BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] New Monitor Help Required Please

Just got a new monitor at work, its an HP L1908wi 19 inch widescreen. After attaching it to my existing PC, I have to say the resolution and colours look awful. I installed the drivers before plugging it in etc, so why does a good quality monitor look so crap? Do I need a new graphics card or something?

According to the properties on the screen display settings, I have an S3 Graphics PRo DDR card. The monitor says best resolution is 1440 x 900 6mhz, but there is no setting for that on the sliding scale thing!

Help??!!

Can't help ozzie but a word of warning. Be careful. Once you screw up one of these fancy monitors it's a nightmare getting them right again. I found out the hard way! :blush::angry2:

We've had a small issue with a couple of LG ones at work doing this, installing the drivers fixes it as the resolution is not a natural Windows one - but you say you've already done this are you certain it's the right driver and there's no others to try on the HP site? Also, I usually install the drivers after fitting the monitor, have you tried redoing it - if it's native resolution isn't listed then that usually means the driver isn't install correctly.

Do you have an 'Auto' button (or something similar) on the front of it to try a screen refit?

Failing that maybe it could be the graphics card, but to be honest a lot of modern onboard ones seem to cope without any issue...although the ones we have are HP ones!

• 3 months later...

This might sound a bit soft ... but what's folks advice regarding the best product for cleaning laptop screens??? There are a couple of smears which look distinctly food based - I'd like to go in with Mr Muscle and the pan scourer but surely there's a more subtle way forward?

Tris, if you have a plasma or LCD TV, check its manual. It should have cleaning instructions in there. That will do for your laptop screen.

I got family members el cheapo screen cleaning kits for Christmas. The instructions on the back read as follows:

"The long life of liquid crystal screen, prvotally based on maintenance dustproof, oilproof, dampproof etc.Terminally cleaning can keep it in good working estate and it is also the most efficient methods to extend use life"

It works though.

This might sound a bit soft ... but what's folks advice regarding the best product for cleaning laptop screens??? There are a couple of smears which look distinctly food based - I'd like to go in with Mr Muscle and the pan scourer but surely there's a more subtle way forward?

We give the screen a careful wipe with the same duster as used for polishing the furniture. If there are sticky marks a light spray with the polish. So basically Mr Sheen and a soft duster. Never caused a problem yet.

Archived