BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Openbox V8

After being held to ransom by Sky and subsequently switching to BT infinity, I've also trialled an android box (Kodi), not bad actually and FREE to use.

Now ordered an Openbox (plus Gift) as the lads at work swear by them. Getting from eBay and collecting by click and collect from Argos on Thursday, keep you posted.

Had one for 12 months, can't argue with them. Scramble occasionally but you can live with it.

Only issue with getting off eBay is you are held to ransom by the person in charge of the server, if they turn it off in a month nothing you can do. Just have to buy another line.

never heard of openbox but I sure miss the days of the D-box2 and dreambox(cheers cable), can an openbox do what they did?

Same thing TJ but sky. If you miss those days, you need not be doing so 😉

Have a look on Techkings.co.uk (could be .com) There's a magic box for everything these days.

Only issue with getting off eBay is you are held to ransom by the person in charge of the server, if they turn it off in a month nothing you can do. Just have to buy another line.

I know plenty who have them and I'd second that. You should only be paying £20-40 for the gift (line) and £40 for the box.

• Backroom

I'm not overly keen on the Kodi android boxes, the quality doesn't seem great, maybe I'm setting it up wrong.

The open boxes are absolutely brilliant though, get every Sky Channel possible (inc. Box Office & HD) and the quality is just the same as a normal Sky box would be.

I got one off Ebay and it was a bit poor quality and cut off after 2 months. Ever since I've had one off a guy from round here and had it for 2 years with no problems whatsoever.

I think more and more people seem to be going down this route now with Skys extortionate prices.

Had one for 12 months, can't argue with them. Scramble occasionally but you can live with it.

I know what you mean, but with a gift averaging around £15 if it only lasts three months you're still quids in 😊

Kodi has always been legal, it is the continuation of XBMC (XBox Media Center) and XBMP before it. I've used it since the original XBOX incarnations as it is a superb media player.

It's the 3rd party plugins and the use thereof which are technically illegal.

With regards to Openbox, again, the hardware itself is 100% legal and are sold as "Freeview Satellite Receivers" which they indeed are. As TJ says, it's what people do with them after that which is illegal. Unfortunately this is the subject matter in the thread above. As soon as you start talking about receiving full Sky packages with "gifts" for £30, this is completely illegal. "Gifts" are just a nice friendly name for card sharing, hence the need for an internet connection.

Archived