BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Special Report: Racism in Football - Sky Sports News investigates

folkdevil

Trouble is the things in South Africa haven't really improved much. The majority on the Black population live in relative poverty, whilst a small number have become very wealthy. The gap between rich and poor is now greater than it was under apartheid, a system designed to keep most of the population poor. I'm afraid much of the New SA is not a great example of anything, let alone multi culturalism.

Get away!..... You do surprise me. Pretty much like it was before white rule then?

Sorry but after the examples set by Uganda, Rhodesia etc only a fool would expect an improvement. Funny how we have to become multicultural and accept all manner of settlers yet African countries are 'celebrated' in many quarters for doing the reverse and kicking them out. Still what do I know I'm the wrong side of 50 remember.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are you talking about? How exactly does one measure how multi cultural a society is, and I'm especially curious about how you brand them as "succesfull" or not?

What am I talking about? Thought it was fairly clear. Multi Culturalism isn't really just about different races living alongside each other. There are a whole host of definitions and interpretations but the one I prefer goes along the lines of "several different cultures (rather than one national culture) can coexist peacefully and equitably in a single country". I'm not sure the slaves in Egypt or indeed the Egyptians would say it was an equitable, fair and peaceful co existence.

As for how do you define them as a success, well again are they co existing alongside each other, peacefully and equitably.

Having said all that I guess the biggest real problem is one of cultural relativism but I'm not sure that is a can of worms we should open on a football message board.

What am I talking about? Thought it was fairly clear. Multi Culturalism isn't really just about different races living alongside each other. There are a whole host of definitions and interpretations but the one I prefer goes along the lines of "several different cultures (rather than one national culture) can coexist peacefully and equitably in a single country". I'm not sure the slaves in Egypt or indeed the Egyptians would say it was an equitable, fair and peaceful co existence.

As for how do you define them as a success, well again are they co existing alongside each other, peacefully and equitably.

Having said all that I guess the biggest real problem is one of cultural relativism but I'm not sure that is a can of worms we should open on a football message board.

Your'e not making sense as your argument rests on a conception of populations belonging to distinct national cultures, living in different parts of the worlds and sometimes slamming in to eachother like pieces from different puzzles. It's a logical fallacy since the concept of a population's national culture" doesn't exist. What exactly is a national culture? Where do the lines go between them? How do you know which one you're a part of? Who decides, and on what grounds? It's a classic case of to the false idea that we have just now uprooted a working status quo, and that things will be great again once we go back to how it was when in reality populations and cultures are in constant flux and always have been.

Archived