BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Raspberry Pi

Picked up a raspberry Pi 2 play with. Got the basics, so bought a Bluetooth controller thinking it'll be a breeze.

Fast forward 48 hours of turioals and sudo apt install nightmares and here I am, asking the techies of BRFCS. Can anyone help?

I got myself a Pi 3 running Retropie so I wish I could help you, but my brother in law installed it all for me. Unfortunately the only thing I know how to do is transfer new game roms onto it using FTP. Didn't even know what FTP was until then.

What exactly are you trying to do?

Picked up a raspberry Pi 2 play with. Got the basics, so bought a Bluetooth controller thinking it'll be a breeze.

Fast forward 48 hours of turioals and sudo apt install nightmares and here I am, asking the techies of BRFCS. Can anyone help?

I'm trying to pair the Bluetooth remote to the raspberry Pi so I can use the remote to control the Pi.

the remote I've bought seems to come in three parts - the physical remote, a tiny usb (which I assume is a receiver and plugs into the Pi?) and a cable which charges the remote.

From research it seems I have to enable Bluetooth on the raspberry via SSH on my Mac, however whenever I try this I can't find a working script to enable Bluetooth and pair the remote.

Going off the OSMC guide here https://osmc.tv/wiki/general/connecting-a-bluetooth-device/

It looks like the bluetooth stack is built into the OS and as such should just appear in the GUI but only if you have a supported bluetooth dongle. Doesn't give you much clue as to what is supported apart from linking to one to buy from them.

Wonder if this helps at all? https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/enabling-bluetooth/711

Going off the OSMC guide here https://osmc.tv/wiki/general/connecting-a-bluetooth-device/

It looks like the bluetooth stack is built into the OS and as such should just appear in the GUI but only if you have a supported bluetooth dongle. Doesn't give you much clue as to what is supported apart from linking to one to buy from them.

Wonder if this helps at all? https://discourse.osmc.tv/t/enabling-bluetooth/711

Cheers. I'll do some further research.

Posted on their forum. Seems it's an incredibly basic fix and I was thinking way too much about it. Now feel like a total pleb, so deleting my account and doing enough research to become competent.

• 1 month later...

Not really, though you could run Kodi on it. but It's probably not got the power to transcode properly (which you need if your films are in a format your firestick can't play).

Essentially, they are just stupidly cheap, low end computers that don't run windows. I've got one acting as a Sonos style remote audio player in my sons room (handy for playing metallica lullabies to get him to sleep), one acting as a Plex Client (similar to a fire stick) in my bedroom and one that's running off a mobile phone charging brick and running as a portable infosec penetration testing device. At work we have them hooked up running google chrome to display loads of information dashboards on big TVs. They're very versatile.

It's not what you can do with them that's impressive, it's that fact that something that previously needed a cheap low end PC (say £300) to do, can now be done for £25, so they are getting used everywhere, in cheap little home projects.

Posted on their forum. Seems it's an incredibly basic fix and I was thinking way too much about it. Now feel like a total pleb, so deleting my account and doing enough research to become competent.

I've been a serious IT geek with specializations in many areas, since the 80s .... and I still get that feeling about once a week. Learn to embrace it. :)

Archived