BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] a tax question....or two

Question 1.....:huh: What percentage of income tax & national insurance does the average guy pay?

I`m asking this because i`m currently doing some agency work with my old employer & other agency guys i`m working with seem to be taking home more than me....even though we`re all on the same hourly rate.

The average weekly tax & NI taken out of my wage is between 27% & 28% depending on hours i`ve worked.

Question 2.....The tax code on my payslip just says 'BR'.....what does this mean? Basic Rate? :huh:

I`m kinda thinking because i was self employed last year, they`ve put me on a different rate of taxation.

Question 3.....If i am paying more than i should be, who do i contact to try & sort it?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated ;)

• 2 weeks later...

How did you get on, or do the wheels at HMRC turn just as slowly for "Joe Public" as they do for us poor souls who have to deal with them all the time?

After nearly an hour 'on hold' listening to some awful lounge-music, i got through to somebody. They are going to 'look into it'.

I asked for a time scale. He couldn`t give me one. I`m still awaiting the outcome.

Hopefully i`ll be entitled to a bit of dosh back, seeing as i`m taking home £30-£40 less than people on the same job & rate of pay as myself *fingers crossed*

I`ll let you know ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Have you stopped taxi ing

Yeah. More & more hours for less & less takings.

Add to that extortionate fuel prices & even more extortionate insurance prices.....there comes a tipping point when you realise it`s just not worth the hassle anymore.

Archived