BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Xbox Live Wireless Question

I havent been on Xbox live in a while, namely because my xbox is too far away from my router - so obviously a wireless adapter is on the agenda.

Questions is, do I have to shell out the business end of 60 quid for an "XBOX" wireless adapter? I thought I should be able to buy a standard USB wireless adapter and connect that way.

Another example of Microsoft bleeding more money money out of me to play games I suspect. :angry2: Bloody Pirates.

Thanks in advance.

(This was brought about by a review of Burnout Paradise I just read - any good?)

You will have to buy the microsoft adapter. If you plug in a usb adapter the xbox will sort of recognise it, but it won't be able to connect. I'm sure if you are really good with your tech stuff there is probably a way to fix it, but I have no idea what this would involve. Just buy the adapter, it seems like a bit of a waste of money, but it really transforms the console and is well worth it.

You could get a wireless ethernet bridge if you want to save a few quid.

Actually, I just looked on Ebay and there are Xbox USB adapters going for £30, so it's not that much of a saving anyway. But a wireless bridge is more versatile, as you can use it with any other console or computer that has an ethernet port.

It's a tad pricey but the wireless add on is well worth it. I use it more for streaming stuff from my laptop than I do for Live, it's so much easier than having to fiddle around with LAN cables and ipod bits. I don't think you'll get a non-MS adapter to work, I tried my Logitech camera with no joy as I don't wanna shell out for the MS camera either!

And if Burnout Paradise is just half as good as Burnout Revenge was I'd still buy it, bloody awesome fun, great party game.

I havent been on Xbox live in a while, namely because my xbox is too far away from my router - so obviously a wireless adapter is on the agenda.

Questions is, do I have to shell out the business end of 60 quid for an "XBOX" wireless adapter? I thought I should be able to buy a standard USB wireless adapter and connect that way.

Another example of Microsoft bleeding more money money out of me to play games I suspect. :angry2: Bloody Pirates.

Thanks in advance.

(This was brought about by a review of Burnout Paradise I just read - any good?)

Your best bet is to go with the wireless adaptor from Microsoft, I tried using another adaptor and it didnt work but to be fair to Microsoft the network adaptor is argubly better than most PC ones and is easy to set up plug in enter your wep code on the 360 and go.

Still the machine should have been wireless from the off

Well thanks for the tips guys I bit the bullet and got the adapter along with a copy of the new burnout and it's well worth the investment.

I might start playing pro evo online again but from what I've read on here it's pretty poor overall. Great shame maybe they will sort it out in the next version (and some licenced teams might be nice)

For those who haven't played Burnout Paradise yet its fantastic although a bit confusing at first with all the different options. It's kept all the addictive gameplay of the older versions but has been developed in all the right areas. Immensely satisfying gaming experience although by the looks of it you have to play through a fair whack of single player to get more cars to race online. In fact whilst Im on the subject I keep getting totalled by other cars that I didn't think were as strong as mine - even when I ram them - any ideas?

Archived