BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Football vs The Fans

I can't help but think that all of the current problems in modern football were started by a little known Belgian football club - RFC Liège - the club who were greedy about the transfer fee for a player they no longer wanted - Jean-Marc Bosman. Although I'm sure he will have had a clever agent by his side (not any more mind).

Although conventional wisdom is that it gave the power from clubs to players, it actually gave all of the power to football agents. Which is a bit like putting a fox on chicken-house patrol, and I expect the number of football agencies "looking after footballers" have increased greatly since the Bosman case.

The inflated wages (and additional "fees" to the many trolls under the many bridges) that can be commanded as a result of the "saving" of no upfront transfer fee, and through the need to protect an investment when contracts are up for renewal, has completely sucked out all of the money from the game. Spiralling costs have reached the point where clubs like ours can seemingly no longer afford to even pay players who are already on the books.

We all knew the delicate balancing act that JW and TF et al undertook every year, yet Venkys came in and said "we know best", when they were dazzled by the floodlights, followed by "we will do whatever it takes", when things started to go wrong, followed by "....." when it was clear they were in the poo. It just shows how completely naive they were to all things football. Worst still, it seems that a cultural pride and lack of meaningful cash have prevented them from doing anything to arrest the decline.

If the only plan they had was to use a mortgage to fund a purchase then anyone could have done the same. Well not quite anyone, you have to be able to show the bank some collateral that means you can pay the loan and interest back. Presumably then they just moved some funds around the business into "Venkys London" to demonstrate to Barclays that they had the means to repay - something you average Joe just couldn't do. (Was it this lack of cash flow elsewhere in their empire that closed down their Bollywood venture? Who knows). The situation with Rangers, however, has shown just how easy it was (is?) to pull the wool over the eyes of a bank looking to make a profit - and make their well earned bonuses of course.

And yet how does the bank make up for their own error of judgement? Of course, it calls in debts that they know can't reasonably be paid, and hang the consequences - presumably they wouldn't mind if the club went under because it would 'serve as a lessen' to others. No it wouldn't, because the people who are out to make a quick buck by taking a risk will continue to do so, whether it be owners, agents, or banks - after all it won't be them that suffer the consequences.

It wouldn't be the first time cashless owners have bought a club, just look at Portsmouth and Liverpool in recent times.  Although at least Pompey fans enjoyed the ride that their owners recklessness took them on - we've had nothing but grief - unless you count the temporary relief of escape on "Suicidal Sunday" last year as an achievement (I don't).

In terms of doing something about poor owners, an 'institution' like Liverpool not only have a larger group of determined fans but also have the public backing, sympathy and a celebrity fanbase to call on to put the spotlight and pressure on the banks. Clubs like Rovers, Pompey at al just have ordinary folk, most of whom couldn't get a mortgage of their own, if they had to these days, let alone defend a club.

All we have is a small group with loud voices, but without the coherent aims (from the outset) to get everyone onside. This isn't a pop at what is now called BRAG, Glen, Mark and Simon know (through my posts) what I think. It was difficult to keep the aims of the protests from changing because as the situation changed, they had to adapt. Like most right-thinking people it was assumed Venkys would act to replace Kean with some "encouragement" but it became clear that they would not give in, back down, admit mistakes, deviate from the plan (choose your view).

Yes, it's possible that Rovers fans, by and large, have made mistakes - the biggest one being unable to unite for the good of the club rather than the petty point scoring of who's the better fan. People won't like me saying so but, for me, the "fan's forum" have epitomised the lack of decisiveness, unity, and willingness to 'see the writing on the wall' during this period.

But unlike everyone else who has made money on the backs of their own mistakes (Venkys, agents, players, the Walkers, even the exiting board who signed their gagging orders in exchange for their 30 pieces of silver), the fans don't win anything, they have only had, and continue to have, misery and hurt.

Well, not ONLY misery and hurt. Actually, thanks to the spoutings of several media 'friends'; agency clients, clueless; ignorant pundits; and lazy, cowardly journalists, the fans have the added bonus of having to contend with ALL of the blame being piled on them as well. Dignity? Don't talk to me about dignity.

And all brought to you in HD by Sky Sports.

We've seen a situation evolve since Venkys to over where it's now the club vs the fans. The media have gotten firmly on the side of the club which has been surprising and frustrating for us fans but understandable - The premier league is huge, the clubs are worldwide brands and institutions, and the players are given godlike status for being at the centre of it. The fans are nobodies, despite the lip service.

What has emerged recently, and for whatever reason has not yet been picked up by the press is the club vs the players mentality. Every club has the odd petulant child that has some sort of dispute, it's part of the game, but how many players have to be driven out of our club before someone takes note? It's not like they're guys in their early twenties who have gotten too big for their boots and are engineering a move, these are guys in their 30s. We all know the stories behind these players so I won't go into detail, but a brief list: Nelsen, Salgado, Andrews, Roberts, Givet, off the top of my head.

The lunatics have taken over the asylum. The only solace I have is that I'll still be here when this shower leave, though what state the club will be in by that stage only time will tell.

I blame television money that begot the likes of Bosman.

With each passing day I hate modern football more and more.

I can't give a flying (Please don't use that word again) about the upcoming Euros.

I couldn't care less about most of the top flight but I think it's fantastic that Fleetwood are in the league.

Above all I hate those Venky illegitimates.

I blame television money that begot the likes of Bosman.

With each passing day I hate modern football more and more.

I can't give a flying (Please don't use that word again) about the upcoming Euros.

I couldn't care less about most of the top flight but I think it's fantastic that Fleetwood are in the league.

Above all I hate those Venky illegitimates.

There is a saying that money is the root of all evil.

I empathise with many of your points.

For many who went to Swansea yesterday, it will have been an expensive experience and they will have had to dig deep, possibly making sacrifices, and for what ?

What has happened with Rovers since the takeover has sickened me, however, it has crystallised a lot of thoughts in my mind and made it easier to walk away after this season.

I am delighted for Fleetwood - it's a smashing small club and I have personal connections with the town. That is where I intend to watch my football next season and I am certain that it will be far more enjoyable than the appalling experience of Rovers over the last 18 months. It's all personal choice but the thought of putting further money into Venky's coffers to help maintain that moron of a manager, I find to be personally nauseating.

Nice posts above. Well put. I agree with all of them.

Its a shame about the fans because we are the ones who will no doubt be blamed by both the club and the media for being relegated - because the fans are the easy target.

I think the lack of football governance also has a role to play - the government and the FA, despite all the talk this past year, has done little or nothing to impose a good governance regime, instead trusting in the Football League to do the right thing in governing its own. And there is quite frankly too much of a conflict of interest for that to ever happen. Essentially, the league is made up of the clubs - and their owners.

So our club descends into disarray thanks to atrocious and clueless ownership and management, the fans are pilloried all the while - performances on the pitch reflect the general malaise and arent helped by a drain of talent and woeful signings in its stead.

How much is a ST at Fleetwood ?

Nice posts above. Well put. I agree with all of them.

Its a shame about the fans because we are the ones who will no doubt be blamed by both the club and the media for being relegated - because the fans are the easy target.

I think the lack of football governance also has a role to play - the government and the FA, despite all the talk this past year, has done little or nothing to impose a good governance regime, instead trusting in the Football League to do the right thing in governing its own. And there is quite frankly too much of a conflict of interest for that to ever happen. Essentially, the league is made up of the clubs - and their owners.

So our club descends into disarray thanks to atrocious and clueless ownership and management, the fans are pilloried all the while - performances on the pitch reflect the general malaise and arent helped by a drain of talent and woeful signings in its stead.

How much is a ST at Fleetwood ?

Not cheap !

This season, if I remember correctly, ranged between about £220 and £280 for an adult.

Archived