BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pc Upgrade

I am currently thinking of upgrading my PC as its starting to strugle with the newer games at any remotely decent graphics settings.

I have a Geforce 5700 256mb graphics card

750mb memory

and a AMD 3600+ chip (I think)

I dont believe I have a PCI - express socket

Would upgrading to 1 gb memory and a new graphics card do.

I have about £400 to play with, but if I can get away with something cheaper that would be nice.

Anyone got any recomendations?

I am currently thinking of upgrading my PC as its starting to strugle with the newer games at any remotely decent graphics settings.

I have a Geforce 5700 256mb graphics card

750mb memory

and a AMD 3600+ chip (I think)

I dont believe I have a PCI - express socket

Would upgrading to 1 gb memory and a new graphics card do.

I have about £400 to play with, but if I can get away with something cheaper that would be nice.

Anyone got any recomendations?

363923[/snapback]

Its struggling on a spec like that?!

Are you being sarcastic?

BF2 is low res on most things cant have many of teh details on -

im not sure about the processor being a 3600+ it might be a 2700+ really cant remember

I tell a lie its a Athalon XP 2600+ Socket A chip

Thinking about it - I might pop into the shop round the corner who do these things and see what they recommend as I really dont know whether Im competent to change the chip and doing the Bios for it. Anyone think getting a new graphics card in the interim is a good idea?

Flopsy, im not expert in these matter (far from it) but I think upgrading your processor isn't really necessary. A pal of mine has stuck a 1 gig stick in his PC, and he claims BF2 flies, even on high settings.

Doing that (about 80-100 quid) and sticking a new graphics card - something like a 6600 or 6800 GT or Radeon X800 should be more than good enought for you.

Over to you, Glenn........

P.S. no wasnt being sarcastic

363943[/snapback]

its alright I was being silly - oh well back to the burburry

I think unless i hear otehrwise that I'll try and get a gig of ram and a new Graphics Card - should be about £200 and I can then spend another £250 on a new mobo and chip as and when I need it.

Whats a good AGP card to get for around £150?

the 5700LE ive got is alright but its nowt special (but better than the MX440 I used to have wink.gif )

Have you considered getting a console instead? Your £400 of new bits will only buy you another 12-18 months of high-end PC gaming.

363954[/snapback]

MK, ive said that to myself so many times, and then ive'e seen the lastest PC game such as Medal of Honour, Call of Duty or Champ Manager and my resolve has weakened!

I doubt a hardened BF2 fan such as Flopsy will be heeding your advice........ cool.gif

Have you considered getting a console instead? Your £400 of new bits will only buy you another 12-18 months of high-end PC gaming.

363954[/snapback]

yeah but PC games are better

BF2, CoD 2

All better on PC, plus I can carry on upgrading, however the Consoles cant be upgraded very much (im guessing)

when the software for teh 64bit chips is produced and SLI graphics cards are working correctly im guessing they will completely destroy the consoles. But its horses for courses I have a PS2 and I dont play it - I play lots on the pc

when the software for teh 64bit chips is produced and SLI graphics cards are working correctly im guessing they will completely destroy the consoles.

363958[/snapback]

Although you'll then have to buy a PCI-E motherboard, new processor, new SLI graphics car, probably new memory, possibly a new power supply if the current one is not up to it, Windows XP 64-bit version etc etc etc.

All that at probably double the cost of the new PS3 (whenever that comes out).

Edited by Biddy

Annual upgrades to keep your PC gamesworthy, plus a £1,500+ one-off every few years whenever there's a new tech that won't fit in your setup... I work in the games business but there's no way I'd spend that kind of money on such a short-lived piece of home entertainment.

For the price of a high-end graphics card, you could probably get yourself an Xbox 360 plus a DS with Nintendogs for the missus.

Not Pukka by any chance ? (The only sommerset developers I know smile.gif ).

364227[/snapback]

Ahh, no - not games development. I'm on the periphery, ie criticising other people's hard work in games magazines ph34r.gif

Hence not enough money to build a PC...

You made sure it was the same type of ram right?

364335[/snapback]

I endeavoured too.

I did a crucial search - nad I remember that I have 2100 type ram (i hope) so i got a gig of that. What I intend to do - is to remove the existing ram - put hte gig in and check that theya re the same frequency. If not I can always send it back and order the right stuff

Ahh, no - not games development. I'm on the periphery, ie criticising other people's hard work in games magazines  ph34r.gif

Hence not enough money to build a PC...

364336[/snapback]

In that case, aren't Future based down that way?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.