BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 6 Peaks, 1 Bike 500 Miles..........

Hi all

On the 5th September I will be embarking on a rather mad but special challenge for 3 very important causes.

I will be setting off on the 6 peaks challenge, which involves Climbing Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike, Wherenside, Inglebourgh, Pen Y Ghent and Snowdon. As well as this I will be cycling the 500 miles between them :( hopefully within 8 days........

The reason I am doing this is to raise money for East Lancashire Hospice and Macmillan who looked after my Dad when he had cancer, and also to raise money and awareness of CRY (Cardiac Risk in the Young) In memory of my best friend who died age 29, suddenly in his sleep last May whilst we were down in London for a friends wedding.

I have never really had any experience of SADS (sudden adult death syndrome) apart from seeing the odd story in the paper, but since Matt died I have been more aware of the number of young people dying from this condition. CRY campaign to screen everyone at school age for heart conditions which can lead to death, they do this in Italy, and hopefully the government will put this in place and save may young lives.

If you would like to support me and make my pain worthwhile, please visit:

Visit My Website

Sponsor for CRY

Sponsor for Macmillan

Sponsor for East lancs

Thanks

Eddie

I met some guys doing a similar thing last year. They'd stopped at Buy a Bike in Charnock Richard to buy a new bike for one of the guys who'd set off on a very beat up cycle!! Quick lesson there.

500 miles in six days is good going considering you're climbing mountains as well. If you want someone to accompany you on a local part of the cycling give me a shout. If I can fit it in with work I'll be happy to. Good luck.

Cheers Paul, there are a few of us doing this. I managed to get them to agree under the infulence of alcohol :D But you are more than welcome to come and join us anytime. Still planning the details on the route out, actually you may be able to help! Do you know of a pretty quiet route from Preston to Chester, we are as much as possible trying to avoid major routes and cities (as well as big hills).

I got a new bike from Ewood cycles last year after some advice from yourself, although it's done a fair few miles training since then, it should get me around. Could just do with a big comfy Cushion in place of my seat!!!

I've never ridden Preston to Chester but I think I'd look to go basically do Preston - Liverpool - ferry cross the Mersey - down the Wirral - Chester. I'll give it a bit of thought but I think you need a route that will shadow the A59 Preston to Liverpool using the back roads, of which there are plenty, then pick up the cycle routes that run down the Wirral. If you do this there won't be any major hills.

As for the saddle your money is better spent on a good pair of shorts!

Most of the riding I do in this area is a big loop out from Chorley using all the back roads / lanes, I try to avoid straight lines, so my best effort is this. Presume you want the most direct but reasonably quiet route. I'm also guessing you'll be coming down the A6:

Follow A6 to Bamber Bridge

Turn right to stay on ring road (busy)

Turn left onto B5253 Leyland

Follow to the junction with the A581

Turn right then left for Eccleston

Follow signs to Mawdesley

Take a left on B5246

Turn right for Hoscar

At Ring O Bells trun off B5240 towards Ormskirk

At this point I'd grit my teeth and get on the A59 into Liverpool

The alternative is to go to Leyland / Southport and then stay on the A565 all the way to Liverpool.

Once you get on the Wirral I suggest you follow the route below. I've ridden most of this three times as part of organised rides but I was following marshall's and directional signs. It's a good route, and takes about 90-100 minutes from the Mersey tunnel entrance to the outskirts of Chester. So I'd allow two hours using the ferry and to get to the centre.

Sustrans then go to Resources. Under "search our mapping", look for Raby, Wirral and it will show you a route down the Wirral to Chester

• 2 weeks later...

Well I was thinking about you yesterday. I've just 290 in 3 days plus an extra 30 this morning to get to a railway station. It was hard work in places. I hope you're fit as 500 miles in 8 days with mountain walks as well is going to be hard. Good luck.

I've had my Assos for five years and apart from a bit of loose stitching they are as good as new. Look at that way and they cost nothing.

• 4 weeks later...

:D Fit, me? No chance!!!!

I've done plenty of training, but I don't think I'm fit enough but can you ever be fit enough for something like this. Hills are my downfall so I've been hitting Waddington Fell, Pendle and Whalley Nab hard :blink:

Its to late now, this time in 2 weeks we'll be 3 days into it and on our way to Scafell.........happy days!!!

I'll give it my all and only when I can't stay upright on the bike anymore will I give up.

Cheers again Paul, will let you know how I get on.

OH and we had the legend Tony Parkes comment that he is 'very impressed by the mad men'!!! :brfc:

• 3 weeks later...

:tu: Job done.............somehow!!!

519 miles, 6 mountains in 8 days. The weather in Fort William and climbing Scafell Pike and then cycling to Ingleton was shocking but I kept going. Hopefully I'll never do anything like this again, after cycling the last 83 miles with my foot half out my shoe as my toe was that swollen it was to painful to fit in! Oh and I missed Rovers first goal in however many games....typical!

Over £800 raised for Macmillan, £700 for Cardiac Risk in the Young and £200 for East Lancs Hospice.

Thanks to those who sponsored, that was the reason I kept going, and Thank you to Paul for your advice. It was much appreciated.

Right, I'm off for a lie down :D

Archived