BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Hughes' Net Expenditure On Players?

"...Except for a foreign surname, Hughes has everything a modern manager needs. He radiates calm, certainty and authority, he believes he is a Special One but is secure enough in his own skin not to prattle on about it at every opportunity, and he has a hushed menace that enables him to control a dressing room...He can also pick a player, as Ryan Nelsen and Bentley in particular prove, and in under three years, he has turned relegation scrappers into an up-and-coming mid-table side with a net expenditure of just £6.1m*..."

*In this age of undisclosed fees this is not an official figure, but based on newspaper reports of transfers when they happened

Is this an accurate assessment from the Guardian article entitled: 'Premiership preview No4: Blackburn Rovers' dated 31st July 2007? http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/sport/2007/07/...no4_blackb.html

If so, how does the said net expenditure compare with the Souness reign?

Apologies if this subject has already been explored.

Thecomebackid, I had been wondering the same thing the other day and I did a post on the Mark Hughes thread. I came up with £6.25 million; and, as some pointed out, I was off £500,000 on Bentley.

It's really quite incredible; I can't think of a side in the Premiership that's gotten greater value for money over the past two and a half years than Rovers. Perhaps West Ham and Man City and others have strengthened this offseason, but imagine what their squads would look like if they spent only £6.25 million net... it just shows what a shrewd manager Mark Hughes is.

i think reading that assessment and then saying 11th prediction is rather contradictory

That prediction is an average of all the writers there. The guy who wrote that article most likely had us higher than that, but some of the others obviously didn't, hence the 11th average.

Nice work Philly Rover; that must have taken you some time to research! I'd be surprised if we we shelled out the full 2.2 million up front on Dunn given his injury record, though I stand to be corrected. Regarding my second point, (in respect of how the net expenditure under Hughes compares with that of the Souness regime) I guess the negative effect of some of Souness' poorer signings (Grabbi, Amoruso etc...) was mitigated by the 'windfall' sales of Duff, Dunn & Taylor. In that respect it would be interesting to compare the amount Souness spent net relative to Hughes & I guess as a corollary Rovers' net expenditure on players over this period.

Thecomebackid, I had been wondering the same thing the other day and I did a post on the Mark Hughes thread. I came up with £6.25 million; and, as some pointed out, I was off £500,000 on Bentley.

It's really quite incredible; I can't think of a side in the Premiership that's gotten greater value for money over the past two and a half years than Rovers. Perhaps West Ham and Man City and others have strengthened this offseason, but imagine what their squads would look like if they spent only £6.25 million net... it just shows what a shrewd manager Mark Hughes is.

Nice work Philly Rover; that must have taken you some time to research! I'd be surprised if we we shelled out the full 2.2 million up front on Dunn given his injury record, though I stand to be corrected. Regarding my second point, (in respect of how the net expenditure under Hughes compares with that of the Souness regime) I guess the negative effect of some of Souness' poorer signings (Grabbi, Amoruso etc...) was mitigated by the 'windfall' sales of Duff, Dunn & Taylor. In that respect it would be interesting to compare the amount Souness spent net relative to Hughes & I guess as a corollary Rovers' net expenditure on players over this period.

Its funny reading some of those comments at how little some people have seen us play, some people still havent got over the bully boys tag and blatantly haven't seen us play at all and go off media talk, and others describing Tugay as an average passer, eee ya gotta laugh

• 4 weeks later...

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2160329,00.html

The Guardian eulogising (almost) what Rovers are achieving at Ewood Park.

This summer has, in my book, been a remarkable achievement:

- Nonda and Jeffers replaced by Santa Cruz and Rigters

- The club has resisted doing anything which would damage the wage structure in letting West Ham take Bellamy

- All the club's key players are still at Ewood sending out a clear message that any club targeting a Rovers player had better be ready to pay big, very big, and even then might not succeed. Rovers knocking back Fulham even when they offered the asking price for Roberts is the first time I have ever known the club to do that.

- Picking up several hundred thousand each for Todd and Jeffers means that this summer's outlay was probably under £3m net and Hughes' overall spending under £10m to assemble what might well be a CL place challenging squad.

I may be wrong, but I think the estimates of Sparky's net spending may be exaggerated even at the modest sums mentioned above.

I don't have the figures in front of me to back it up but my rough recollection was that he had a nil net transfer spend prior to this transfer window when he spent 3.3 - 3.8m on Santa Cruz depending on which figure you believe.

We also clawed back around a million for Todd and Jeffers which should have comfortably been enough to cover the purchases of Rigters and the new keeper (550k?)

Net spend this summer (and overall over three seasons) as little as 2.85m?

Archived