BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Who Owns Football?

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

To clarify: I would have no problem being a football whore following Rovers in the PL

And so would most Rovers fans and those fans of other lower league clubs imho in a hearbeat.

May not be nice or PC correct but it is reality.

Yeah, I got that but I think the point you made has a wider context.

I do think though that in the current climate, fans lose something of their club when the get into the PL. I bet we all know people who are suddenly Burnley fans now they are up there.

The worst thing the PL did was create the football tourist.

Just now, Stuart said:

I do think though that in the current climate, fans lose something of their club when the get into the PL. I bet we all know people who are suddenly Burnley fans now they are up there.

Not sure I've come across 'new' Burnley fans, but certainly at work I've spoke to numerous folk that have said things on the lines of 'Rovers? Yeah I used to go to a few of your matches when you were in the Premier League'

Just now, Mattyblue said:

Not sure I've come across 'new' Burnley fans, but certainly at work I've spoke to numerous folk that have said things on the lines of 'Rovers? Yeah I used to go to a few of your matches when you were in the Premier League'

The word that sticks out is 'your'. I just find it bizarre that people can just watch any old match. Where is the pride, the passion, the affinity, the sense of local representation? I guess when players aren't local it might be easier to see the team as not representative any more. You can lose that identity.

But I guess that's exactly what the PL want: fans who migrate to their 20 teams each season. Who will buy a season ticket at Burnley so that they can be part of that brand and watch those teams - even if Burnley lose. It kind of mirrors the lack of loyalty of players but fans don't get a transfer fee. Maybe some of them have relegation clauses in their rolling renewal contracts and they think they can leave on a free (conscience).

It's no wonder grounds are like morgues/libraries these days. It's a customer community and not a fanbase - aside from a minority of a few thousand die-hards. They have no right to complain about lack of atmosphere and empty seats when they have created this culture. The 70s and 80s were bad times from a fan culture perspective but, like everything, the pendulum has swung to far the other way.

6 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Yes understand.

I was in Bkk yesterday and saw a couple of locals walking in Sukhumvit wearing Huddersfield colours. The probably saw the playoff final on tv here.

They used to be Rovers shirts.

If we were PL I would care little how many plastics we had.

1 hour ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Yes understand.

I was in Bkk yesterday and saw a couple of locals walking in Sukhumvit wearing Huddersfield colours. The probably saw the playoff final on tv here.

I know what you mean, and success will bring that. But I can see why diehards would resent them.

If these people who jumped on the bandwagon stick around throughout the bad times, we would be a poor man's Man City (pre-Frank) or a Leeds. It means fans are ripe to be exploited (tickets and matchday prices) but it could well carry us through. Instead when times are tough these people disappear: "Cheers for the cheap tickets but you're on your own now lads". (Not to be confused with the genuine NAPM guys who I have great respect for).

2 hours ago, AllRoverAsia said:

Yes understand.

Irish bar in sulhumvit possibly 3/4 has a rovers flag and pendant hanging up 

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

What is bar name? I will pop in for a gander, may be a Rovers fan about. So many bars and so many that claim to be Irish bars.

Near the suit shop and the BTS stop il dig out some old photos and look for the name 

Archived