BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Unwanted Pictures

This is driving me insane. Right, in picture gallery everything associated with some sort of image, keeps on populating in my picture gallery. Over and above my Downloads and camera pics, I have things like logos of apps and websites, pics of say maps, and anything where you can get an image. This is really frustrating, as I keep on having to delete them.

Any suggestions of how I can only get my downloads and camera pics in the Gallery?

Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I take it you are on Android?

Basically the gallery doe pull in every single image it finds as theres no distinct file structure of where items are saved.

To get items to NOT appear in the gallery you have to create a file called .nomedia (note the dot) in the folder where say map icons are appearing. This is easier said than done if you are using windows to file browse the phone as windows refuses to create what it sees as a file extension (the bit after a dot) without a filename.

I created the file in ESExplorer (free on Google Play) and then simply copied and pasted to the other folders where it was needed

You have to place that file in any and all directories that you don't want the media (pictures, video, music) to appear in the gallery.

So for example, I've just looked and all my TomTom icons and graphics are showing in my gallery, so In ESFile Explorer I go to /sdcard/tomtom/com.tomtom.ukireland/files/raster, select menu -> New -> File. Type in .nomedia in the dialogue box and hit ok.

Under unix, file starting with a "." are hidden by default so to see it you will have to go to Menu -> Settiings -> File Settings and select "Show Hidden Files".

You will then be able to see that file you just created. Long press on it and select copy and it will appear in and "drag up" menu at the bottom. Now you can go to any other folder where you don't want files to show and simply click the paste button at the top, or click on the icon in the "drag up" menu. You will need to select and copy the file again to copy it elsewhere.

Once you've created the file once, you might then actually be able to copy and paste within Windows, but I haven't tried that.

I was the other way, went from iPhone 4 to Samsung Galaxy S2, then back to iPhone 5 on release. Hated every single moment of the S2, especially the absolutely awful battery. I was using programmes like advanced task killer, and it was still dead by lunch time.

Someone once recommended I turned off my Internet when I wasn't using it, and that made the battery life really strong. How ridiculous is that?

Its not as ridiculous as having to go through itunes all the time, or only being able to bluetooth from apple to apple. Or not being able to play a specific video format without having to convert to an apple specific format, or being tied down to one standard UI etc

That is ridiculous imo, and why i went back to Android. I also dont get the Apple products just work, it doesnt. I had many apps crash on me, and the iphone freezing and getting horrible wifi signal. So iphone is not all that its made out to be. Sorry, but there are just many better phones out there imo.

• 4 weeks later...

I went through this with Jill's android phone a few months ago. I do find it nuts you can't

a. Specify a folder when importing using the window image import wizard

b. Configure Android to support the proper format that windows recognises an image folder (what iOS uses).

Both equally stupid omissions.

Think the 2nd point Glenn is making, is that Android doesnt recognise what is the folder for only actual images ie photos and downloaded pictures. Instead, anything that is an image will be imported to the gallery, unless you go through the .nomedia option.

The 1st point of Glenns post doesnt make sense, as Android doesnt bring up an import window(ive not seen this) like iOS. Basically a window, asking you if you want to import images to the specific folder. However, Android handles mass storage pretty much the same as a flash or hard drive. My Computer, find phone, open either media card or phone storage and drag and drop your files into the specific folder. If there is not an images folder, then just create one and drop the files in there.

Archived