BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Season Reviews VHS/DVDs question

I'm slowly trying to collect as many season review VHS and DVD as I can.  The oldest I've been able to find is for the 1991/92 season.  Does anyone know if they were made prior to this?  The only older tape I have is the Worthington Cup final, but I'm curious if there were season review compilations before 1991/92.

And on the other end of the spectrum, my most recent is 2017/18, were they made any time after this?

And finally, what year did they switch to DVD?  2002/03 is on VHS and 2005/06 is on DVD, so I'm wondering if anyone knows which of the two years between that was the first DVD.

If anyone is interested in watching any old stuff, I've uploaded full videos to Archive.org under my username SanDimas1988, or ones with copyright strikes edited out on YouTube under Rick Lewis.

• Like 1

No season reviews have been released since the League 1 season. I had a DVD of the goals scored in 04/05 (don't think they did a full season review), which I believe was a season ticket bonus gift that year and not available to purchase.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SanDimas1988 said:

I'm slowly trying to collect as many season review VHS and DVD as I can.  The oldest I've been able to find is for the 1991/92 season.  Does anyone know if they were made prior to this?  The only older tape I have is the Worthington Cup final, but I'm curious if there were season review compilations before 1991/92.

And on the other end of the spectrum, my most recent is 2017/18, were they made any time after this?

And finally, what year did they switch to DVD?  2002/03 is on VHS and 2005/06 is on DVD, so I'm wondering if anyone knows which of the two years between that was the first DVD.

If anyone is interested in watching any old stuff, I've uploaded full videos to Archive.org under my username SanDimas1988, or ones with copyright strikes edited out on YouTube under Rick Lewis.

I'm a bit of a geek with season reviews as i had them all as a kid and watched them all hundreds of times.

There are season reviews out there from 89/90 and 90/91 but must be ridiculously rare. 

They then released a season review every season from 91/92 to 97/98.

98/99 has a half season review but no end of season one presumably because of relegation.

There was no review for the 99/00 season ever released.

00/01 had a half season review, then a full season review at the end of the season. (Which is probably the worst one they ever released to be honest).

01/02 & 02/03 were both on VHS with a special double VHS in 01/02 showing highlights of the Worthington Cup run plus the full 90 minutes of the final, which was released separately to the end of season VHS. (This was later re-released on DVD with the 94/95 champions DVD)

03/04 had no review, with 04/05 just being a short DVD of all our goals that season which came with the ST renewal pack.

05/06 through to 10/11 all had a season review released on DVD, with nothing else until the 17/18 League one DVD, and nothing since.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I'm a bit of a geek with season reviews as i had them all as a kid and watched them all hundreds of times.

There are season reviews out there from 89/90 and 90/91 but must be ridiculously rare. 

98/99 has a half season review but no end of season one presumably because of relegation.

There was no review for the 99/00 season ever released.

00/01 had a half season review, then a full season review at the end of the season. (Which is probably the worst one they ever released to be honest).

01/02 & 02/03 were both on VHS with a special double VHS in 01/02 showing highlights of the Worthington Cup run plus the full 90 minutes of the final, which was released separately to the end of season VHS. (This was later re-released on DVD with the 94/95 champions DVD)

03/04 had no review, with 04/05 just being a short DVD of all our goals that season which came with the ST renewal pack.

05/06 through to 10/11 all had a season review released on DVD, with nothing else until the 17/18 League one DVD, and nothing since.

Wow, that totally changes things then.  I have 10/11 and 17/18, I just assumed they must have been released every year between then.  Same goes for a lot of those other ones you mentioned.  I guess I have a near complete collection then, whereas I previously thought I was only about halfway.

I just remembered to look at a post from last year.  Someone on here a while back had a whole bunch of them for sale, had two different 90/91s in there.  He posted them for sale, but then didn't want to ship them to me in the US even though I was fine with paying the ridiculous shipping, and donated them all to a charity shop instead, so they're gone forever.  Of the 20 tapes he had, I've been able to find about 14 of them, so at least some will be preserved online, and I'll be keeping my eye out for any others that pop up on eBay.  I've actually got 8 tapes coming to me as we speak.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I save this post and go back every so often to see what I need.  You're actually sorta missing two, that I now have.  1991-92 actually has 3 versions.  It has Part 1, Part 2, and then The Rovers Return for the whole season.  I've recently picked up Parts 1 and 2, so I look forward to seeing the differences.

On 03/05/2022 at 11:21, MarkBRFC said:

I save this post and go back every so often to see what I need.  You're actually sorta missing two, that I now have.  1991-92 actually has 3 versions.  It has Part 1, Part 2, and then The Rovers Return for the whole season.  I've recently picked up Parts 1 and 2, so I look forward to seeing the differences.

I didn't realize until today I had 00/01 and never watched it.  You are right that it's the worst.  There's no narration, it's just sometimes got text over the bottom of the screen.  Really poor effort.

So it appears all I'm missing are the two Holy Grails, 89/90 and 90/91, then the two half season 98/99 and 00/01.

Oh god, this is so much fun but so frustrating, because no one saved them to sell to me on eBay 30 years later.