BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] If you were Manager, what would YOU do?

Well, I should probably have known better than to ask the question in the first place.

I thought we had a few master tactitians on here. I don't pretend to be one, but if you are going to criticize managerial decisions then you all must have some ideas of your own, and I was curious to know what they were. Where's Den when you need him?

I just know that I enjoy watching football. Sometimes I have been known to wonder in possibly strong terms why a manager chooses a player that seems to be the last one that should be chosen, and to be fair there have been quite a few of those in my time.

To be honest, I'd rather leave it to the manager so he gets the blame :P but ok then, here's my take on it.

Goalie - Robbo, but no qualms if Bunn has to take over for any reason.

I'm very unsure about Dann at the moment. He has had a lot of injury time over the last year and I'm not going to be easy when he's on the pitch until he's proved himself, I haven't been impressed with him yet.

Givet. No question. The Warrier. Awesome at centre back. Ditto Samba. Best pairing. However, if Nelsen or Dann are back, with Samba out, I'd rather have Nelsen or even Hanley to be honest.

Lowe. Doing well. Would like his run to continue. Love Salgado but he is too risky - too slow. Definitely not. Possible sub.

Martin - has to be on the team sheet. Pref midfield, although I'd like to see Simon get a bit of a chance, not at Martin's expense though. However, given the team we have at the moment, has to be left back.

So. Lowe Samba(Nelsen) Givet Olsson = my back four.

Defensive mid -Steven - very irritating. Can be terrific but needs to stop dawdling, get a move on and remember which way the net is. Would still play him though.

-seems to play well with Peds, who can still be a threat with corners and free kicks, would keep him in for the moment. Think Petrovicz will come good, has shown signs of class. Question is when will he get the chance to get experience?

Centre: Mids - Nzonzi and Peds Sub: Petrovic

Junior is a bit of an enigma. When he's on form, he's unstoppable. However, when he isn't he goes missing a bit - in part responsible for yesterday's goal although there were three others in the box all having a snooze. Would still play him though.

Wingers; Hm. Junior and Rochina I guess, thought they were okay yesterday and at QPR. There is always a chance of either firing a cracker.

Wings: Junior and Rochina.

Which leaves Formica playing off the shoulder of the striker - Yak. Love the way Formica pops up from nowhere. Yak is doing okay, not the fastest player in the book, but he can be a nuisance.

Thought it disgraceful that Dunny was booed yesterday. He can still be an influential sub but not sure he can manage much more.

Strikers: Yak and Formica/Rochina/Junior

Not sure about Goodwillie. Definitely not sure about Blackman. Would like to see more of Simon though.

Pretty much yesterday's side then. Not much chance of Vince putting a shift in, Ribera seems to have disappeared and where's Jase? - ah, on radio of course.

SO. Pretty please - needed - a proven and probably expensive goalscorer please. Left and Right Back.

Incidentally I wasn't asking who has been purchased, I'm aware of that, I just thought it would be interesting, you can only wee with the willy you've got, so Mr Souness told me (I wouldn't know about that but I'm sure he's right) - and I do apologise for having an opinion, I thought that's what message boards were about - silly me!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest, I'd rather leave it to the manager so he gets the blame :Plol but ok then, here's my take on it.

I'm very unsure about Dann at the moment. He has had a lot of injury time over the last year and I'm not going to be easy when he's on the pitch until he's proved himself, I haven't been impressed with him yet.

Givet. No question. The Warrier. Awesome at centre back. Ditto Samba. Best pairing. However, if Nelsen or Dann are back, with Samba out, I'd rather have Nelsen or even Hanley to be honest.

Lowe. Doing well. Would like his run to continue. Love Salgado but he is too risky - too slow. Definitely not. Possible sub.

Martin - has to be on the team sheet. Pref midfield, although I'd like to see Simon get a bit of a chance, not at Martin's expense though. However, given the team we have at the moment, has to be left back.

Defensive mid -Steven - very irritating. Can be terrific but needs to stop dawdling, get a move on and remember which way the net is. Would still play him though.

-seems to play well with Peds, who can still be a threat with corners and free kicks, would keep him in for the moment. Think Petrovicz will come good, has shown signs of class. Question is when will he get the chance to get experience?

Junior is a bit of an enigma. When he's on form, he's unstoppable. However, when he isn't he goes missing a bit - in part responsible for yesterday's goal although there were three others in the box all having a snooze. Would still play him though.

Wingers; Hm. Junior and Rochina I guess, thought they were okay yesterday and at QPR. There is always a chance of either firing a cracker.

Which leaves Formica playing off the shoulder of the striker - Yak. Love the way Formica pops up from nowhere. Yak is doing okay, not the fastest player in the book, but he can be a nuisance.

Thought it disgraceful that Dunny was booed yesterday. He can still be an influential sub but not sure he can manage much more.

Not sure about Goodwillie. Definitely not sure about Blackman. Would like to see more of Simon though.

Pretty much yesterday's side then. Not much chance of Vince putting a shift in, Ribera seems to have disappeared and where's Jase? - ah, on radio of course.

SO. Pretty please - needed - a proven and probably expensive goalscorer please. Left and Right Back.

I pretty much agree with your comments about the squad. We need a Goalscorer, a right back, left back and maybe a replacement for Hoilett if leaves.

I pretty much agree with your comments about the squad. We need a Goalscorer, a right back, left back and maybe a replacement for Hoilett if leaves.

Definitely. I've a feeling we might have people sniffing around Olsson too :(

From a fans perspective I'd top myself

Back on planet earth I'd revert back to route one football, try and keep a clean sheet and bloody well win ugly. It's not like it's bloody rocket science, our last two relatively successful managers have climbed aboard sinking ships and the first thing they did was try and win the game by only needing to score one goal.

But oh wait I'm Steve Kean employed by Venkys, so I'll more than likely carry on regardless and keep collecting my wages.

If I was the manager of Rovers it would be the proudest few minutes in my life, I would then with tears in my eyes probably have to resign because I know as much as I'd love to think I could do the job I have absoloutley no experience at that kind of level and much of my decisions would be based on trial and error etc.

With that being said with my limited management knowledge I would say it's pretty clear we are leaking goals too easily and need to learn how to win ugly again, some of the football when in possession we've seen lately has been pleasing but we switch off a lot of the time without the ball, leak sloppy goals and always seem to be fighting an uphill battle where we really need to take our chances to pick up points.

It's a tricky question choosing the team and tactics because we are missing players in key positions because we have either sold them and not replaced them, released them or signed different types of footballers that I wouldn't nessicarily have done. It's also tricky without knowing some of the goings on within the club between certain players.

I'd be going for something like this at the moment ignoring short term injuries to the likes of Dann who I assume isn't too far away from returning.

GK - Robinson

RB - Dann

CB - Samba

CB - Givet

LB - Olsson

RM - Lowe

CM - N'Zonzi

CM - Pedersen

LM - Simon (I guess)

AM/FR - Hoilett

CF - Rochina

My biggest problems in picking the team is in the wide positions we really have almost nobody capable or playing there who can track back, cover for the full back when they overlap and do the dirty side of play. We do have Olsson yes who could do the job on the left but he's the only player we have who can do a job at left back. If we had a left back in the entire squad who was premiership standard then that would solve some of my issues.

The same problem goes with the right hand side to be honest, so that's why I'd be willing to give Dann a go at RB and hope that Lowe can take to RM as well as he has taken to RB. The likes of Rochina, Formica, Hoilett just don't have the defensive side to their game or the positional sense to do the job in my opinion.

Hoilett I'm honestly not sure about and would perhaps replace him with Formica. I'd have to talk to Junior personally and find out where his head is at right now and whether or not he is 100% committed to the cause while he remains with us. If he is then great, he's one of our better players, if not then I wouldn't even have him on the bench.

Rochina for me is our best forward and should be playing there, his problem will be holding the ball up and is something he will need the mental coaching for, that could be a tough one but it's certainly doable, his touch and control is terrific so there's no reason he couldn't hold the ball up when played into feet, he just needs to learn that he doesn't need to do it all on his own sometimes. Give him chances though and he will get goals from all kinds of angles, Hoilett will be a good attacking threat too obviously and when in position of the ball N'Zonzi and Pedersen can hold the middle of the park and allow the wide midfielders to get forward as well.

When we lose the ball it absoloutley has to be balls to the wall fighting to get it back, closing down from the front and working flat out until you get it back. (I don't think Yak has been a bad signing but it frustrates me when he literally walks around up front when we don't have possession doing nothing to close the other team down.

At the moment we almost seem to just throw two banks of four back who then drop deeper and deeper, it looks semi organised to the naked eye but one half decent run behind the first bank of 4 (The midfield) then seems to quickly expose the defence, the midfield seem to think their job is done as the ball is now past them and don't track back enough, defenders get dragged out of position and then the sloppy goals come, nobody to close people down, unmarked players getting on the end of crosses and passes etc etc.

They need to start working as a unit of 11, that's the modern way, it's not just about having two banks of four anymore in my opinion. As mentioned the forwards need to close down from the front, put pressure on the defender to go long. (Samba doesn't lose many in the air I've noticed, he's quite a big lad)

Then it's about working together, recognising your defensive responsibilities and where the danger lies, if the forward can't close him down quick enough and the easy pass is on then someone goes immediately to the next player and then the next Rovers player in line recognises the space that's been left by someone closing down and fills in for him, you don't give them any time and space at this level, the standard is too high and no matter how many men you get behind the ball they will create chances and score goals, the key is winning the ball back and then not losing it due to sloppy play. We don't have to play like Barcelona but the principles are the same.

You do things as easily as possible when you have the ball and you work your absolute asses off when you don't.

Our largest problem that I've recently identified is our transition from defence to attack which perhaps seems to have been mixed up from the old philosophy of football compared to the new one. When we're under pressure and win the ball back in our final third we hoof it, either out of play (Which is often the safest bet, fair enough)or forward to the likes of Yakubu, Roberts, Goodwillie. Yakubu can't run anything down, he's immobile, Roberts will run all day and make things 'awkward' but never actually wins it half of the time and Goodillie is somewhere in between the two.

The pressure comes straight back on to us as we fail to win it up the pitch, the players have no time to catch their breath and reorganise and again it leads to the sloppy goals in my opinion. What they should be doing is clearing it to feet much more these days, when it's an option they simply need to find N'Zonzi in the middle of the pitch. Now he's not world class or going to start pinging passes all over the park but what he does do is give it simple and more importantly seems confident in possession when players are around him. He'll charge 10 yards horizontally across the pitch and give it simple, has the pace and strength to create that little bit of time and rarely seems to give it away.

When they don't have the time to look up and find N'Zonzi (It's all about decision making, losing the ball in the middle of the park with a sloppy pass is about the worst thing we could do when trying to defend.) then again the ball has to be played into feet out wide to the likes of Simon, Lowe, Formica, whoever might be there, have the confidence in them to be able to keep it for a second or two while the team gets back into shape and maintains possession with simle easy passing, they have to stop the panic football.

And as mentioned when the balls to feet are not on then we really should be hoofing it out of play as far away from our goal as possible, not knocking aimless long balls down the center that come back at us before we've had chance to regroup.

Incidentally I wasn't asking who has been purchased, I'm aware of that, I just thought it would be interesting, you can only wee with the willy you've got, so Mr Souness told me (I wouldn't know about that but I'm sure he's right) - and I do apologise for having an opinion, I thought that's what message boards were about - silly me!

I think you have got it wrong. Message boards aren't about you having your opinion, but about everybody having their opinion. You are more than free, and it is your right on here, to post your opinion, but you don't have the right to stop people posting their opinion about your opinion. You have said your mind many a time in the past and disagreed with what others have thought, as is your right, so why do you seem surprised when others exercise the same right?

Of course, there is no need for name-calling or being personal, however, as we are all Rovers fans.

Regarding the rest of your post, I don't think Kean selected the wrong players yesterday, although it is obvious that we need a more defensive formation due to our inability to keep clean sheets. Two midfielders playing defensively are needed to guard our porous back line, and the full backs should think of defending first and foremost. Ideally, I'd have played Emerton and Diouf on the right as they would tighten up the side of the pitch, and MGP on the left. Sacrificing some attacking strength, admittedly, but it is our defence that is sending us down. Hoilett could play behind the striker.

tough question.

you are asking, what we would do now, but that isnt totally fair. There are decisions regarding transfers, where my choices would have been different. Instead of going all in on attacking midfielders, I´d have bought a tenacious and tough tackling midfielder or 2, perhaps extended jermaine loan deal. I´d always play 2 of those types, so rochina, formica or hoilett, would have some cover. That way the midfield would consits of oth strenght, creativity and structure.

I would alos have added another right back to the squad, one which could go straight into the lineup. One with pace.

Furthermore i would never play rochina, formica and hoilett at the same time, sure they are good players, but to have a lineup with those 3, just makes our midfield a bit weak when it comes to defending and strenght.

Id get hoilett away from the flanks, as we´ve seen numerous times , that he doesnt track back and as a result, both givet and salgado has looked much worse. If hoilett was to play on the wing, id have a defensive midfielder covering behind him, so the fullback isnt left alone.

my lineup would probably be something along the lines of

----------------------------------------------robinson---------------------------------

a more pacy right back-----samba--------------------/givet/dann------------olson/givet

---------------------------jermaine jones-------gamst---------- nzonzi-----------------

----------------------------------------(box to box midfielder)-------------------------

---------------------rochina----------------------------------------------------hoilett---------

----------------------------------------------- yakubu-------------------------------------

in this formation both rochina and hoilett would have the freedom to roam a bit and act like playmakers. They´d be the creative part of the team and be responsible for creating chances. Their main focus would be to support yak, but theyd still be instrucetd to track back a notch or 2 more then they do now. Both would have a defensive minded and strong midfielder covering them. The defensive midfieldrs, would also act as cover for the fullbacks, so they arent left alone when rochina and hoilett goes on the attack.

Fullbacks allowed to get forward, but only one at a time, that way the team would have some structure.

I thought we had a few master tactitians on here. I don't pretend to be one, but if you are going to criticize managerial decisions then you all must have some ideas of your own, and I was curious to know what they were. Where's Den when you need him?

To be fair you don't need to be a master tactician to know that Steve Kean can't do the job.

The problem is Mum, Kean has purchased badly, he has signed players but too many of a similar mould, Rochina, Formica, Dunn, Hoilett all favour playing in the hole behind a striker, none of them have great defensive capabilities, neither has Simon, so we have a major problem, each of the players have qualities but not to play in the same team!!

So, withy this in mind, I would play the following team, looking predominantly to support our defence from midfield and the front.

Robinson

Salgado

Samba

Givet

Olsson

Lowe

Nzonzi

Dann (as a defensive midfielder, doing what he does at CB but further up the park)

Pederson

Hoilett

Rochina

Subs

Bunn

Formica

Nelsen

Simon

Yakubu

Hanley

Pearson

The bench has a striker, two defenders, a keeper midfielder and a midfielder/ second striker.

Rochina as the main striker, playing with hoilett, both young, bit of pace and quality!!

mum .i know its not on topic this one BUT you said your mates WOULD fire kean based on results. How bad did they say it would need to be? we are now four points off safety and an awful Gd ,do the venkys not deem that bad? if not why not?

You're way off the mark there. They were boo'ing Kean's decision to bring off Rochina again.

I don't agree with boo'ing at all but can agree that bringing off Rochina was once again mystifying.

Agree with everyone who says we need to build from the back. We also need to make the most out of set pieces with the likes of Samba around.

Also I would try and avoid playing Hoilett and Rochina out wide as they don't track back. And I'd instruct the team to close the space in front of the penalty box.

Id choose:

GK Robinson

RB Lowe

CB Samba

CB Givet

LB Olsson

DM Petrovic

DM Nzonzi

AMR Simon

AML Formica

AMC Hoilett

ST Yakubu

Subs:

Bunn

Dann

Salgado

Rochina

Pedersen

Goodwillie

Dunn/Grella

I would avoid Roberts like the plague. That said, if I was Kean I would wonder how someone as unqualified and incompetent as myself got such a job. :wacko:

To answer the original question...

I would have signed a £7 million midfielder and not a centre back we had no need for.

He screwed up the summer signings so he's stuck now. With this team I'd go for a 4-5-1 formation, dropping Formica for Dunn/Grella/Petrovic. Play for set pieces, it's how we score most goals.

Injuries have made Kean pick a team that he should have picked from the start. Without Salgado and Givet at full back we've looked massively stronger. I'm in no doubt we'd have more points if he'd done these things from the opening day and not just when he was forced. I still think he's useless enough to put things back how they were when Dann and Salgado return.

The problem is Mum, Kean has purchased badly, he has signed players but too many of a similar mould, Rochina, Formica, Dunn, Hoilett all favour playing in the hole behind a striker, none of them have great defensive capabilities, neither has Simon, so we have a major problem, each of the players have qualities but not to play in the same team!!

So, withy this in mind, I would play the following team, looking predominantly to support our defence from midfield and the front.

Robinson

Salgado

Samba

Givet

Olsson

Lowe

Nzonzi

Dann (as a defensive midfielder, doing what he does at CB but further up the park)

Pederson

Hoilett

Rochina

Subs

Bunn

Formica

Nelsen

Simon

Yakubu

Hanley

Pearson

The bench has a striker, two defenders, a keeper midfielder and a midfielder/ second striker.

Rochina as the main striker, playing with hoilett, both young, bit of pace and quality!!

Similar thinking Kelbo. Playing wide midfielders that track back, making us solid is the important thing. Playing Hoilett & Rochina up front means teams have to droop deep to counteract the pace. They can also run the channels a damn site better than Roberts or yakubu and have the ability to score goals out of nothing - important if we're trying to grind out results. Ok, there's no physical presence but Pongol and Bellamy caused defences no end of problems with movement and pace a few years back.

I would do what I said I would do on TV, speak with the unhappy section and try and defuse the protests up-rising, people can be more reasonable when you face your critics.

Most of all I would take responsibility for my own actions and results

Interesting reply, glen. I have to say I agree with all your points.

Mum, Dunn WASN'T booed ! Coca was!

Ah, because he took Rochina off again then. Fair enough, obviously wanted to give Dunny a run out though, and who to take off? You see,so many have been criticizing Dunny especially after he spoke out against the protests, that's what gave me the wrong idea, some remarks were quite unpleasant, particularly from those on the LT site. Remind self not to read LT.

mum .i know its not on topic this one BUT you said your mates WOULD fire kean based on results. How bad did they say it would need to be? we are now four points off safety and an awful Gd ,do the venkys not deem that bad? if not why not?

You are right, Abbey. That's what I was given to understand. I can't tell you any further than that as I don't know the answer.

You're way off the mark there. They were boo'ing Kean's decision to bring off Rochina again.

I don't agree with boo'ing at all but can agree that bringing off Rochina was once again mystifying.

Yes, explained above. Rochina did look tired though.

We need some help for Olssen so, although he's not a favourite of mine, I'd stick Pedersen back in on the left. This would help out defensively and also let Olssen break forward. I'd also have Dann sitting in front of Givet and Samba with Nzonzi beside him.

Robinson

Lowe Samba Givet Olssen

Dann Nzonzi

Hoillet Rochina Pedersen

Yak

Well, I should probably have known better than to ask the question in the first place.

I just know that I enjoy watching football. Sometimes I have been known to wonder in possibly strong terms why a manager chooses a player that seems to be the last one that should be chosen, and to be fair there have been quite a few of those in my time.

To be honest, I'd rather leave it to the manager so he gets the blame :P but ok then, here's my take on it.

Don't really want to critisise roversmum but I thought the question was what would you do, all you have done is produce a basic resume of the players, not really a plan is it. Maybe thats where lover boy is going wrong.

1st action I would have taken after winning the lottery and being given the position of manager, would have been to carry out a SWOT analysis and construct an action plan from the information gathered, not just by me but the "team" and if after, not 12 months, 6 months the situatuation had not improved or I felt that I could not do the job I would have walked.

I am basing that on my own management experience something that Kean does not have and does not look like he is learning hence the position we are in,

The Rao's should know better to let it go on this long with their own management experience, I wonder if they have even asked if Kean has any knowledge of basic management tools or implemented any of them.

Hughes was a shining example of how to do this. A profesional MANAGER. (forgot to add so is BFS, I could almost 100% gaurantee that BFS carried out such practices when he took over and that led to the vast improvement in RESULTS)

Okay. There is much criticism of the Manager floating around. Some feel he should not be Manager, some feel play is improving, and we should stick with him.

That is not the purpose of this topic though.

What I am interested in, given the squad we have, how would YOU pick the squad for matches? Who would you play in what position and why.

What would your tactics be?

Who would be on the subs bench?

(taking into account current injuries of course)

What a silly post this is!!!! None of us are managers and none of us have any experince in premier league football. So to ask us this is rather pointless. It should be if we were the owners what would we do? Most people answers would be to employ an experienced premier league manager. This thread should be closed

What a silly post this is!!!! None of us are managers and none of us have any experince in premier league football. So to ask us this is rather pointless. It should be if we were the owners what would we do? Most people answers would be to employ an experienced premier league manager. This thread should be closed

Not silly at all. A perfectly reasonable thread,perhaps if you'd read it correctly you could have then decided whether to contribute meaningfully or to stay away.

I don't think Kean could have put out much better than he did against Chelsea. What's unarguable though is that we need to spend BIG on a proper goalscorer in January with perhaps a LB too so Olsson can be moved forward. I've been pretty impressed with Lowe so far so probably wouldn't buy a RB.

Archived