BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Calling All Teachers

I have been offered a place on the PGCE route at the University of Cumbria for September 2010! Very happy, i understand it will be hard work but am totally up for it!

Which campus are you going to be based at? I went there to do the 3 year teaching degree before I screwed it all up at the end. I was at the Ambleside campus, which is now closed to Undergrads!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done and welcome to the world of charity. 0.8 position? That means they will pay you 80% of a full-time position to do the work of at least 1.5 to 2 people. :rolleyes: Avoid getting involved in internal politics like the plague, beware of having committee work dumped on you, and keep on top of the admin work. Also, take part in any teacher training or faculty development activities that you can. If you can do that and still have a smile on your face, you'll be half way there. As long as you have just one or two students that are capable and willing to learn, it is worth it.

And, finally, make sure you keep relationships with your students on a professional level. The students may be similar to you in age, some even older than yourself perhaps, and it's easy to become matey with them. But resist the temptation and always keep a healthy distance from your students. When the inevitable problems with students do arise (grade queries, etc.), at least you won't have to deal with any complicating factors that come from being friends with them.

Good luck to you! :brfc:

Thanks for the advice. I'm not too fussed about the amount of work involved as I'm just grateful to have a job with all the cuts around right now. I'm also more than happy with the 80% as it seems rather generous to me after four years in HE (undergrad degree/PGCE this past year) :) Can't wait to finally get the contract signed and move down to the area now.

Guest Wen Y Hu

Thanks for the advice. I'm not too fussed about the amount of work involved as I'm just grateful to have a job with all the cuts around right now. I'm also more than happy with the 80% as it seems rather generous to me after four years in HE (undergrad degree/PGCE this past year) :) Can't wait to finally get the contract signed and move down to the area now.

Yeah, it's exciting stuff - any new challenge is.

Just one further point on the 0.8 thing: I don't know if you have already negotiated this, but the best way to ensure that the college does not take advantage of you is to limit your physical presence on campus to 0.8 of the working week; that is, 4 days a week. The college will have no problem with that. What you do with that other one day a week should be of no business whatsoever to the college, but it will make things a lot easier for both yourself and your department if you have an actual commitment on that one day a week (or two half-days even) that makes you unavailable for duties.

Teaching at another institution is fine and will broaden your experience as well as bump your income up or, if you don't need the extra burden of adding to your teaching load at this stage, register on a course to add to your qualifications and devote your "free" time to that. Your department should be very supportive of this and you may be able to seek financial support for such professional development.

With teaching experience under your belt and extra qualifications, you will then be in a strong position to push for a full post as and when it comes available. Or, you can marry an American, invest £3000 in getting a green card and p* off to Florida - although, that doesn't always work out as planned...

:unsure:

Crazy.

Someone has dropped out of the GTP. I've been offered a place.

Been a crazy few days but I'm no longer going to Florida.

Life is an amazing journey sometimes.

Ahh, well... His mum loves him. Just wait till he tells the wife, though. Ouch!! :D

Let us know when you can walk again, BPF. :P

With teaching experience under your belt and extra qualifications, you will then be in a strong position to push for a full post as and when it comes available. Or, you can marry an American, invest £3000 in getting a green card and p* off to Florida - although, that doesn't always work out as planned...

:unsure:

Ahh, well... His mum loves him. Just wait till he tells the wife, though. Ouch!! :D

Let us know when you can walk again, BPF. :P

Haha, thank you Wen.

Thankfully, we had only just started the immigration process that way so the main costs have not yet been paid. She has been incredibly supportive and I'm extremely impressed at her ability to see past what she wants in order to see what is clearly best for the both of us. She's the best! Just got to confirm everything tomorrow and then look forward to September.

I have been offered a place on the PGCE route at the University of Cumbria for September 2010! Very happy, i understand it will be hard work but am totally up for it!

congrats mate, a girl I work with now is heading up to Cumbria to do the primary PGCE in Sept!

I can't believe its only 2 months away now, scary stuff!

Crazy.

Someone has dropped out of the GTP. I've been offered a place.

Been a crazy few days but I'm no longer going to Florida.

Life is an amazing journey sometimes.

Awesome news mate!

what does the other half make of it?

perhaps we can have that pint at Ewood afterall :D

congrats mate, a girl I work with now is heading up to Cumbria to do the primary PGCE in Sept!

I can't believe its only 2 months away now, scary stuff!

Awesome news mate!

what does the other half make of it?

perhaps we can have that pint at Ewood afterall :D

We've spent the last few days discussing it. The thing that we keep coming back to is that this represents a settled and good life for both of us and that we have too much here to give up for what is nothing more than a desire.

This season, we'll meet up for a beer, for sure! :)

Archived