BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Pc Probem

Hi all

Looking for help to restore my damaged PC (Windows XP Pro). I am having a problem getting my PC to boot up correctly - it is failing as it is loading up the login screen and flashes up a blue screen stating that there was a login error before automatically rebooting. The same sequence then continues.

I can load the computer up in safe mode but am not sure what I can do to help solve the issue. Any ideas?

Many thanks

My mate had the problem and I went round and it turned out to be a virus that was doing it.

So, first thing is to run a full virus check in safe mode (making sure you have turned off system restore first) Next run your spy ware programme in case one of those nasty bods are causing you trouble.

If you can get it to stay up long enough you might want to try and get it to run a check disk. Open up a command prompt and type chkdsk e: /f - (I am using e: as your disk but you might have a different name) it will ask you if you want to reboot and when you do it should check the disk.

Saying this though if you still have the same problem you might need the windows xp recovery disk that should fix what is broken - If not then aside a fresh install I dont know what else to suggest?

Thanks Cocker.

Ok... here are the results:

Anti virus - Avast - unknown error scan failed

Ad Aware - No problems found

Spybot S&D - No problems found

Checkdisk worked ok - no problems found

Mysteriously the computer then started up but I could still not run Avast so I tried to install BitDefender. No sucess - instead the computer decides to shut itself down stating that "remote procedure call(rpc) service terminated unexpectedly". I know that there was a worm which effected windows XP SP1 but I have SP2 and auto update set on so I wonder whether this is something different. Any thoughts?

Many thanks

Thanks Cocker.

Ok... here are the results:

Anti virus - Avast - unknown error scan failed

Ad Aware - No problems found

Spybot S&D - No problems found

Checkdisk worked ok - no problems found

Mysteriously the computer then started up but I could still not run Avast so I tried to install BitDefender. No sucess - instead the computer decides to shut itself down stating that "remote procedure call(rpc) service terminated unexpectedly". I know that there was a worm which effected windows XP SP1 but I have SP2 and auto update set on so I wonder whether this is something different. Any thoughts?

Many thanks

There was a virus a while back who's first job was to disable the anti virus programme from working. I dont know what your time scale is before it reboots but if you can get AVG on it and run it you might get it removed.

Other than that, did you try the windows xp recovery disk?

I had a similer problem... Also managed to get rid of it myself by downloading a program, but its a self replicating virus. e.g. you remove it and it copies itself whilst your cleaning it off the pc. Then the more times you restart your pc, the more the virus develops and unfolds all its grubby faults.

Id recomend finding yourself a reliable pc shop and asking to have it cleaned without whiping your internet settings and messanger addresses. Ask them to take special attention of 'internet cookies' which is where i understand this virus hides.

On xp having your pc cleaned shouldnt cost anymore than £15.

Advice id give is if you have pics/vids/music you want to keep, create 2 yahoo accounts. upload those files onto an email on 1 and send to the other. Yahoo has very good virus protection, so there is no risk to your newly cleaned pc when you download your old files back onto the cleaned pc.

Hope this helps.... Tom :brfc:

'West Sussex Rover' date='Jan 10 2007, 00:19 ' post='476801']

I had a similer problem... Also managed to get rid of it myself by downloading a program, but its a self replicating virus. e.g. you remove it and it copies itself whilst your cleaning it off the pc. Then the more times you restart your pc, the more the virus develops and unfolds all its grubby faults

Thats why I said above that he should be in safe mode and have system restore turned off.

Hmm, I seem to have sucessfully removed the vrus using the AVG virus checker in Safe Mode but now have a different problem:

XP refuses to load up on the basis that it is unable to find winsrv.dll. I have tried rebuilding bootcfg in recovery mode but with no sucess. Any ideas how to get round this problem or shall I call it quits and carry my PC off to a repair shop?

Cheers in advance

Hmm, I seem to have sucessfully removed the vrus using the AVG virus checker in Safe Mode but now have a different problem:

XP refuses to load up on the basis that it is unable to find winsrv.dll. I have tried rebuilding bootcfg in recovery mode but with no sucess. Any ideas how to get round this problem or shall I call it quits and carry my PC off to a repair shop?

Cheers in advance

Did it come up with a message saying something along the lines of 'removing these files might effect/impact the running of your pc'?

Id say its always worth getting your pc checked as the longer you have it turned on, not knowing whats going on, the more your pc might be getting damaged... :tu:

With all the problems you're having I would just wipe the disk clean and start afresh. No doubt at this point you would have wasted more time trying to fix the stupid thing than you would have reinstalling. Unless you're not well-versed in the installation process.

My intuition with your current problem would be to downloadwinsrv.dll and place it where it isn't (either the system32 or the i386 folders or both) and see what happens. It could be horribly wrong advice though, so I wipe my hands clean by saying you should wait on someone in the know before attempting anything like that. :P

Good luck with your problem.

Do you mean you ran the xp repair? If you dont know how to do this, THIS should help you. Hopefully it will se the missing file and replace it.

After this I am out and as said above a full rebuild may be required.

Thanks for all your help guys. I have now completed repairing XP as Cocker suggested. This has solved the problem of windows logging but unfortunately has left me without access to my second hard drive (the one where I keep everything other than windows!!!).

Have spent far too much time trying to figure out what is wrong with the machine so I have bitten the bullet and packed the computer off to the proffesionals. Hopefully they will be able to sort it out.

I'll let you know what the outcome is when it is all sorted out!

Hi I need help and so does my computer.

Was trying to watch some videos on myspace and I get a message saying you either have Javescript turned off (which I have not) or an old version of Micromedia's Flash Player and I get an option to download the latest falsh player through this link. http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/do...=ShockwaveFlash

When I click on Download now it goes onto the next screen which says 'When you see the installation completion movie above and text below, your installation was successful. The installation should only take a minute or two on a 56k modem'. I wait for ages and nothing happens and the videos still wont work. Now I went through the help bit which advised me to uninstall something, but I cannot remeber what' and now I cannot view pictures all I get is a little symbol in the top left corner.

Can anyone help with this??

Sounds like either:-

1. The install didnt work properly and niceley messed up your current install.

2. It wasnt a media player and was some dodgy programme/virus

So, what I would do is :-

Goto Add/Remove programmes and remove anything relating to shockwave player (plus anything that looks dodgy)

Reboot the machine in safe mode and run your virus check (doubt it will find anything but you need to be sure)

Go and download the player again - Click (The little picture in the corner of your screen will be because it cant find the media player)

Hope this helps :tu:

Archived