BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Brfc

mark

Link to web site is here

http://www.brisbaneroar.com.au/default.aspx?s=homeroar

Brisbane Roar Football club were one of the founder members of the A League, which this weekend kicks off it's 5th season.

Brisbane Roar FC have had a few changes of identity of the recent years.

They were originally the top semi-pro team in Queensland (QLD) - The QLD Lions.

The Lions gave birth to the Roar, which were created as a completely seperate club - this enabled the Lions to continue also running as semi-pro team. I play down there in the over 35's, my son plays in the under 10's & I coach a team as well.

The Roar were originally called QLD Roar, however the A League has expanded this year, 2 additional clubs have joined - both from QLD

(the new teams are Robbie Fowler's North QLD Fury & Gold Coast United - look forward to the local derby against Fury - they are only 1600kms away!

Gold Coast are backed by a mining billionaire and say that in their first season they are going to win the league & be undefeated... can feel a rivalry starting already)

With the 2 new QLD teams being created the Roar have dropped the name QLD & replaced it with Brisbane, hence another BRFC!!

The Roar have a couple of ex premier league players - Craig Moore & Danny Tiatto - as well as 2 ex Rangers players - Charlie Miller & Bob Malcom. The manager is Ex Australia national coach Frank Farina.

The Roar also have 3 Brazilians players in the squad, with the rest being a mixture of Aussie journeymen & promising youngsters...

Brisbane Roar play at the Suncorp Stadium, a 52,000 capacity ground that puts Ewood to shame. The Roar attract an average crowd of around somewhere between 15-20,000, the most I have seen there for a Roar game is approx 30,000 against Sydney, but the ground was sold out when I saw Brett Emerton score two goals against Iraq...

Suncorp Stadium is owned by the State government and is shared with the Brisbane Broncos Rugby League team & the QLD Reds Rugby Union team.

The Roar continue to frustrate year after year & I can't see this season being any different.

If you don't like champagne & parties & stuff then the Roar are the team for you - in our short history we ain't won a thing...

BRFC kick off this weekend with a home derby game against Gold Coast (approx 100kms between the two clubs) will keep you updated on the outcome & will let you know if it is anything like an East Lancs derby

Ahhh I didn't realise that gold coast united were Now in the A league... It looks like I will be going to watch gold coast united when I get out o Australia ! Seeing as queenslad roar..( sorry that's how iv always known them ) and north queesnand are over an hours drive away and GCU are on the same strip as where I will be :)

Oh but to me they Will always be quensland roar

Ahhh I didn't realise that gold coast united were Now in the A league... It looks like I will be going to watch gold coast united when I get out o Australia ! Seeing as queenslad roar..( sorry that's how iv always known them ) and north queesnand are over an hours drive away and GCU are on the same strip as where I will be :)

Oh but to me they Will always be quensland roar

I shall be watching GCU as well.

Archived