BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] HD TV query

TV's just packed in and I was looking for some quick advice before I go looking for another one. The one that's just gone was a really good little HD job with inbuilt Freeview and strangely it worked better with the games on my PS3 than the big HD widescreen job in the front room.

Basically I was wondering if anybody might know why that might be? Watching Blu-rays through the PS3 on the big TV is as rewarding as one might expect but I've tried a number of games and the visuals are simply not as sharp as they are when I use the little TV that's just broken down (quite honestly I've tried Uncharted, Uncharted 3, God of War 3 and Killzone 2 and they are all significantly less impressive on the big Samsung). As far as I understand that shouldn't be the case. I want some idea of why so that I can make an informed decision when buying a replacement.

Cheers.

TV's just packed in and I was looking for some quick advice before I go looking for another one. The one that's just gone was a really good little HD job with inbuilt Freeview and strangely it worked better with the games on my PS3 than the big HD widescreen job in the front room.

Basically I was wondering if anybody might know why that might be? Watching Blu-rays through the PS3 on the big TV is as rewarding as one might expect but I've tried a number of games and the visuals are simply not as sharp as they are when I use the little TV that's just broken down (quite honestly I've tried Uncharted, Uncharted 3, God of War 3 and Killzone 2 and they are all significantly less impressive on the big Samsung). As far as I understand that shouldn't be the case. I want some idea of why so that I can make an informed decision when buying a replacement.

Cheers.

Have you adjusted your settings and calibrated the picture? Even top of the range tv's out of the box can look awful.

you should configure both tbh, chances are the ps3 is set up for the little tv and as the resolution on your bigger one is larger, the picture gets blown up. Add that to a slower frame rate and that could very well be your problem

I've bought a new telly (Toshiba HD Ready, like that last one). Unfortunately the visuals on this are quite shoddy for PS3 games being played through the HDMI. I've tried adjusting the display settings on the PS3 (the new TV is 720p at best) but still it's looking decidedly SD. My confusion stems from the fact that the picture was cracking on the last Toshiba (a relatively basic model) and on this it's just not as good.

Could this have anything to do with the TV being brand new?

Depending on where you got it from, the store might help you with this. They'd rather help you be happy with it than have to take it as a return.

I take it everything is correct at the PS3 end and it's outputting in 720p/1080i format?

Depending on where you got it from, the store might help you with this. They'd rather help you be happy with it than have to take it as a return.

I take it everything is correct at the PS3 end and it's outputting in 720p/1080i format?

I've altered the display settings on the PS3 from automatic (where 1080p is the default setting) to custom (unchecking all the boxes save for 720p to take account of both the TV and the game's preferred settings).

Archived