BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Ie7

I'd rather eat my own balls than use IE. It's only been a matter of hours since the release and security researchers have already found a content disclosure vulnerability.

It's the same flaw that affected IE 6, and that was reported to Microsoft over 6 months ago. Nice to know they didn't even bother fixing it before releasing the latest version. It's not critical, but it really should've been sorted.

Details can be found here and a test/demo can be found here.

Realistically it's an improvement if only because it SEEMS to be a bit less of a resource hog than multiple IE windows, and tabbed browsing is always nice.

Still, it has a direct line to the kernel and therefore will always be inherently insecure. Use Opera, Firefox, or, if you're old and crotchety, Lynx, and you'll be better off.

I use the Maxthon browser since I had issues with the Firefox browser. Based on IE but is open source and has the tabbed features and seems secure enough, although not sure how much more or less than IE, Firefox and Opera.

I'd rather eat my own balls than use IE. It's only been a matter of hours since the release and security researchers have already found a content disclosure vulnerability.

It's the same flaw that affected IE 6, and that was reported to Microsoft over 6 months ago. Nice to know they didn't even bother fixing it before releasing the latest version. It's not critical, but it really should've been sorted.

Details can be found here and a test/demo can be found here.

Thats why i dont like IE and firefox for the win :)

Thats why i dont like IE and firefox for the win :)

I was reading an article the other day which mentioned Firefox and Opera both had similar large holes in them. Funnily enough, they don't get highlighted as much as MS failings. (I use firefox!)

Edited by Biddy

It's true, vulnerabilities found in Microsoft's browser attract far more coverage than those that are found in any of the alternatives, but there's a very simple reason for that. IE is used by approximately 83% of all internet users - therefore exposing an obscene amount of people to, potentially, pretty serious security threats when a flaw is found - as opposed to the comparatively small user base held by Firefox (approx 12%) and Opera (approx 0.69%). As long as IE continues to dominate the browser market, it will always be the number one target for for malcode and exploits.

BTW, for those of you that do use Firefox, make sure you get the NoScript extension installed. It negates all executable content until you specifically allow it, making Firefox even more secure than it already is.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.