people won't play it for about 60 hours in one sitting!!!

Gutted I missed this post at the time, I was just as in to this as you sound like you were back then! I havent played for a while but reading all of that has made me want to give it another go. Might stick it on when I get in later.

I'm sure you figured this out in the end, but getting out of Rampage's clinch is pretty easy (same as Wanderlei's) - you just shift the analogue stick in the direction he is attacking from. If you time it right you'll break away or reverse it quite easily.

Gutted I missed this post at the time, I was just as in to this as you sound like you were back then! I havent played for a while but reading all of that has made me want to give it another go. Might stick it on when I get in later.

I'm sure you figured this out in the end, but getting out of Rampage's clinch is pretty easy (same as Wanderlei's) - you just shift the analogue stick in the direction he is attacking from. If you time it right you'll break away or reverse it quite easily.

I still love the game to be honest, my PSN ID is 'DeadlyDirk23' add me and just look for me when I'm online, happy to give you a game. To be honest I'm a lot better at defending the clinch but still struggle to get the direction and timing right!! Ground and submissions are my speciality, shame about the lag online for reversals. Prefer standing up to be honest but seem to struggle against the good online players, still improving all the time though, up to about level 73 online, won around 350 lost around 290.

Just hard finding the time to fit this around work, Pro Evo, Footy Manager and the rest of my life!

Archived