BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sony Playstation PSN Hacked

If you have a Sony PlayStation you will likely have noticed that PSN has been down for several days. The network was hacked into and all personal information may have been taken including credit card information. If your username and password for PSN is the same as anything else you may want to change it and also keep a close eye on your credit card statements.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/26/update-on-playstation-network-and-qriocity/

Here's what Sony UK indicates was exposed:

* Name

* Shipping address

* Billing address

* Country

* E-mail address

* Birthdate

* PSN/Qriocity ID

* PSN/Qriocity password

* PSN/Qriocity security question and answer

* Purchase history

It's great that Sony took over 5 days to come clean about what has happened and they only did that because they were being publicly pressured by a senator in the US.

And this is the company that wants you to buy their shiny new ipad knock-off that's completely tied in to PSN.

I do like this though

SonyIsntGoodWithComputers.gif

Shame Sony didn't have adequate security in place! Yet they can spend millions chasing people who are trying to get functionality back on their PS3's that they bought it with and for.

I guess that's what you get for a free service.

(and yes I do have a PS3 before anyone thinks I'm an xbox fan boy)

Shame Sony didn't have adequate security in place! Yet they can spend millions chasing people who are trying to get functionality back on their PS3's that they bought it with and for.

I guess that's what you get for a free service.

(and yes I do have a PS3 before anyone thinks I'm an xbox fan boy)

Personally I think its unfair to blame Sony. It could have taken weeks if not months to get in. Sony are not the first company to be hacked (Visa was hacked not so long ago, as was play.com)

So you don't blame companies for not putting enough security in and losing your details. I would blame, Visa, play.com, Sony and anyone else that puts profits over better security.

And if someone had taken weeks or months to get in, where was the monitoring of the systems? That would have been a long sustained effort and should have been tracked down and stopped. We have all manner of monitoring on the DMZ where I work to make sure intrusion attempts are spotted. Granted hackers are getting smarter but still, it is indefensible.

Personally I think its unfair to blame Sony. It could have taken weeks if not months to get in. Sony are not the first company to be hacked (Visa was hacked not so long ago, as was play.com)

I think 100% correct to blame Sony they are probably the only multi-national stupid enough to keep passwords on servers. I doubt no one else does that.

The whole PS3 has been a joke, certainly the most powerful console of this generation but also the most under used.

Putting a Blu-Ray drive in it should have been the killer for Sony but it took them so long to drop the price that the 360 got a massive lead and then all multi platform games where written for the 360 and then ported over. FAIL!!!!

Don't get me started on GT5 what a mess that was on a massively delayed launch.

Yes I own 2 360's but I would loved have a PS3 as well. But there is bugger all on there to justify the purchase.

Sony IMHO were the biggest losers of the round of the console wars.

• Backroom

Well, well, well. After years of derision from PS owners about having to pay (a paltry sum) for Xbox Live all I can say, in the immortal laugh of Nelson Muntz is a massive HA! HA!

Wow what a horrible attitude to have.

Well, well, well. After years of derision from PS owners about having to pay (a paltry sum) for Xbox Live all I can say, in the immortal laugh of Nelson Muntz is a massive HA! HA!

I seem to recall XBL being down for 18 days a few years back when it was hacked..

And that sum you speak of, £40 a year will get you a brand new game in release day each year (and if you take into concideration the lifespan of the 360 it costs more than the ps3)

Sony have done the right thing by taking psn down and rebuilding. Those with psn+ will also be compensated (and id think free users will also)

I'm not sure thats true. I don't remember it ever being down that long. The normal maintenance windows yes, but like PSN thats to be expected. Plus I don't ever remember ever reading about fears over data or credit cards.

Just done a quick google search now and could only find a few unsubstantiated cliams that some accounts were having points stolen. Couldn't find anything bigger but I'm proabably not searching hard enough.

PSN due back online this week, with all users getting 30 days PSN+ AND free content. the store will continue to be offline for another month or so but at least we have online gaming!

Guest roverspogges

Where did you hear that dazmaz ?? If that's true I'm pretty happy with that as long as we keep the free ps+ content when it ends. I personally wanted a free copy of psone MGS but there you go.

Edit: It is true just found it on eurogamer.

eh? That doesn't make sense. Are you trying to say the xbox 360 / XBL is more basic than PS3 / PSN? And how is the PS3 more "modifiable"?

I'm saying that it has more potential for adaptability, there isn't much you can't do on it. I might be wrong (apologies if I am), but I didn't think you could install other OS's, homebrew etc on the 360? To all intents and purposes the PS3 can be run as a PC (not a bad thing at all, actually a good one), but it means it's as susceptible as PC's to intrusion.

But Sony removed the OtherOs features so its as locked down as the XBOX now. In the world Sony and Microsoft don't like you can still run homebrew and other stuff on both consoles with custom firmwares on PS3 and Jtag on xbox.

On the news of PSN that is great. I believe that the store is remaining down as Sony are making everyone recompile their programs to use the new keys in the 3.60 firmware. A wise move to try and combat the pirates (although I am reading that people are working hard and close to getting the new keys anyway!)

No, no one hacked the PS3 for game piracy etc when otherOS was on there. They did however start trying to access more of the hardware to be able to use more of the cells and graphics capabilities than Sony wanted and thus they pulled support via a firmware update. This @#/? off the people who quite rightly bought the PS3 for OtherOs and having a powerful PC like console with all that came with it and so started the real hacks.

Only then did this lead to 3.41 jailbreaks and the 3.55 custom firmwares that hit the wild due to the very clever @#/? off people who were trying to find ways to put back what they had been denied.

Where did you hear that dazmaz ?? If that's true I'm pretty happy with that as long as we keep the free ps+ content when it ends. I personally wanted a free copy of psone MGS but there you go.

Edit: It is true just found it on eurogamer.

The free content will be different from region to region, and it will be rolled out. I'd say SCEA will be first then whatever asia's sony goes bay with SCEE being last.. The free content is for everyone and would stay after the 30 days psn+

I'm not sure thats true. I don't remember it ever being down that long. The normal maintenance windows yes, but like PSN thats to be expected. Plus I don't ever remember ever reading about fears over data or credit cards.

Just done a quick google search now and could only find a few unsubstantiated cliams that some accounts were having points stolen. Couldn't find anything bigger but I'm proabably not searching hard enough.

Taken from

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/xbox-live-hacked-accounts-stolen/131

Online gaming forums are buzzing with reports that Xbox Live accounts linked to Microsoft's Windows Live ID service are being hijacked by malicious hackers.

Kevin Finisterre, a security researcher at Digital Munition, raised the issue on the Full Disclosure mailing list over the weekend, calling attention to rumors that Microsoft's Bungie.net was the victim of a breach that exposed a portion of Xbox Live.

"Some folks are having their Microsoft points stolen and or points purchased via their stolen gamer tag," Finisterre said.

A quick search of user forums at xbox.com and other gaming sites turned up multiple messages from Xbox Live users complaining about hijacked accounts, which typically link gamer tags to Windows Live ID (formerly .NET Passport).

Archived