BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Windows On Mac Pc's

Hi Guys

Im deciding on getting me a Mac for work purposes. However im not familiar with the Mac's OS as ive been familiar with Windows all my life.

Can one install Windows onto a mac, if so will it cause any problems?

Also if somebody can explain if its difficult to find ones way around the Mac OS.

Cheers

The Mac OS is simplicity itself and more intuitive - you'll wonder why you never switched earlier. The user guide that comes loaded when you power up your Mac is all you will need to get going

You can run Windows on any Intel-based Mac without any fuss but will find yourself only doing this if you have applications for which there is no Mac-equivalent - these are few and far between nowadays and I use my Mac for work and home without any problem.

I was the same as you - got my iMac in December last year and frankly if I could afford to replace all the PC's in the house I would. The OS is much less obtrusive than Vista or XP - it's just there , it works and it's quick. You'll pick it up fast. I got Office on the Mac which means I can move files between work and home if necessary. If you have a copy of Windows there are several ways of running it on a Mac - but I haven't needed to. The only problem if you install it on a Mac is the usual PC stuff like viruses.

• 3 weeks later...

Good news is that Windows 7 is coming out and it's much faster than Vista (noticeably). I pre-ordered mine for half price as that is the promotion going on right now but will be available in October 2009.

You can also run MacOS on your PC if you have the correct PC configuration, google mac osx86 for more information about how to do this and whether your computer is compatible or not.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd urge you to stick with the mac and OSX for a bit, it will be painful in the short term, you will get incredibly frustrated. Once you find your way around I'm confident that you wont go back to Windows - I dont know anyone who has. If you want to keep a windows pc running for a while I suggest running a windows virtual machine on your mac. I use VMWare fusion to run various MS operating systems on the mac.

Archived