BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] coast to coast cycling

Has anyone ever attempted coast to coast on a road cycle. Have you any advice or information.

I am currently planning on attempting the route in just 1 day. Its around 140 miles and will be doing it for charity.

We are looking for more riders. So if anyones interested message me.

I cycled the CtC a couple of years back from Workington to Tynemouth. We did 2 days though to open it up to more people.

What is your planned route SAS?

Depending on the route etc it is achievable in a day. The first 50 miles were pretty flat for us to penrith then you have an horrific 50 miles with hill after hill through Allenheads before 40 mile down hill and flat.

Have you got logistics sorted for getting to and from the start?

Overall though a great ride and highly recommended!!!!

I've ridden it in two days but know plenty of people do it in one for charity or as a personal challenge.

My recollection of the route, it is ten years ago, is this. I started in Whitehaven and found the first 70/75 miles fairly easy on an undulating route - there are climbs but nothing that sticks out as hard.

At 75 miles you will hit Hartside! This is tough but I now know not as difficult as expected. There are two routes up Hartside, the main road and a back road which is the actual C2C route. First time I rode Hartside I went up the main road - this was originally built as a coach road and has a perfect gradient. As there is no variation in the gradient for 3 miles for me it was agony to ride up. The back road, which I rode last time, is fine. Much steeper but with a widely varying gradient and lots of twists and turns to keep you occupied - much easier.

After Hartside you'll drop into Garrigill after a VERY fast descent. The turning to Garrigill is about three quarters of the way down and easily missed. I recall scaring myself on this descent and only just spotting the turn!!!!

About one mile out of Garigill you hit the steepest piece of tarmac in Engkand. It's around 300 metres long and you just turn right and hit it with no warning!!

Next you have to climb Nenthead, Black Hill and Allenheads. It's tough but my recollection is not as bad as expected, after Allenheads I do remember finding the climb up to Waskerley Way difficult.

Overall the harder hilly section is about 25-30 miles.

When I rode the C2C the Waskerley Way was unpaved. I used a hybrid and coped with it easily, a road bike might not - a tourer should be OK. from the top of Waskerley it's down hill for the remaining +/- 25 to 30 miles. This is a fast descent.

I would definetely go west to east as the climbs are short and sharp with long descents. Go the other way and you'll have plenty if long drags to climb.

Get some VERY good lights and try to time your finish to get down Waskerley in daylight if it is still unpaved.

It's easy to get to Newcastle to get a train home.

I couldn't do it in a day but for a younger, fit, experienced cyclist it is doable.

Somewhere on the web is a blog of my ride. I'll try to find a link.

I cycled the CtC a couple of years back from Workington to Tynemouth. We did 2 days though to open it up to more people.

What is your planned route SAS?

Depending on the route etc it is achievable in a day. The first 50 miles were pretty flat for us to penrith then you have an horrific 50 miles with hill after hill through Allenheads before 40 mile down hill and flat.

Have you got logistics sorted for getting to and from the start?

Overall though a great ride and highly recommended!!!!

We are planning either whitehaven or workington to sunderland.

We are planning on staying the night before the start and then straight home at the finish.

We will have one driver that will have all our nutrition and hydration, and also for the lift home.

Archived