BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Manager and Coach

Okay, so we are hearing a lot that Venkys or Shebby or some mysterious person wants a coach, and not a manager.In my view, these have always been 2 totally different parts of the structure of a club in terms of overseeing a squad of players.

Im trying to get around this, as to why they insist on wanting a coach and not a manager and a coach. Is this another way of saving costs, by having somebody take training and being a motivator? In fact, ive looked at various countries, and different countries refer to the boss as a coach, and not a manager. In South Africa we have a coach, and then a General Manager. I think in the USA they also refer to it as a coach I think.

However, my understanding is that the manager is normally the one motivating the players, putting out the team on match day, doing the tactics and so forth, while the coach takes training and along with the fitness instructor keeps players healthy and in shape.

This has been the case in England since I started following Rovers, or at least from what I can remember is that there has always been a manager, assistant manager and coach

However, my understanding is that the manager is normally the one motivating the players, putting out the team on match day, doing the tactics and so forth, while the coach takes training and along with the fitness instructor keeps players healthy and in shape.

I think you've misunderstood slightly. The coach role you've described there is a regular coach, not a head coach.

Essentially it looks like we want someone to come in train the team, pick the tactics, and do all of that management side of stuff, but wouldn't have much (if any) involvment in transfers, contracts etc.

It's a more European style which can be successful, although it's rarely used over here. Spurs have used a watered down version of this in the past with Damien Comolli and it was quite successful (he basically hoovered up what he perceived to be the best young English talents). Newcastle have a similar thing going, almost all of Pardew's signings are given to him.

For me it's not a set-up that works very well in lower leagues, or even smaller clubs in top leagues. Even less chance of it happening with the guy above the head coach is Shebby Singh.

aah okay, perhaps i have misunderstood that Coach and Head Coach thing. Would it be that bad though, if Venkys kept Bowyer in charge on a rolling contract, and then brought in somebody like Sven in a similar role to what Comoli did at Spurs?

Im guessing that is the way Shebby wants to do it, but hopefully not with Shebby doing that job in dealing with transfers. In fact, it does look like that is already the way they are going imo

Okay, so we are hearing a lot that Venkys or Shebby or some mysterious person wants a coach, and not a manager.In my view, these have always been 2 totally different parts of the structure of a club in terms of overseeing a squad of players.

Im trying to get around this, as to why they insist on wanting a coach and not a manager and a coach. Is this another way of saving costs, by having somebody take training and being a motivator? In fact, ive looked at various countries, and different countries refer to the boss as a coach, and not a manager. In South Africa we have a coach, and then a General Manager. I think in the USA they also refer to it as a coach I think.

This has been the case in England since I started following Rovers, or at least from what I can remember is that there has always been a manager, assistant manager and coach

You're on the right lines. But a little late.

After Berg was let go, the club looked at having a series of coaches which would be responsible for specific areas of training and matches. Somebody would've been head coach - But wouldn't have been given the 'Manager' title.

Anyway, it was all deemed unworkable, and then scrapped.

MG

Im guessing that is the way Shebby wants to do it, but hopefully not with Shebby doing that job in dealing with transfers. In fact, it does look like that is already the way they are going imo

Shebby did suggest it. The family shot it down.

Even less chance of it happening with the guy above the head coach is Shebby Singh.

Yeah that's the main thing really. Having a setup like this allows the head coach to focus entirely on training, tactics, motivation etc. to a much greater degree than if he also was heavily involved in the transfer side of things. The key thing in any General Manager/Director of Football setup however is that head coach and GM/DoF are both singing from the same hymn sheet. They need to have similar views on football and how it should be played, and they need a good working relationship. Such a setup can work, but not with Venky's and Shebby Singh.

It's also not always a clear cut difference between a DoF + Head Coach setup and a Manager + Assistant Manager. Some managers leave very little for their assistant, taking training themselves etc and leaving their assistant as a glorified coach. Others take on only a slightly wider range of responsibilities than a DoF would. Some are virtually co-managers with their assistants.

I believe a fairly wide range of setups can work; the key is to utilize the strengths and minimize the weaknesses of the people involved, and to clearly lay out who does what. As long as you do that, and the people involved have a good working relationship, then you can divide responsibilities any way you like.

I think Venky's like the idea of a continental approach, with a head coach or "trainer" overseeing the daily running of the side but the major footballing decisions being made by the people at the top. It would certainly appeal to Balaji's ego.

Or is that giving them too much credit?

MGs answer on this thread is reason enough for Shebby to get the bullet first ahead Agnew and Shaw.

What a prize keaner.

Anyone aware we probably need promotion this season to avoid total melt down?

Well in his rampant self-serving egoism, Shebby isn't....

But how much has a DOF actually been a success? Imagine Sir Alex or Mourino have somebody tell them who they have to play, or that they have no control over who is signed? I just don't understand it, as you either have full control of everything, or you don't take on the job .

Archived