BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] If you were Manager, what would YOU do?

If I were manager....wow deep question...

Irrespective if Rovers were not my own club I would be ultra-respectful to the club and especially it's history and it's FANS...

I would moderate what I say in public and that includes to the press (and as others have suggested a PR person/or at least some help in that direction would be good)

I would not be the players; mate, bro, bud, kindly uncle, or whatever, I would keep them all at arms length, treat them all fairly, but expect them to conduct themselves with respect above all for the team and the club - and I would ensure they know that I too have my own hair dryer.

If the players want someone to be mates with then that's what coaches are for.

If I lacked knowledge in tactical nous I would seek help by employing coaches with that skill

I would buy a computer with Skype (other online communication programs are available) and pop another one in the post to Pune

I would tell my agent to stick to negotiating my contracts and find me a decent accountant.

I would not rise to any bait, instead focus my attentions on moulding my team to play my way and with pride.

I would never make any claims I could not substantiate.

Oh, and one more....after all that

I would be down the job centre on Monday morning!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not silly at all. A perfectly reasonable thread,perhaps if you'd read it correctly you could have then decided whether to contribute meaningfully or to stay away.

I don't think Kean could have put out much better than he did against Chelsea. What's unarguable though is that we need to spend BIG on a proper goalscorer in January with perhaps a LB too so Olsson can be moved forward. I've been pretty impressed with Lowe so far so probably wouldn't buy a RB.

The thread asks what would we do if we were manager, yes? Well, none of us are so living in a dream land pondering what you would do if you were the manager is just pointless really. We live in the real world and that is the world were we are going to be relegated under Kean as our manager. If you have your own ideas what you would do then you must be against Kean so why not pop along and come protesting with us so we can get a REAL manager who can change things.

November is the ideal time for Venky's to sack the clown as we only have 3 league games. If we keep him until after Xmas, in my eyes, we are down because there are 6 league games in Dec and with the 2 remaining in November thats a lot of losses and irrepairable. We could appoint a more luxurious manager this month before all the Dec fixtures but come the end of Dec when we are firmly rooted to the bottom of the league, we need an Allardyce type manager!

The thread asks what would we do if we were manager, yes? Well, none of us are so living in a dream land pondering what you would do if you were the manager is just pointless really. We live in the real world and that is the world were we are going to be relegated under Kean as our manager. If you have your own ideas what you would do then you must be against Kean so why not pop along and come protesting with us so we can get a REAL manager who can change things.

November is the ideal time for Venky's to sack the clown as we only have 3 league games. If we keep him until after Xmas, in my eyes, we are down because there are 6 league games in Dec and with the 2 remaining in November thats a lot of losses and irrepairable. We could appoint a more luxurios manager this month before all the Dec fixtures but come the end of Dec when we are firmly rooted to the bottom of the league, we need an Allardyce type manager!

You mean a profesional like we used to have, see my reply to roversmum above

What I am interested in, given the squad we have, how would YOU pick the squad for matches? Who would you play in what position and why.

He has started playing our best team now IMO, which I picked out before the Norwich game.

The problem is, as we've seen against both Norwich and Cheslea, if he subs and tweaks the squad, we get into trouble.

Our best 11 is good enough, our squad isn't = lack of depth.

What would your tactics be?

Again, I think these have improved with the team selections.

Who would be on the subs bench?

Bunn, Dann, Salgado, Dunn, Grella, Vukcevic, Roberts

I chose Grella over Petrovic, as I think Grella has had more good games for us than Petrovic (who frankly has been rubbish so far). Obviously Grella's perpetually injured though...

Roberts over Goodwillie, as I think Goodwillie has also been rubbish, as has Roberts to be honest, but at least Roberts can play a lone striker role.

Dann over Nelsen, as I think Dann can play as a full-back as well.

My opinion though, at the moment only Dann, Dunn and Vukcevic are good enough out of those subs. The rest weaken our squad considerably. We are also too dependent on Samba and Hoilett. Hoilett has been our main outlet in attack in almost every game, and Samba is such a massive presence both in defence and attack that our team is half the team it is when he's gone.

More importantly if I were the manager I would:

-Get the players fitter

-Win games

That's all Kean can do now.

You mean a profesional like we used to have, see my reply to roversmum above

Sorry, didnt catch all the replies as like I said its a pointless thread so I just read the initial post then replied. But I agree with you we need a REAL manager, one with experience and also one who respects the fans and doesnt live in cloud cuckoo land

To answer the original question...

I would have signed a £7 million midfielder and not a centre back we had no need for.

He screwed up the summer signings so he's stuck now. With this team I'd go for a 4-5-1 formation, dropping Formica for Dunn/Grella/Petrovic. Play for set pieces, it's how we score most goals.

Injuries have made Kean pick a team that he should have picked from the start. Without Salgado and Givet at full back we've looked massively stronger. I'm in no doubt we'd have more points if he'd done these things from the opening day and not just when he was forced. I still think he's useless enough to put things back how they were when Dann and Salgado return.

Spot on...

Nothing to do with the change of assistant or anything else or an improvment of management/tactics.

Kean has been forced to replace the full-backs that have been destroyed all season forcing the shape of the team to be pulled all over. Hence the team appears far more organised.

Difficult set of question due to:

A - I would not of taken the job if I had no experience in the area (jumping from coach bypassing assistant manager straight to manager is to big of a jump)

B - If forced to take the job I would not of got rid of experienced heads for so much youth, especially given my own lack of experience in the area

C - I would of approached the fans in a completely different maner

D - After my initial review (6months) I would of walked away if results had been as bad

E - I would endevour not to play people out of position unless utterly essential (Rochina, Formica, Goodwillie et al have been out of position for most of the season)

F - I would of put more priotity into building the backroom team

G - I would not of allowed myself ever to be a yes man (already walked out on two jobs for this reason)

However if we are putting everything he has done to date to one side and starting afresh with what he has built.

---------------------Robinson-------------------

-------------Dann---Samba---Givet------------- 3 at the back with Dann and Givet providing extra cover for wingbacks

-----Lowe-----Nzonzi---Pederson-----Olsson----- Lowe and Olsson in wing back roles, Peders (on current form) and Nzonzi in DM

---------------------Hoilett--------------------- More of a free roles for Hoilett

----------------Yak----------Rochina----------- And a fairly free role for Rochina

Subs: Bunn, Hanley (Nelsen), Salgado, Petrovic (Grella), Simon, Dunn (or formica), Goodwillie (or Formica)

Come january my priorities in the following order.. Midfield general, goal scorer, right back and left back cover.

Archived