BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Top 7 Of All Time Cup Worst Defeats

If I remember rightly we drew 3-3! I think we where 3-1 down with 10 mins to go and either Yorke or Cole get the equaliser in injury time.

Pretty damned close there Blakey, better memory than me. I've looked it up : 3-1 down at home with 17 mins left, Cole made it 3-2 then 3-3 courtesy of Yorke in injury time. Flitty's second (in the 2-2 replay) was right in front of us and was just about the last kick of the 90 mins.

then we stuffed liverpool the following weekend, correct?

Correct. Rovers 3, Liverpool 0. Home game November 3rd 1996. First win of the season. Chris Sutton with 2 goals, 1 a penalty and 1 from Jason Wilcox

Got a feeling that the game after the Stockport debacle was away at West Ham - a 2-1 defeat in Tony's first game in charge after Ray left. The Liverpool game was the following weekend.

Don't remember that one but the shock around the town after the Cup defeat by lowly Oxford United two years later sticks in the memory.

I was playing at the time of the Oxford v Rovers game, we used to kick off at 2.30. in those days, afterwards was a quick shower and a leap onto the bus into town ( no mobile phones or radios then). The bus always stopped outside a T.V. rental shop so we used to jump off and watch the scores come in on the teleprinter on the televisions in the window. I couldn't believe my eyes when the score came through, I was convinced it was a mistake. That year was the year our name should have been on the cup.

As I remember, drew at Ewood (0-0 I think), replay at the SoL. A rather chilly evening (par for a Sunderland game I suppose?), 2-2 aet with Flitty scoring right at the death (of normal time I think). Woeful with the pens - think we missed all three - I remember Cole missing - while Sund scored all theirs. Wasn't THAT bad, at least it went to pens and the game was fairly even, unlike Sat.

I think it was the fact that Sunderland were so poor generally that year and still managed to oust from the cup and do the league double over us which made it so unpleasant. Gavin McCann stomping all over the elderly couple of Tugay and Flitcroft...

But agree, not the worst, by a long way.

Correct. Rovers 3, Liverpool 0. Home game November 3rd 1996. First win of the season. Chris Sutton with 2 goals, 1 a penalty and 1 from Jason Wilcox

Did we not loose 2-1 to West Ham in Parkes first game? I'm sure Liverpool was second.

Archived