BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Player Contracts

This summer has seen the club generate a lot of money while spending very little. It's perfectly understandable that the club have chosen to reduce debts but I would argue that the extent to which they have done it has been unfair on the manager and to the detriment of the first team.

It's clear that part of the reason the board have done this is that the squad and cost of wages is too high. In my opinion, the last few years have seen us be too generous with some of our players. We have handed out pay rises and extensions to average players like Roberts, Pedersen, Reid and even Andrews.

I have been wondering how long some of these average and/or injury prone players have got left on their contracts. Surely a better way of cutting costs in the future would be to follow a policy of having a much smaller squad. We could still tie the better players down but just be a lot stricter with squad men like Roberts, Reid etc.

Below is a list of players who I hope aren't on long contracts:

Roberts: Has never been any good, moans at the ref all the time, can't trap a ball, can't finish.

Pedersen: Might be improving a bit this season but I wouldn't offer anything new to him yet. I'm sure his wages are already high enough as they are.

Reid: Shame he got so badly injured but surely we can't continue handing money to him for nothing?

Nelsen: Some might not like this but he is on the decline and got put on a massive contract before his serious injury. Given his wages and our strength at the back I think someone younger and cheaper could replace him.

Dunn: Still very talented but I hope any new contract would be strictly on a pay per play basis.

EHD: Probably got a few years left but with Hoillet coming through and him having no pace or goal threat I think we could afford to lose him too. Sure his wages will be pretty high too.

Benni: Obviously out of favour and on high wages. We might still get a fee for him if we sell soon but, if not, then I hope he won't be waiting around for years.

Brown: Too short and can't kick. Bunn and Fielding are promising so we don't need him.

Obviously, it would be good if we got cash offers for all the above but I won't be holding my breath. Does anybody have any idea how many years each player has left? They must be costing millions every year whilst offering little.

It's essential that we begin to streamline our squad by getting the duds off the wage bill instead of selling our best players all the time. Then we can concentrate on bringing the youngsters through and we might even have the means to support our managers in buying players for the first team.

Not the names you mentioned but I believe that the contracts of Judge, Treacy and Hoilett expire this summer.

I forgot that Hoillet's was expiring. What is going on there? He should be signed up immediately. If we lose him it will be another massive kick in the teeth to the fans.

Hoilett has already agreed a new deal, it just needs endorsing and was agreed in principle before his work permit hearing.

Dunn/ Reid and MGP are all in the last year of their current deals.

Roberts I beleive extended his deal last season so he has 3 years left.

Benni - 2 and a half years left.

EHD - 2 yrs left.

Nelsen - 3 years (signed a new deal last year).

Brown last year hopefully.

Hoilett has already agreed a new deal, it just needs endorsing and was agreed in principle before his work permit hearing.

Dunn/ Reid and MGP are all in the last year of their current deals.

Roberts I beleive extended his deal last season so he has 3 years left.

Benni - 2 and a half years left.

EHD - 2 yrs left.

Nelsen - 3 years (signed a new deal last year).

Brown last year hopefully.

Hoillet: Good news

Dunn/Reid/MGP: Good news. Offer Dunn a pay per play and keep the other two hanging.

Roberts: Can't remember him getting an extension. Was that under Ince or Sam? Shocking player, shocking decision.

Benni: I like Benni but looks like we should sell him ASAP in that case.

EHD: I thought he might have longer but we shoudln't look to extend him. Can't believe how much pace he has lost since his Bolton days.

Nelsen: I heard that he was given 40,000 per week after the Portsmouth interest a few years back. He was worth it then but isn't now.

Brown: Let it expire.

Rigters: How long does he have left?

My worry is what we will replace them with if they don't sign new contracts? some of those players would be very hard to replace if we only have wages to do it with and no fees because they all leave on frees.

It's been said that the reason Sam cannot spend the money he has received this summer is because there is no room on the wage budget. I'm not sure if this is true or not.

Regardless, we cannot continue to continue paying out to players who are always injured or who are just plain short of the required ability.

It's been said that the reason Sam cannot spend the money he has received this summer is because there is no room on the wage budget. I'm not sure if this is true or not.

Regardless, we cannot continue to continue paying out to players who are always injured or who are just plain short of the required ability.

If players get injured they get injured its part of the game.

I hope the plan is to raise all this cash in anticipation of having a giant spending spree next summer, but if it is I'd like some now to pay for even a loan player without any more sales.

According to my records:

Robinson 2013

Samba 2012

Nelsen 2012

Emerton 2012

Dunn 2010

Benni 2011

Grella 2012

Pedersen 2010

Zurab 2011

Reid 2010

Andrews 2013

Diouf 2012

Givet 2013

Treacy 2010

Judge 2011

Olsson 2012

Roberts 2011

Brown 2011

Bunn 2012

Doran 2012

Gunning 2012

Jacobsen 2011

N'Zonzi 2013

van Heerden 2011

Hoilett 2010

Chimbonda 2011

Kalinic 2013

Salgado 2011

Fielding 2010

Rigters 2011

According to my records:

Robinson 2013

Samba 2012

Nelsen 2012

Emerton 2012

Dunn 2010

Benni 2011

Grella 2012

Pedersen 2010

Zurab 2011

Reid 2010

Andrews 2013

Diouf 2012

Givet 2013

Treacy 2010

Judge 2011

Olsson 2012

Roberts 2011

Brown 2011

Bunn 2012

Doran 2012

Gunning 2012

Jacobsen 2011

N'Zonzi 2013

van Heerden 2011

Hoilett 2010

Chimbonda 2011

Kalinic 2013

Salgado 2011

Fielding 2010

Rigters 2011

Jeez, only a complete incompetent would give Rigters a contract until 2011. Sack the manager... oh, wait...

:D

Jeez, only a complete incompetent would give Rigters a contract until 2011. Sack the manager... oh, wait...

:D

Hughes gave him a 4 year deal at summer 2007.

Andrews has four years to run?? Isn't he 30 odd now?

He got a new contract couple of months ago.

Archived