BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Dublin visit - GAA

Ok so I´m going on vacation to Dublin soon and noticed that there are some GAA football games on at Croke Park this weekend. I was thinking to maybe go check it out. I know virtually nothing about the game other than I saw some of it on TV when I was in Ireland about 10 years ago. I remember little, only that I enjoyed it immensely. I think I can get tickets for either Saturday or Sunday and notice that these are quarter finals. I´m not sure but it seems that one ticket covers two games? Also, if anyone could give any input on the fixtures this weekend, anything I should particularly look out for?

Ta!

I'm a bit out of touch this season due to personal circumstances but I'm pretty sure there's a R4 and QF saturday and two QFs Sunday - tickets cover both and can be bought at the stadium though in the past we've bought then through the county board.

I prefer the football but the Mrs and her family are all into Hurling, brother-in-law is involved in the junior game in Antrim and a very good family friend is an Antrim All Star.

Tickets can be bought here Two cracking games on the Saturday (although I might be a little biased) We,(Donegal), are playing very well this time round and are playing some of the best football I've ever seen them play. Hopefully you would be able to watch Tyrone get hammered aswell :rover:

Lifford eh? Looks like Paris next to Strabane. I attended counsel in Strabane a few years ago. Unspeakably horrible place.

I live in County Down so I have no need ever to go to Tyrone. My Dad is from Armagh though so I have a genetic dislike for the place.

Ok so I´m going on vacation to Dublin soon and noticed that there are some GAA football games on at Croke Park this weekend. I was thinking to maybe go check it out. I know virtually nothing about the game other than I saw some of it on TV when I was in Ireland about 10 years ago. I remember little, only that I enjoyed it immensely. I think I can get tickets for either Saturday or Sunday and notice that these are quarter finals. I´m not sure but it seems that one ticket covers two games? Also, if anyone could give any input on the fixtures this weekend, anything I should particularly look out for?

Ta!

Tickets should not be a problem. There are are a number of games being played at Croke Park over the weekend, with a double header on Saturday, so you can see two games for the price of one. Because of the distance that some of the teams have to travel to get to Dublin, the stadium will be far from full. I'd go on Sunday. You would be able to see Cork, who are the All Ireland Champions play Mayo. You'd also see Kerry, who are considered the ambassadors of gaelic football and who've won more All Ireland titles than anyone else, play Limerick. Players to look out for on the Cork team are Michael Shields, Eoin Cadogan, Alan O'Connor, Aidan Walsh, Paddy Kelly, Paul Kerrigan and Donnacha O'Connor. Kerry's best players are Colm Cooper, Kieran Donaghy, Tomás Ó Sé, Darren O'Sullivan, Paul Galvin and the genius that is Declan O'Sullivan. Going to see football or hurling game in Croke Park is something I would encourage every visitor to Ireland to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I did and I loved it! Ended up going on the Sunday and had a great time. Thought we got a taste of what the atmosphere must be like in a full Croke Park during the Cork vs Mayo game. That game was clearly livelier than the first one, although we enjoyed them both.

What a great game, if only soccer was that exciting! Shame there was no hurling on, maybe next time!

Archived