BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Computer Recording Program

Hi. I'm trying to look for a good recording program for an online Pro Evolution Soccer game that someone is playing tonight (it's actually a sort of big match to settle an argument, and there are a lot of interested spectators, but that's another story). The stipulation is that it has to be free and be able to record half an hour's worth of footage. I have not been able to find one yet. Any help would be well appreciated.

Nevermind. Finally found one in Hypercamp, but it has an "unregistered" logo in the corner because it is a trial version. Any suggestions would still be welcomed, but it's not necessarily a pressing need.

The argument festered from an online league. There is a random selection process consisting of Champions League teams, whereby you get three choices when signing up for a new season. There are proponents who hold that playing with the likes of Ajax is season ending, while playing with Inter Milan virtually guarantees promotion or contesting for the first division title.

I disagree, because I practice with Blackburn Rovers for most of my games (severely under-rated in the game, in my opinion!) and am able to win against the likes of Inter Milan, so I fail to see why teams like Ajax would be a bother. It comes down to the player in two senses: in terms of ability obviously, but also their sook factor. Some people just need to win, otherwise they crack.

I disagree, because I practice with Blackburn Rovers for most of my games (severely under-rated in the game, in my opinion!) and am able to win against the likes of Inter Milan, so I fail to see why teams like Ajax would be a bother. It comes down to the player in two senses: in terms of ability obviously, but also their sook factor. Some people just need to win, otherwise they crack.

Half agree however that is with you playing as Blackburn who as you say are an underrated team. If someone of your skill level were to play as Ajax etc then they would probably beat you as the team plus the skill level is better than yours.

Half agree however that is with you playing as Blackburn who as you say are an underrated team. If someone of your skill level were to play as Ajax etc then they would probably beat you as the team plus the skill level is better than yours.

I dont know what it is but if I play my mate with Real Madrid/Barca (he goes Liverpool) Its quite even. If I play with Rovers, I hammer him everytime even though I get annoyed because none of the Rovers guys seem to be able to control anything.

Very strange

(also, sorry James I cant help with your question - to keep on the topic :) )

There's also one that was specifically designed for caputuring PES games but I can't remember what it was called. I've used Fraps and it's fairly simple.

Thing is, no matter which one you use that's going to capture a lot of video which is going to take up huge amounts of space (unless it's compressed) and I remember with Fraps it limited your FPS to 25 whilst it recorded which would be completely unplayable.

If someone of your skill level were to play as Ajax etc then they would probably beat you as the team plus the skill level is better than yours.

The problem with that is that it is agreeable on a theoretical level but is unrealistic. For example, there is a particular player that some very good first division players have difficulty against. However, myself a division ywo player have found this opponent none too flustering, even if I find these division one veterans very hard to win against. In a way it is sort of the same situation as Cocker's whereby a designated skill level between three different factors does not necessarily add up in the way you would expect it, except in his situation it is between teams and in mine between human players.

There are other things that come into play such as different tactical styles, knowing which players to utilisise and where (Adriano might not work for you in a four-four-two and so even though you are playing him well in your usual style, you are not utilising him properly), the right players being in the right place at the right time (is McCarthy on the end of a peach of a cross, or is McCarthy too deep having played the ball and Mokoena the closest to the spot?), (EDIT: player morale), current form, just plain dumb luck, etc. You can't tell me that playing as Rovers against my clone, who plays with Ajax, will most probably win (not merely probably, because I too can probably beat him). They might come out on top after a ten match series far more often than not, but they are just as likely to lose many matches too. My counter is that playing with the weaker team against my equal skill-wise, I would be able to beat them more often than not if I can get other factors mentioned above (some random, some not) into my favour most of the time.

Anyway, my main point is if these people bothered to present themselves with a challenge in practice, then they wouldn't need to be complaining when they were assigned to "weaker" teams. They would be well-prepared and at a better skill level too because they would have to work harder and think harder about exploiting the opposition's weakness.

This showdown, which was supposed to happen last night but did not for the time being because of a bandwidth excuse, is between two individuals who think they are as good as the other. The challenger is going to play with the weaker Porto, while the other will presumably play with Chelsea. The challenger thinks he can beat the Chelsea player regardless of the strength of the opposition, that playing with the top teams is not necessary for success. The challenged thinks that he won't be beaten unless the challenger chooses a team like Barcelona, whereby he will have a fair chance. Both will be playing with teams they are familiar with. We can presume they are on the same level. If the challenger wins then he rubbishes all over the Chelsea man's theory that he had a relegation season because of the team, and that he would be a challenger had he had Chelsea or Inter Milan. Alternatively, if the challenger loses, then it goes to show that the team you are selected to play with is hugely season-defining. But even then one match really shouldn't decide this; a series of matches should for a more accurate assessment. But there you go, they are staking next month's participation in the leagues on this. The loser has to take a sabbatical for the next season.

Sorry for not cutting this post down, but that one sentence of yours caught me off-guard. I am very confused and have tried to make sense of it all, so it is hard to pinpoint a counter-argument. I leave all that there for some food for thought. Some sort of genius could give us an answer I'm sure. Perhaps you?!

Thanks to those suggesting video capturing programs. Will check the one mentioned and look for the PES-specific one. My brother seems to think his mobile phone camera could do the trick since the screen doesn't flicker when recorded.

Very interesting read and I agreed with all of your points. A lot of it is very subjective.

Just to clarify my point though, lets theorise that we could clone you. Therefore exact same skill level and experience etc then have you play yourself using Ajax and Rovers. Which would win? I would have presumed Ajax as the team is more highly rated in PES yet your skill level is the same.

Perhaps, but the AI does throw in a bit of the random factor with player morale and form. Assuming they are all green, then who is to say Rovers do not have the better tactics? If we (myself and clone) were to play the same tactics, what if the Ajax left back, for example, was rubbish and allowed me to exploit a loophole in an excellent position, even if the rest of the Ajax team was very good? The Rovers loophole might not be so critical, like a general attacking weakness. I agree that the Ajax victory is theoretically more likely, but too many factors come into it and it's a blurred distinction to make.

Personally I think the three-team random selection idea for the online league is excellent because it is essentially random and it presents a different challenge each season. If you get a weaker team then you should cop it on the chin and be able to work through the (supposed) disadvantage, which isn't very much in the first place because it's not like teams like Watford are in the mix. Plus a lot of the random factors mentioned previously do come into the picture.

By the way, Chelsea (a selectable team in the online league) beat Porto (not a team available for selection) 4-3. It kind of weakens my own position in the debate because the Chelsea guy is getting relegated to division two while the Porto player was already safe in division one (he stays in it but misses next season... not really punishment enough in the end, but they both couldn't stake their place in the division).

Archived