BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Match Report: Blackburn Rovers Under 18's 1 - 1 Middlesbrough Under 18's

Parsonblue's match report from the recent Under 18's match:

Tuesday 11th August 2015 – The Premier Academy Under-18 League

Blackburn Rovers Under-18 1 v 1 Middlesbrough Under-18

Blackburn Rovers Under-18 (1) 1

Steer 36

Andrew Fisher; Lewis Travis, Matthew Platt, Charley Doyle, Josh Askew; Stefan Mols, Joe Grayson; Tre Pemberton, Mason Fawns (Stuart Callaway 75), Ramirez Howarth; Joel Steer (Alex Curran 74).

Subs not used: Ben Ascroft (gk), Matthew Makinson, Jan Pirretas.

Coach: Billy Barr

Middlesbrough Under-18 (1) 1

Platt (own goal) 41

Thomas Dawson; Liam Hegarty, James Cook, Niall McGoldrick, Anthony Renton; Alex Pattison, Ben Liddle, Marcus Tavernier, Patrick Reading (Mitchell Curry 46); Daniel Jardine (Jack Lambert 52), Lee Hetherington.

Subs not used: Bradley James (gk), Jay Wilson, Nathan Convery.

Coach: Craig Liddle

The Under-18’s opened their League encounter with a tough fixture against Middlesbrough, who won the title last season and thereby qualified for this season’s UEFA Youth League.

The game was delayed for a quarter of an hour because of the late arrival of the visitors but within six minutes of the start Lee Hetherington had escaped the Rovers’ defence and managed to get in a shot which Andy Fisher saved quite comfortably.

The Rovers immediately launched an attack of their own which ended when Tre Pemberton played in Lewis Travis but the full-back’s cross was cleared.

These two combined again on ten minutes and when the cross came in Dawson, merely punched the ball away but it was quickly returned and the ‘keeper was forced to make a save at the feet Joel Steer.

The Rovers were looking quite competitive and Steer picked up a yellow card for a late tackle on Liam Hegarty.

On twenty-two minutes, Steer was in the thick of the action again when he chased a long ball and the ‘keeper was forced to come to the edge of his area to make a save as the Rovers’ number nine was about to pounce.

A minute later and it was the Middlesbrough centre-forward, Hetherington, who showed good control to take the ball into the area but the fired into the side netting.

On twenty-five minutes the Rovers almost opened the scoring when Mason Fawns dragged the ball away from a defender in the area before crashing his shot against the Middlesbrough crossbar.

However, on thirty-six minutes the Rovers took the lead thanks to a wonderful piece of play by the Pemberton. The winger beat two ‘Boro players and left them in his wake before chipping the perfect pass into the penalty area and over the Middlesbrough defence for Steer to run onto and head the ball home.

Sadly, the lead didn’t last long as the visitors pulled level on forty-one minutes. The ball came across from the left and Fisher attempted to punch it clear but failed to get much distance on his clearance. In a flash the ball came back into the box from the right and in attempting to head the ball behind, Matty Platt merely succeeded in heading it into his own net.

As half-time approach Joe Grayson attempted a pot at goal but his effort was blocked for a corner which came to nothing.

Middlesbrough made a change at the interval whilst the Rovers kept faith with the same eleven. However, although the Rovers had enjoyed a decent amount of possession during the first forty-five minutes the opening period of the second half was a much more even affair.

On fifty minutes Grayson’s free-kick flew just wide whilst five minutes later Hetherington had an effort saved by Fisher.

The Rovers brought on Alex Curran in place of Steer but it was Middlesbrough who were beginning to ask more questions of the Rovers’ back line. Hetherington chipped a free-kick over the Rovers’ wall but Fisher read it and collected the ball with ease.

Curran worked his way into the area with some tricky play but slipped just as he was in the process of shooting and the ball flew narrowly over the bar. Both of Middlesbrough’s substitutes – Mitchell Curry and Jack Lambert – had efforts which were off target whilst the lively Pemberton had another effort blocked.

Curran was played into the area and found himself in space but as he was about to shoot a defender got back and made a desperate tackle to win the ball. Pemberton then showed some neat footwork and burst into the area and as Dawson came out to meet him he chipped the ball over the ‘keeper but, sadly, it lacked power and a defender was able to get back and clear off the line.

It was a fairly entertaining affair and a draw was a fair result as both sides had spells when they dominated. Tre Pemberton is a tricky little winger who has an eye for a pass whilst Alex Curran impressed with his ability to find good positions and his intelligent use of the ball. Joel Steer worked hard up front and didn’t give the defenders a moment’s rest and, of course, nipped in to score the opening goal. Joe Grayson and Stefan Mols both got through a lot of work in midfield and used the ball well in trying to feed the wings.

• Backroom

Average and without that surname and the money to go to a manchester city allied private school then he was always going to be signed up. Sad really I could show you at least 10 lads better who are playing in conference /conference north youth teams.

Go on then...

Hey.

Man City fan here... I come in peace etc. Basically, i'm a huge fan of the academy football and I got to every City u21/u18 game I can, like a few in here from what I can gather! I write a blog on it all too. I really enjoy it.

Anyway - point i'm here is because I was wondering if anyone could help regards to going to u18s games. I'm hoping to drive up on Saturday morning as our 18s play each other and i'd quite like to watch it as its not too far away. Are fans okay to just turn up and just attend? Even though its not that far really, its still about 45/50 minutes and its a bit much to go and get turned away ha. City's u18s are often relatively behind closed doors and you can get turned away if you dont email in advance you see.

If anyone could advise that'd be great. Cheers all!

• Backroom

Hey.

Man City fan here... I come in peace etc. Basically, i'm a huge fan of the academy football and I got to every City u21/u18 game I can, like a few in here from what I can gather! I write a blog on it all too. I really enjoy it.

Anyway - point i'm here is because I was wondering if anyone could help regards to going to u18s games. I'm hoping to drive up on Saturday morning as our 18s play each other and i'd quite like to watch it as its not too far away. Are fans okay to just turn up and just attend? Even though its not that far really, its still about 45/50 minutes and its a bit much to go and get turned away ha. City's u18s are often relatively behind closed doors and you can get turned away if you dont email in advance you see.

If anyone could advise that'd be great. Cheers all!

I'd recommend sending a PM to a poster called 'Parsonblue' as he can advise you best. He attend most Rovers games at all levels.

Archived