BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Stlye Of Play

I was wondering if any of you guys who watched the rovers in when we had

SUTTON SHEARER

RIPLEY WILCOX

playing and banging in the goals.

The reason for doing this is to create a tactic for my side on Footy Manager !

i think my current team replicates the above players well, fast wingers and good finishers

I would be grateful if you could tell me what you would put for the options on this pic

untitledhz9.png

I was wondering if any of you guys who watched the rovers in when we had

SUTTON SHEARER

RIPLEY WILCOX

playing and banging in the goals.

The reason for doing this is to create a tactic for my side on Footy Manager !

i think my current team replicates the above players well, fast wingers and good finishers

Your going to get hammered for bringing footie manager onto the main board! Maybe this should be in the computer section...

Its interesting though. Back in 95 wingers getting to the byline was the standard approach in the prem and we were the best at doing it. Nowadays that type of play has all but disappeared, its all about crossing from deep and strikers running the channels. Even when high qaulity wingers have turned up in the top division (Ronaldo, Robben, Lennon, SWP) their game seems to be all about running at the heart of defence rather than looking to cross. Very few teams play with proper width, and the ones that do (like us) look for the early ball. If anyone is going to make it to the corner flag its the fullbacks (Emertonhas been brilliant at this)

I suppose its all down to defenders improving and managers being concerned about overstretching their midfield and being left vulnerable.

All that said you woud have to say, despite Wilcox and Ripley being great wingers, Rovers are in an outstanding position in terms of creating opportunities in the box. Bentley is the finest crosser I have ever seen at Ewood, while Pedersen, Warnock and Emerton all provide great ammunition for the forwards. If we managed to get in someone like Mido (and he wasn't a sulking waste of space) you would have to fear for for opposing defences. He would eat up the crosses.

ps. in relation to the game stick "cross from" to "the by-line". And I wouldn't be that attacking, you will get murdered on the counter attack!

Archived