BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Annoying Pop-up

Not strictly a pop-up but a reminder from an Anti-virus programme I used to use. The "your subscription has expired" reminder appears rpeatedly, software has been deleted etc. How do I get rid of this reminder. I can't find it anywhere.

It sounds like when you uninstalled it that it has probably left something in the registry.

Although I do not recommed going through the registry if you are not used to it - this is where I think the problem will be - BE VERY CAREFUL IN THERE - as you can mess the whole machine up.

What anti virus programme was it? It might be worth just searching files/folders for its name and seeing if it finds anything?

Also try checking out the companies website - sometimes, they include programs that totally remove anything from thier older versions.

In particular, I know that Symantec have lots of programs to remove Norton from computers. Possibly the best thing anyone can do to thier computer is to remove this godawful excuse for a program.

In my opinion, a kitten sat on your modem would do a better job than Norton, and probably wouldnt do as much damage to it even if it weed on it...

Also have a crack at dowloading a trial version of System Mechanic - it has a "registry cleanup" function that will get rid of any registry entries that don't have an installed program associated with it. Safer than meddling with the registry manually.

Go to www.iolo.com to download a trial version.

Also have a crack at dowloading a trial version of System Mechanic - it has a "registry cleanup" function that will get rid of any registry entries that don't have an installed program associated with it. Safer than meddling with the registry manually.

Go to www.iolo.com to download a trial version.

Or try CCleaner which is free.

Was it Symantec/Norton Antivirus that you had installed? If it is I just wondering if you have uninstalled the LiveUpdate software too.

It's EZ Antivirus from Computer Associates. It was put on by a PC repair shop I use. Presumably they like it, I don't. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have a go now and report back.

Ah, yes - EZ antivirus is well liked in most of the industry. It ain't bad but I still can't fault AVG.

If I remember, EZ used to do a firewall from zonelabs in with a package too. I used to have it probably about three years ago - I worked at 2BR for a bit and the bloke who did the computers swore by it.

Have you tried the computer associates website? They make the software and may have a program to delete the correct entries...

Thanks for the link Cocker, only just seen it this morning. Unfortunatley it won't let me in. I've tried logging in as Guest and get nowhere, so I went to http://crm.my-etrust.com/ and registered but even after doing that I can't log in. I'm happy to edit the registry with instructions, done it a few times now.

I've learnt one thing from this, NEVER buy any software from Computer Associates unless you want annoying subscription reminders every ten minutes. These people are awful.

Thats very strange, when I found it the other day it let me in with no login. Its a massive shame because within the link was a really good step by step guide complete with the pictures that you should have on screen (the main reason why I didnt copy and paste the text)

I will try and find something else

EDIT - This isnt as good as the previous link but hopefully they know what they are talking about - click

Let me know if you dont get anywhere and I will try the previous link again - I was logged in through my work PC last time and will try again tomorrow when I am back in

Cheers

Cheers. Just tried the original link again and it let me log in as Guest. Looks like the answer to me, and I'm happy to edit the Registry with these type of instructions. Done it before on a very slow, step by step basis.

Instructions printed off so I'll give it a go when I get home.

Archived