BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Calling All Teachers

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No. I simply cannot afford to do it. Even a year on reduced salary is a stretch.

It seems like you have put alot of effort in and i hope you make the cut. However, what will you do if unsuccessful?

I am lucky in the fact that i still live at home and have a good job so have put a fair bit away over the last year or so. Include the bursary and loans and i am pretty comfortable if successful with my PGCE application.

Thanks for that, I've been working / thinking about this to an almost constant level since September 09. I should mention that I first applied to go on the PGCE back in 2006 so this is a four year journey.

I've also been fortunate at points with jobs (Though the last few years have been tough). I bought a new car just before being made redundant (D'oh) but I still have a bit stashed away. Although I think if I used the house deposit to support me the wife would kill me.

If I don't get on the GTP, I have a big decision to make. Either I stay in my current job (Which I love but I've taken a big pay drop to do it) and try again next year or I finally give up on it and go back into either Marketing or I.T.

All the best with your PGCE mate. Not sure how, but if I can ever be of help, send me a message.

Fingers crossed mate. Hope you get through.

How old are you? Why did you not take the PGCE route in 2006?

I'm 25.

I applied for it but was not accepted. The PGCE is getting almost as competitive as the GTP these days. Back in 2006 though, I was applying for a subject which had little relevance to me or my degree so I can see why I wasn't accepted.

Thank you for the luck! Letter didn't arrive today, so expecting it tomorrow!

I'm 25.

I applied for it but was not accepted. The PGCE is getting almost as competitive as the GTP these days. Back in 2006 though, I was applying for a subject which had little relevance to me or my degree so I can see why I wasn't accepted.

Thank you for the luck! Letter didn't arrive today, so expecting it tomorrow!

I thought you were older with the mention of a wife and cars and a house.

I wouldn’t personally make any rash decisions. If you become a teacher then you have a career for life and that will be at least another 45 years of work. If it something you REALLY want to do then apply in any shape or form you can. You don’t want it on your mind every time you go into your Marketing or IT post. Or in 10 years time you decide you made a massive mistake by not perusing it and it may be definitely not economically viable to do it then!

I want to teach ICT (think you do too) but my degree is only made up of 30% ICT related modules, so I am probably going to miss out this year. However, while undertaking observation days in a school this year I was advised to undertake a Business Studies route as this easily leads to ICT and I have more chance of getting onto the course. So I shall be applying next year for two different routes. The only downside is the smaller bursary to help me through financially.

I too am taking a large pay drop but if I make the difference to one kid, my job as a teacher will have been a success! Helping people is what I like doing, it is in my nature – I am not so keen on working my ass off so my boss can change his Aston Martin every two years!!

Sorry to hear the news BPF. I have managed to get an interview at the University of Cumbria for either:

1. Acceptance onto the course this year (if I can show my subject knowledge) or

2. I am put on the waiting list for the Enhancement Course as it is currently full

They have only given me two weeks to prepare for it which I believe to be a little short as while researching through Google many people have had 5 – 8 weeks to practise, plan and so on.

I have to write a 500 word essay on my own experiences of pupil behaviour, how much i agree with what Blamires argues in his “Why Teachers Have to be Social Workers: Adlerian Individual Psychology and Positive Approaches to Behaviour Management: A Lost Legacy in the UK” paper.

I also have to undertake a micro lesson (10 minutes) and a one to one interview. A lot to take in while having a full-time job.

Any tips on an ICT micro lesson aimed at Year 7’s (but presenting to adults) would be very helpful.

Do i interact with my audience in the micro lesson?

Any help much appreciated!!

YES! Interviewing person after person is boring as hell! Do something that makes you stand out in their mind!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear you didn't get in fella - keep the faith, if this is what you wana do then you have def made the right decision to go down the PGCE route.

onwards and upwards, perhaps we can share a graduation drink at ewood in the summer of 2011! :D

Sorry to hear you didn't get in fella - keep the faith, if this is what you wana do then you have def made the right decision to go down the PGCE route.

onwards and upwards, perhaps we can share a graduation drink at ewood in the summer of 2011! :D

That would be good Sam. I'm afraid that major things have changed though. I'm now moving to Florida in April 2011. If you are ever over there though, I'll buy you a pint!

Sorry to hijack the thread, but how have you managed to get a Green Card to move to Florida? They are barely letting English skilled people in never mind anyone else? Are you going over there on a work-visa etc? I'm trying to find a way into the country on a permanent basis now I'm a qualified teacher that's all :) Your better off moving to Florida anyway than trying to get into education in this country, way too much money being removed from the sector at present.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but how have you managed to get a Green Card to move to Florida? They are barely letting English skilled people in never mind anyone else? Are you going over there on a work-visa etc? I'm trying to find a way into the country on a permanent basis now I'm a qualified teacher that's all :) Your better off moving to Florida anyway than trying to get into education in this country, way too much money being removed from the sector at present.

As American has said, the only way to do it is to be married to an American.

I've been married to one for nearly three years.

I should add though that it's not that easy.

It's cost us well over £3000 in immigration fees and many months of stress.

Off to Vegas I go then :rolleyes:

After the first time you go and meet someone:

You have to come back to apply for Fiancee Visa first..

Now you can go back to Vegas

Get married

Then a marriage visa...

Then you start the green card process...

There are three major stages...

Now you can live there....

But you are $5000 poorer. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I applied for a 0.8 Lecturer in Sport job at Suffolk New College a while back, got invited for the interview this past Wednesday and received the call today offering me the job :)

Looks like i'll be moving to Ipswich :)

Guest Wen Y Hu

I applied for a 0.8 Lecturer in Sport job at Suffolk New College a while back, got invited for the interview this past Wednesday and received the call today offering me the job :)

Looks like i'll be moving to Ipswich :)

Well done and welcome to the world of charity. 0.8 position? That means they will pay you 80% of a full-time position to do the work of at least 1.5 to 2 people. :rolleyes: Avoid getting involved in internal politics like the plague, beware of having committee work dumped on you, and keep on top of the admin work. Also, take part in any teacher training or faculty development activities that you can. If you can do that and still have a smile on your face, you'll be half way there. As long as you have just one or two students that are capable and willing to learn, it is worth it.

And, finally, make sure you keep relationships with your students on a professional level. The students may be similar to you in age, some even older than yourself perhaps, and it's easy to become matey with them. But resist the temptation and always keep a healthy distance from your students. When the inevitable problems with students do arise (grade queries, etc.), at least you won't have to deal with any complicating factors that come from being friends with them.

Good luck to you! :brfc:

And well done to vintageadidas, too. Hope it goes well for you.

Archived