BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] 18 Years Ago Today - Premier League Champions

• Moderation Lead

I was 11, and watched it in my front room with my dad, his mate and son, as we'd been unable to get tickets.

I will never forget that day.

Watched it in a pub in Glasgow. There was a double screen and it was absolute torture. Have to say most of the locals were up for Rovers, which eased things. The pub went mental at the final whistle. I've never had so many drinks bought for me before. A lot of people said it was the most exciting title decider they can remember. Crazy day!

What a day it was. What a season.

Being a Rovers fan these days feels very empty/sad in comparison but this thread has lifted my spirits a bit. I was a teenager and me and my mate convinced his dad, a policeman, to sneak us in to the local police station as it had Sky TV in the rec room. We watched the game as quietly as we possibly could, biting our nails and trying not to shout with fear, excitement, then joy at the final whistle.

After the game we ran outside the police station singing and shouting with joy. We must have been quite a sight in our Rovers kits in a town in Somerset!!

The days after that were spent getting all the newspapers I could and putting cuttings into my scrapbook. I was SO proud!!

I like that the memories feel closer than 18 years ago. Thank you, Jack.

Archived