BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] UFC Manchester October 26th

You got tickets yet fella? Only shame is it looks like it's about £240 for the cheapest left at the moment!

http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/UFC-Ultimate-Fighting-Championship-tickets/artist/806762

Yeh I got my tickets on the day they came out (I had the father in law book them for me credit card in hand), I regretted on missing out on a few in England so I didn't want to let this one pass me by.

I got mine at £100 each and I'm glad I did as I wouldn't want to stretch to that price! You can get more than a years subscription to BT Sport for that!

Some people are a bit displeased at the card but I'm pleased with how it's shaping up tbh.

Yeh I got my tickets on the day they came out (I had the father in law book them for me credit card in hand), I regretted on missing out on a few in England so I didn't want to let this one pass me by.

I got mine at £100 each and I'm glad I did as I wouldn't want to stretch to that price! You can get more than a years subscription to BT Sport for that!

Some people are a bit displeased at the card but I'm pleased with how it's shaping up tbh.

Yeh I think it'll be a decent event, it's not a loaded card but should be some good fights, read a few reports that ticket sales aren't going that well though due to the high prices.

They're apparently much higher than previous events.

Its not a terrible card but still pretty weak, Bisping v Munoz should be a good fight. They should move Taylor and Njokuani up higher on the card, Pearson v Guillard seems a waste, two gate keepers who should have been matched up agsinta Vanrer or Vallie Flagg

It's certainly not the strongest compared with other cards (see UFC 167) but I wouldn't call it weak. Linker always brings it, as does Taylor and Sakara. Think the UFC have realised the sport just isn't going to take off here as much as they hoped. That's why the UK cards now just seem like token events. However I'll take that over not having to pay for PPV events twice a month. Far more profitable to focus on the Brazilian and, as it looks now, East Asian markets. Think the Australian cards are going to be more stacked in the future also.

And if worse comes to worse they can always roll out GSP in Canada!

Live UFC is great - the fans are baying for blood and the noise is deafening. I went to UFC 105, which had the usual token Brits - Bisping (got off the floor to beat Kang, good fight) Pearson (I barely remember that one) and Hardy (took a boring decision to get his inexplicable title shot against GSP). The atmosphere was insane.

If you're scared of heights, the MEN arena is not the place for you. The sides are practically vertical.

IMG_3102.jpg

Not a bad seat, though.

IMG_3104.jpg

Main event was awful - Randy Couture pressing Brandon Vera up against the cage for 15 minutes.

IMG_3111.jpg

It's certainly not the strongest compared with other cards (see UFC 167) but I wouldn't call it weak. Linker always brings it, as does Taylor and Sakara. Think the UFC have realised the sport just isn't going to take off here as much as they hoped. That's why the UK cards now just seem like token events. However I'll take that over not having to pay for PPV events twice a month. Far more profitable to focus on the Brazilian and, as it looks now, East Asian markets. Think the Australian cards are going to be more stacked in the future also.

And if worse comes to worse they can always roll out GSP in Canada!

167 is stacked! Any one of those fights on this card and it would have been the main event.

For a country that has such a rich fighting pedigree it is a shame that they don't push the UK market harder. I always watch Cagewarriors and BAMMA events and they are pretty good.

• 2 weeks later...

The judging was wrong, I gave last two rounds to Jones but Gus won the other three.

He isn't the greatest ever though, Fedor went 10 years undefeated, Anderson Silva had 16 consecutive wins and 10 titles defences. Arguably he is in the top 3 LHW with Wandy and Hendo

The judging was wrong, I gave last two rounds to Jones but Gus won the other three.

He isn't the greatest ever though, Fedor went 10 years undefeated, Anderson Silva had 16 consecutive wins and 10 titles defences. Arguably he is in the top 3 LHW with Wandy and Hendo

I thought it was a clear win for Jones. He got busted up, but there's no way you can give round two to Gus, and round three was very close. Four and five were definitely Jones's.

He certainly looked mortal, though. Nobody's ever really touched him before, but he very nearly got run-and-jabbed to defeat here. After that, it seems like he has a long way to go before he can be regarded as an all time great.

Fedor tainted his legacy by fighting outside of Japan and getting brutalised by Bigfoot. And knocked out by a middleweight. Anderson is the best ever, in my opinion. You could always rely on him to do something outrageous, rather than just grind his opponent into the mat for 20 minutes.

Anderson is the best ever and will prove why when he tools Weidman in the rematch. Edges it over Fedor IMO. To be fair to Fedor, Henderson could knock to a rhino with that punch!

Another four or five years and Jones will surpass that as I just can't see him being soundly beaten by anybody in his division. There's talk of him moving up to heavyweight in the future, I just think he will be ragdolled by the top guys there. Obviously he know his body better than I do so what do I know?

Anderson is the best ever and will prove why when he tools Weidman in the rematch.

I'm not so sure about that... I think Anderson is a long way past his best.

The last fight, I knew there was no way Anderson was going to win. He's my favourite fighter, and while I didn't think he'd get knocked out, I was so certain he'd lose horribly that I couldn't bring myself to watch it. I just checked the internet the next day to confirm it.

Unless he's found a time machine that can take six years off his age, he's probably going down again next time. His reflexes have faded. I'd love to be proved wrong, but this is another fight I'm not watching. Weidman is nothing special, and he doesn't deserve to be the one who retires Anderson.

I share your sentiment to a degree (in terms of his reflexes etc), but Weidman only had him down for a couple of minutes. Ok he went for a kneebar but you could see Anderson was on his way up and after that he knew he wasn't going to take him down again. Think it helped that Silva drew him into swinging at him with his silly antics and my only fear would be that Weidman ignores this in the rematch and just starts spamming takedowns.

Who knows, maybe he was hoping for that hammer from Weidman to avoid an obvious and inevitable beating from Jones?? I jest, I jest....

I share your sentiment to a degree (in terms of his reflexes etc), but Weidman only had him down for a couple of minutes. Ok he went for a kneebar but you could see Anderson was on his way up and after that he knew he wasn't going to take him down again. Think it helped that Silva drew him into swinging at him with his silly antics and my only fear would be that Weidman ignores this in the rematch and just starts spamming takedowns.

Who knows, maybe he was hoping for that hammer from Weidman to avoid an obvious and inevitable beating from Jones?? I jest, I jest....

From what I could bring myself to watch of it, it seemed to me as though Weidman pretty much had his way with Anderson in the first round and then punched him senseless in the second. I haven't seen any clips of Anderson landing a single decent shot.

Watching a fighter you really like suffer that inevitable decline must be the worst thing in sports. Relegation and cup defeats are easy to take because there's always going to be another chance next year. Mike Tyson losing to bums, Chuck Liddell getting sparked out by all and sundry... those things are just horrible to watch. I wish they'd retire at the peak of their powers.

Well he scored one takedown from three attempts and I think from then on, Weidman knew he wasn't going to take him down again (as the third was pretty feeble) maybe he had an adrenaline dump I don't know. Think Anderson just got sucked in by this and got too confident and arrogant with his striking (a la the Abu Dhabi debacle). He had his hands down letting Weidman hit him he was just asking to be knocked out.

Hopefully he takes the rematch a bit more seriously, or like you say he could end up like Chuck and nobody wants to see that.

Archived